The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: 10 Day $$ Down the Hole  (Read 1293 times)

Offline FENNDANGO

• IceShanty Rookie
10 Day $$ Down the Hole
« on: Feb 27, 2022, 03:43 PM »
Does anyone else find the 10 day VT baitfish law not only inconvenient but very expensive? Shiners are not cheap. In years past I've said screw VT and bought licenses in other states instead.

Offline EyERipLip

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Above the Ice, under the influence
Re: 10 Day $$ Down the Hole
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2022, 04:20 PM »
I’m lucky to have a bait shop somewhat close and don’t ever buy 10 day supply at a time so no. It’s a lot better than the 48 and 72hr rules we did have. All of it seems pointless to me though.

Offline cbice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2022, 07:59 PM »
The 1st few years we could only buy bait for that day.  So ridiculous to have to dump your bait on the ice after a day of fishing.  Even though they’ve change the rules I still haven’t fished for pike the last 2 seasons.  The bait $ just keeps me away.

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2022, 08:38 PM »
I know the loop hole in our law is that you just get more bait added to your current bait and get the bait shop to write you a new bait slip any good bait shop will do that for you well at least mine does here in NY as our is also a 10 day law
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline FENNDANGO

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 01, 2022, 01:11 PM »
A bait shop told me there was a meeting about this not too long ago and only six people showed up to it in Brattleboro.

Im curious as to why 10 days. I don't believe MA or NH has any limitations on how long you can keep bait. What's the science behind all this..

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #5 on: Mar 01, 2022, 09:03 PM »
Not sure what the issue is? Aside from having really good water, commercial bubbler, keeping bait in a big bucket is not easy beyond 3-4 days.
I know a few guys who catch smelt and keep them all winter. They actually are outside the 10 day rule as the have the endorsement on there license
to catch, transport an use smelt from approved waters  on other approved waters. For example you can catch smelt from Seymour, Willy, Joes, Peacham
get the baitfish endorsement on your fishing license and use those smelt on other lakes within East or West region were the smelt were caught.   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.