Author Topic: tying 2 lines together  (Read 2373 times)

Offline swalleyi

• IceShanty Rookie
tying 2 lines together
« on: Dec 18, 2003, 07:15 AM »
I bought some #4 fireline that i want to tie to 6# mono. I tried the old blood knot about 10 times,couldn't get it. Besides a swivel what kind of knot should i use. i finally got it with a knot never used before. LOL
Repeat after me:   I'm a man, i can change, if i have to, i guess.

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
Re:tying 2 lines together
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2003, 07:18 AM »
I feel the best knot for this (and I've used it alot) is the back to back uni knot. Pretty simple to tie once you've done it a couple of times annd very strong.
Pete Lewis

DipLip

« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2003, 07:24 AM »
Becuase of how thin and slick the Fireline is, joining it to mono can be a real chore! I feel your pain. I use a #00 black ant swivel. But mainly, I find I can get away with tying it direct. But the lakes I fish recieve far, far less pressure than some of the ones in the US. I spooled up some 8# Power Pro and 2# Power Pro Ice last night. Good looking stuff.

Exudedude

« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2003, 07:30 AM »
Tie the blood knot again.. but this time tie a small overhand knot in the ends.  That way when the knot starts to slip it will catch on the overhand knot.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2003, 07:46 AM »
Go To,
http://www.netknots.com/

The Double Uni is a good knot, I like a Nail knot...tie an overhand knot in the end of the Fireline...and attach the mono by means of a Nail Knot.

I use this system to attach any type of mono to braided lines. It will not slip!

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline mnfishman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2003, 08:19 AM »
The UNI knot is the best for mono to fireline.  Inside the package of Fireline is usually instructions for tying this knot.  It also shows how to attach your jigs or lures to the fireline directly.

I have used the UNI knot in the winter and summer and the knot passes through the eyes real well even when you are casting.

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 18, 2003, 09:35 AM »
I have several poles spooled with 4# fireline i use a small swivel to tie my leader and fireline together. This makes it much easier to replace the leader, it's no fun trying to tie fancy knots on the ice.
There is nothing in the world I'd rather do than ice fish!

hooky

« Reply #7 on: Dec 18, 2003, 12:42 PM »
I have several poles spooled with 4# fireline i use a small swivel to tie my leader and fireline together. This makes it much easier to replace the leader, it's no fun trying to tie fancy knots on the ice.
                                                                                                                                                Does a vexilar pick up this added swivel??

Offline swalleyi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 19, 2003, 05:07 AM »
yes i went with the small swivel, tried it out last night worked fine. I thought it would keep snagging up in the reel,but it didn't.
Repeat after me:   I'm a man, i can change, if i have to, i guess.

greenhornet

« Reply #9 on: Dec 19, 2003, 06:00 AM »
whatever knot you use, put a little knot glue on it.

Offline Mazey

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Stay On Top!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 19, 2003, 03:25 PM »
I started using the Stren knot this year.  Similar to a uni to uni but stronger in my opinion. Here's a link:
www.stren.com/knot11.htm

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.