Author Topic: ATV's  (Read 2764 times)

Offline quickflip

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
ATV's
« on: Dec 16, 2003, 08:46 PM »
I'm considering an ATV and was wondering how many of you use and/or recommend one?    I will be pulling a 1 man portable, an HT Polar sled with power auger and other standards.  Also fishing medium bodies of water with periodic trips to Lake Champlain in VT.  Thank you for your feedback.

Offline fishfearme

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re:ATV's
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2003, 09:04 PM »
i have used mine for past two seasons mostly on oneida.love it,it is 4wd......beats walking.just an idea but remember to bring extra plugs with you.i fouled mine out in the middle of oneida last year.its a long push back .luckly someone was nice enough to pull it back for me......lesson learned!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline jamiehughes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • open water sucks!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2003, 11:21 PM »
Get a polaris and your plug problems are over as long as you keep it running right .

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2003, 06:05 AM »
I think an ATV is the way to go. Years ago when I lived on Honeoye Lake in NY I had a 3 wheeler and due to the fact I was mobile, I caught alot more fish than I would have without it. I'm looking for one as we speak.
Pete Lewis

Offline the Wizard

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2003, 06:36 AM »
I have a polaris 500 and it can haul  3 guys and3 huts easily I also use it on honeoye and silver  .    Being mobile does make it easier to fish , you can cover a lot more water , also if antthing happens you can get to the vehicle faster...
If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so. – Thomas Jefferson

Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry. – Thomas Jefferson

wendall

« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2003, 07:15 AM »
id like to find a cheap three wheeler.  nothing special.  if you know anyone in the chicago area with one, let me know.

wendall

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2003, 08:43 AM »
These two sites sometimes have three wheelers featured:
http://crashedtoys.com/
http://www.mrc-auctions.com/

Offline nunzio

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta love a day on the ice!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2003, 08:50 AM »
quickflip;
No matter which brand you choose get 4WD!! You will not regret that decision. As far as size....... a 500 isn't always necessary, if you don't plan on plowing or pulling large loads..... alot of nice 350 - 400's out there. They can still plow but lack weight for traction.

Personally I own a 2002 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO... very happy with my selection...... my deciding factor was comfort of ride. Not all mfgr's had IS then....The automatic tranny is a plus too, engine braking took some getting used to. My only complaint is that for the money they could put better rubber on them.

The new Polaris ATP looks sharp with that tilt box and built in storage....
Artic Cat has a real slick line of company add-ons, even a shack.

Fierce compitition out there, make them work for you business!

Offline kerosenecounty17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • kc17 - NE WI
« Reply #8 on: Dec 17, 2003, 10:50 AM »
I would recomend against the Arctic Cat's.  My brother's got a 300 Arctic cat 4x4, year 2000 if I remember correctly, and I just don't like it.  The transmission is a piece of crap.  Constantly a pain to shift gears.  The engine is decent, but really cold-blooded.  Another friend had the same machine and it didn't make it to 2000 miles.  Maybe the newer ones are higher quality.  And, this is coming from a life-long Cat man.  My first snowmobile was a 76 cheetah and I haven't owned anything else since.  

kerosene
"An ounce of biology is worth a pound of tackle."

-Gord Pyzer

The Wad

« Reply #9 on: Dec 17, 2003, 01:32 PM »
I have an arctic cat 400 and love it. As I've said before, I think that they all make pretty good machines, it's a matter of preference, and what features are important to you. I have about 1000 miles on mine, and I haven't had a single problem with it. I bought mine because my Dad had bought one before me, and his has also been flawless. I use it a lot, and I use it hard. Mine is an automatic with Fully independent suspension, both of which I think are worth the money. For me, the 400 has been plenty big, I plow snow, tow trailers full of firewood, hunt, fish, and do almost everything else with it, and have never encountered a situation where I needed more power. ATVs are a great ice fishing tool, check out bucketrack.com, they make a great rack for your fishing buckets. Like I said, I don't think you could go wrong with the quality that companies are putting into these new machines, but as far as experience, I can only speak for Polaris and Arctic Cat, I'm not a brand loyal kind of guy, but I love my Cat, I wouldn't trade it for anything. I used to own a Polaris Xplorer 400, myself and two other guys had continous problems with the starters going bad, and at about $250 per, that adds up fast. I was told by a Polaris mechaninc that it was because they were mounted on the bottom of the  engine. I do beleive the 4 strokes (Sportsman, magnum,) are good machines, without a lot of the problems I experienced.

The Wad

« Reply #10 on: Dec 17, 2003, 01:34 PM »
One more thing, mine is a 2003 model, and I don't know all of the differences mechanicaly, but I know that in 2002 Arctic Cat changed the appearance dramaticly, previous to 02, I think the Cat's looked like Cat Puke, but the newer ones look pretty bad Axx, expecially the lime green.

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #11 on: Dec 17, 2003, 05:48 PM »
nunzio, did you see the ATP in person? I did, man its trick. If you have  around 6 grand they are a good buy. Tons of storage, on demand true 4 wh. drive, 2 wd and turf mode which is 1 wheel drive so it doesn't tear up lawns on tight turns.
Cooooool :'(

Wscaman

« Reply #12 on: Dec 17, 2003, 08:30 PM »
I went overkill & Got the  New Arctic Cat 650, it uses the Kawasaki engine. It was reccomended to get the biggest, if I need to help someone I have the Tool to get the Job done. I did a lot of research and I like their MRP (Muilti Rack Platform) ice fishing shelter, & the Wheele Base & Clearance of 13". I know that even the 300 would still work for 1 Person. I Also purchased a Floe Aluminum trailer 8' * 54" to tow it , & also hook up to the ATV to Tow a partner or two.

Offline nunzio

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta love a day on the ice!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 17, 2003, 10:40 PM »
Wscaman;
Nice box of toys!! ;)

crappieloo;
Yes I have and they are sweet! This weekend I'm headed up to LOW. My friend up there has a Honda Rincon 500... he puts Mat Traxx on it for the winter.....No other sound like it on the ice.... and looks like it eats flesh!!   Looking to see how they handle in snow.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.