Author Topic: Anyone Using the new Buzz Stix ???  (Read 2666 times)

Offline mod_auger

• Team IceShanty Regular
Anyone Using the new Buzz Stix ???
« on: Dec 17, 2003, 05:23 PM »
Just wondering if anyone is having success or failure with the new buzz stix. Please let everyone know how they work and if it is worth investing in one. This has been a big topic as of late, so let's hear the reviews......
Play 'em if you wanna fillet 'em!

Offline the Wizard

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re:Anyone Using the new Buzz Stix ???
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2003, 07:21 PM »
 Yea.  I went and bought one at gander mt. 29$ w/reel.   The reel ain't bad ,the viberating pole idea is cool, but from what I can tell ,with monofil line the vibes don't make it to the jig.  I tried it in my fish tank as well..It doesn't look like it moves it at all.  
  Out on the lake I used it in front of some gills I did catch fish but none of them hit when I pushed the button /could have been the day/the weather who knows.
If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so. – Thomas Jefferson

Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry. – Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2003, 07:39 PM »
I made my own version of a buzz stick with the vibrating motor from a pager, a button cell battery, and a micro switch just for something to do. I noticed that with monofilament line on - it didn't move the jig much at all also. I took off all the mono line and installed power pro line with a 2 foot mono leader. This made a big difference in how much the jig moved. Granted, I only had 4 feet of line hanging from the rod(don't know what kind of movement it'll have at 20 or 25 feet). Right now I believe the buzz stick will catch more fisherman than fish. Just my 2 cents.
Ken                                          

Offline hollis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2003, 07:38 AM »
Ok,..I'm looking at Hallmark ads on TV for christmas,...hummmmm they have some dancing snowmen,...when you make a sound they kinda jerk around,....double hummmm,..I can forsee a little rod in their hands a  radio near them to keep them activated!,..I suppose you can take them apart and only have the mechanism instead of the snowman but it might keep your game warden amused or confused and feverishly  looking for the rule book,..now,..you might have to clip that wire that goes to the singing part of them,........

(ideas like these is what gave my father headaches and rivals the time I made a robotic lawn mower)

Offline mrlongbeard1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flags up and rods bent...
« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2003, 09:28 AM »
 hollis: Maybe you should just tie those snowmen to the end of the line with a hook in them.LOL
When the ice is on. I'm on the ice.

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2003, 09:45 AM »
I tried the BuzzStixx in a GM store. They seem like they work but it just seemed to be a pain holding the button in. Besides that it seemed it would take the fun out of jigging - I wouldn't be giving the action the rods motor would. JMO  ;D
Those who are brave are free ..

Offline hollis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 18, 2003, 05:27 PM »
I  see that YOU TOO fail to appreciate my genius................ ...................... ............                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    hollis: Maybe you should just tie those snowmen to the end of the line with a hook in them.LOL

Gillfisher-WI

« Reply #7 on: Dec 18, 2003, 06:24 PM »
I purchased one, tried it out, and put it in the rod holder in the garage. I wont be taking it with me anymore, I do not think it works as intended. Mind you, this is only my opinion and you should try onr out yourself and come to your own conclusions. I can tell you that I had trouble with the little yellow rubber battery cover/ button falling off frequently. I tried loop knotts and tight knotts, light line and 4 lb line and the darn thing doesn't buzz the bait with more than a couple feet of line out in the water, out of the water is different and the jig bounces nicely. I feel I wasted my money on this purchase, and I'll say it again, "Some products are made to catch more fisherman than fish".

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 18, 2003, 08:16 PM »
I wonder if the vibration at the jig is so slight it can't be detected by the human eye but is enough for a fish to sense. I would really like to hear from someone who has done a comparison on the ice. An AquaVu would be great to see how fish react to a jig on a Buzz Stick and one on a regular rod fished right along side it. Wish I had ice now. I'd go right out and buy one just to put it to the test.
"Earth................. ...................... ... it's a dangerous place to live."      
        Chainsaw

iceman670

« Reply #9 on: Dec 19, 2003, 12:01 AM »
I have made one out of a battery operated tooth brush, {Drug Store}
5 bucks or less, I has all you need I.E. Battery, CounterWeighted Motor
and Switch. Just find one you like and carefully take it apart. You may have to buy two of them just in case.
Take a cheap light galyan pole $7:99 and just play with it till your happy.
For more action you can add a drop of silicone to the end of the motor.
Just keep on playing with it, You'll get it.

RonP

Offline bluecaddisfly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • TIGHT LINES AND SMOOTH DRAGS
« Reply #10 on: Dec 19, 2003, 06:24 AM »
JerryofWNY, I believe your right. From what I've seen, it's not supposed to be for deep {over 20 ft}water and it's only supposed to add vibration that would be similar to a micro bug. Look at how a midge, mayfly, etc. move in the water, not a prononced movement just tiny little vibes. In say ten or so feet of water with "shy" biters, I bet it could give you an advantage.

Offline the Wizard

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 19, 2003, 07:01 AM »
It might not even move the jig in 20 ft  of water, but may be there is a sound. Like I said in my first reply I used it last week fishing for gills, I had fish on the flasher and when I hit the button they didn't respond ;they didn't leave but they didn't bite ether, until I quit buzzing and started jigging..
  I will keep testing it though, it isn't a bad pole.  

:'(   H.W.W.
If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so. – Thomas Jefferson

Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry. – Thomas Jefferson

jiggaFL-18

« Reply #12 on: Dec 19, 2003, 08:02 AM »
hey somebody needs to make money as long as they keep making new things  they will buy..as a wise man i was always told never eat yellow snow

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.