The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: 12 -15 tipups in Vermont. Hard to believe!!  (Read 5270 times)

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
12 -15 tipups in Vermont. Hard to believe!!
« on: Dec 31, 2011, 11:33 AM »
 ??? ??? :tipup:  Ok! I've ice fished many times in Vt. but the concept of really fishing a dozen or more tipups per person seems impractical??    Skimming out holes and checking shiners on a half dozen tipups every 20 minutes is the way to catch more fish and all that I seem to be able to keep up with.   Somebody will have to tell me why a dozen tipups is realistic??

Dick

Offline crappie_chaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: 12 -15 tipups in Vermont. Hard to believe!!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2011, 11:39 AM »
It is all about what you grew up with. When I fish with the kids, they get 15 for each of them. We have fished as many as 60. If the bite is on hard we scale it back, but when it is light bite then is is very easy to fish that many. I couldn't imagine just fishing 2-6. Seems kind of boring to me.
Every man is perceived a wise man, until they speak

Offline vtbuckrulrss

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2011, 11:39 AM »
Well, i suppose it depends upon what species you are fishing for.  If just going for perch, i wouldn't even think of using a tip up and just jig for them.  But when I go for lakers or northerns i like to cover as much area as i can, with bait at different depths.  When i have a snowmachine available to me, i will set my laker tip ups as far as 200 yards, or more,  away, and monitor them with binoculars.
Silly rookies, traps are for animals!!  Tilts are for kids!!  Fishermen use tip ups!

Offline RipSomeLips22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2011, 11:58 AM »
got to be careful setting tip ups that far apart, some of the game wardens might cite you on that even using binoculars and having a sled.

Offline finlessbrown

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2011, 01:10 PM »
some days you could have 30 tip-ups and have no problem keeping up with them, when the bite is off. if i was limited to just 3 or 4 i probably wouldn't fish very often

Offline Magog Landshark

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2011, 01:25 PM »
I'm with Vtbuck.  depends on where you are and what your going for.  Me and a friend have set up 16 tip ups before sunrise on Willoughby and had no flags then just picked up after lunch. 

Setting tip ups for perch on Magog and you generally get to about the fourth one and one of the first two has a flag.  Its all relative
Farewell and adieu, to you fair spanish ladies. Farewell and adieu, you ladies of Spain. For we've just received orders, for to sail back to Boston. And so nevermore, shall we see you again.
-Quint

Offline DyingBreed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DYING BREED
« Reply #6 on: Dec 31, 2011, 03:31 PM »
 I for one am fine with 4 or 5 jacks and a jig stick. If an area seems to be hot I'll just move some tip ups in. Just drill a few extra holes @ first. The same goes if an area is not hot you can move them to different holes without loseing your shirt on shiners. Jig when slow....chase flags when they fly. However you do it.... Enjoy and be safe.
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy !  Fish on, gotta go ..........!!!

Offline Hardwater fisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 31, 2011, 04:18 PM »
I fish with 14tip ups and a jig stick in hand when i'm on the big lake!!!  If I had to sit and watch 2-4 tip ups I would stay home and watch paint dry!!!!!

Offline drfhaha123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 31, 2011, 04:22 PM »
Lake Champlain is 15 other lakes have different rules,I think it's great to have 15 or whatever you can keep up on.

Offline Little Brown Dog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • My fishing partner
« Reply #9 on: Dec 31, 2011, 04:23 PM »
Try fishing walleye on Champlain.  You will wish you had 50 tipups!

"My biggest worry is that when I die, my wife will sell all of my ice fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it"

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 31, 2011, 04:32 PM »
 :tipup: :tipup: :)  It would seem that if you need 15 tipups to keep each person into fish than you are doing something wrong or your in the wrong place ???  Tipups baited with shiners need to be "shaken up" every 20 minutes or so.   I'm shocked when I see fishermen set out dozens of tipups over acres of lake and then disappear into a shanty or hop on a snow machine not touch any of the tipups unless a flag pops up!!

If I tend them regularly 5 tipups and 1 jig hole keep me busy all day and I catch lots of fish.

Dick

Offline fishinaround

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 31, 2011, 04:54 PM »
I think I would lose it if I was fishing lakers with more than 7 or 8. Maybe I am impatient but, sinking a shiner 50+ just rubs me the wrong way. Guess that why I fish warm water species!. Aren't most lakes other than Champ and the CT River only allowed 8 lines in VT, with the exception of Seymour which I think is 4.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there would be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline Magog Landshark

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 31, 2011, 05:52 PM »
I see where you coming from.  However moving around to check traps on Willoughby where the trout are line shy and skittish a H E double hockey sticks is not a good idea. 

Ive been on willoughby, drilled holes with a hand auger, set up just before daylight, kept my movement to a minimum and got a rainbow shortly after setting up.  Then had  a guy come with a power auger and four wheeler and set up near me and had no flags while this was going on.  About 40 minutes after things had quieted down then got another flag, another bow.  Fish know.  the big trout in willoughby didn't get that big by being stupid.

Other lakes like Magog, doesn't matter, you can jump up and down on the ice and armpit fart the battle hymn of the republic.  That's just a noisier lake and the fish have come to tolerate it. 
Farewell and adieu, to you fair spanish ladies. Farewell and adieu, you ladies of Spain. For we've just received orders, for to sail back to Boston. And so nevermore, shall we see you again.
-Quint

Offline CJiceaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 31, 2011, 07:13 PM »
:tipup: :tipup: :)  It would seem that if you need 15 tipups to keep each person into fish than you are doing something wrong or your in the wrong place ???  Tipups baited with shiners need to be "shaken up" every 20 minutes or so.   I'm shocked when I see fishermen set out dozens of tipups over acres of lake and then disappear into a shanty or hop on a snow machine not touch any of the tipups unless a flag pops up!!

If I tend them regularly 5 tipups and 1 jig hole keep me busy all day and I catch lots of fish.

Dick
It depends what you are fishing for. If you fish for trophy lakers or pike, it doesn't work like that:)

Offline campfindit2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 31, 2011, 07:27 PM »
No ones making you use 15. Do what your comfortable with.

Offline 1Badboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 31, 2011, 07:55 PM »
i ve never used that many , but would if i could ...just improves chances , i mean thats why we re out there right ?

Offline cbice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 31, 2011, 08:25 PM »
I usually have 15 out on Champlain unless it's a "hot" day.  Last spring on my last outing I could barely get 10 out because I had flags popping all around me.  I had only bought 2 dozen shiners and ended up having to jig perch for bait.  Those days are few and far between so it's nice to be able to up your chances with more lines in the water.  Of course it's a bit rough on the wallet.   

Offline finlessbrown

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 31, 2011, 08:48 PM »

Dick
i go fishing to have fun and relax a little bit, not to work. i'll check them every hour or so but if i wanted to do work i'd be doing something i could get paid for.

Offline getemup

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 31, 2011, 08:54 PM »
personally i wouldnt be checking or disturbing my bait every 20 minutes. that being said i usually dont get more than 8 or 10 at the most cuz of flags or maybe some jiggin.  if im setting up for dark to dark i may get a dozen out.  this is all circumstantal of course... what your targeting , action etc..

Offline wilec

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • support our troops
« Reply #19 on: Dec 31, 2011, 09:03 PM »
really Dick to each his own i know many successful Pike fisherman that set out 15 and then move some here and there.  maybe im misunderstanding you but you sound as though your way is the best way

Offline MikeVT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 31, 2011, 11:58 PM »
Easy to set up 15 on Champlain for lakers.  The part that sucks is winding them at the end of the day with frozen fingers. 
A bent rod is a good rod!

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 01, 2012, 07:20 AM »
 :tipup: :tipup:  Hey! understand that I go crazy when I fish NH laker water and I can only use two tipups and I can't keep salmon :P    So I guess I should be happy to use a dozen in Vt.    But I only have 6 good tipups  and I can't afford any more!   I ice fish for fillets so I guess I do see it more as hard fishing and not just socializing and drinking(OK!  Maybe that part)

As mentioned in previous post, it all depends on the kind of fishing we do and the way we were brought up?     "It is just the way my Grampa taught me  ;)  I don't have a snow machine or 4Wheeler and I won't drive my truck on the ice!! 

Dick

Offline DyingBreed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DYING BREED
« Reply #22 on: Jan 01, 2012, 11:32 AM »
Try fishing walleye on Champlain.  You will wish you had 50 tipups!
                                                                      AMEN
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy !  Fish on, gotta go ..........!!!

Offline mroy44

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 01, 2012, 01:40 PM »
I dont think i could stand having 3 or four a person, imagine going out in a group of five and having 15 tip ups out!  That would suck.  Although it would be a lot cheaper !!!!

Good fishin!!  Nugent 2012!

Offline vaughan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 02, 2012, 02:57 PM »
In CT this year we can have 6 for each child and each grownup, was 2 for children before.  We go up to Lk Champlain and do 15 each and have a great time looking for Pike.  We love it.  Like they said, you don't have to use the 15 if you don't want to so everyone should be happy with the 15 rule for Lk Champlain and happy with the 8 rule for most of the rest of VT.

Offline northern nightmare

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When hell freezes over i'll ice fish there too.
« Reply #25 on: Jan 02, 2012, 05:34 PM »
Go big or go home ;D If we could run 30 I would. I love chasing flags!

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 03, 2012, 04:25 PM »
got to be careful setting tip ups that far apart, some of the game wardens might cite you on that even using binoculars and having a sled.
I fish Willoughby and set my tip-ups from one side of the lake to the other( devils rock area) away from folks and the warden nevers says boo, watch them with binocs and walk to them when/if i get a flag-totally legal !

Offline vtbuckrulrss

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 03, 2012, 05:34 PM »

I have had wardens check me, and set up next to me  while conducting a surveinace op.  Never had a problem.
Silly rookies, traps are for animals!!  Tilts are for kids!!  Fishermen use tip ups!

Offline vtbuckrulrss

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 03, 2012, 05:37 PM »
I dont think i could stand having 3 or four a person, imagine going out in a group of five and having 15 tip ups out!  That would suck.  Although it would be a lot cheaper !!!!

The best thing about setting up with a bunch of guys is you find out quickly if there are fish in the area or not.. Lots of fun.  I think the most we ever had n one spot was 7 or 8, with 8 tip ups set out each.  Time flies by like that.  And the food!!!

Offline mroy44

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jan 04, 2012, 06:17 AM »
The best thing about setting up with a bunch of guys is you find out quickly if there are fish in the area or not.. Lots of fun.  I think the most we ever had n one spot was 7 or 8, with 8 tip ups set out each.  Time flies by like that.  And the food!!!
Yeah fishing tip ups with a group of guys is so much fun, you dont necassarily have to set up a million but enough to cover some ground.  Although we always use the 15 per person to our advantage and set them all up.

Good fishin!!  Nugent 2012!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.