Author Topic: Tempting Fish to Bite… Are you sure? Chime in…  (Read 3482 times)

Offline IceRover

• Team IceShanty Regular
Tempting Fish to Bite… Are you sure? Chime in…
« on: Feb 19, 2007, 09:27 AM »
Tempting a fish to bite through the ice or open water for that matter, in  my own experiences have taught me that the lighter the line I use, as well as the less hardware attached to it has produced more action, more bites, more hook-ups and more fish landed, along with a number of fish lost, it’s sure. If you feel as sure of this as I do, please chime in, if not your opinion is welcome. I feel quite sure that the bigger fish as well as more fish will take the bait on this lighter tackle. The argument if any will most likely be the ability to land these fish on light tackle. I think that playing a good-sized fish on light tackle requires much practice and the ability to land them must be learned. Everyone has his or her own technique whether it is using the drag, back reeling, or even hand-over hand. I know we can get into rods and curves and actions and power but that is not what I’m asking.  The fishing pressure and educated fish of today along with inactive fish IMO, means that lighter more natural offerings must be used. I want to know how many of you are sure through your own experiences that more of  the bigger fish, and more fish are hooked using light line and little hardware, and are you willing to sacrifice the luxury of horsing them in for more bites and better results, and is that what you are currently doing?  Knowing and making  the sacrifice are two different things. Would appreciate your input & viewpoint. THX

Offline empty hook

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Tempting Fish to Bite… Are you sure? Chime in…
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2007, 10:34 AM »
Tempting a fish to bite through the ice or open water for that matter, in  my own experiences have taught me that the lighter the line I use, as well as the less hardware attached to it has produced more action, more bites, more hook-ups and more fish landed, along with a number of fish lost, it’s sure. If you feel as sure of this as I do, please chime in, if not your opinion is welcome. I feel quite sure that the bigger fish as well as more fish will take the bait on this lighter tackle. The argument if any will most likely be the ability to land these fish on light tackle. I think that playing a good-sized fish on light tackle requires much practice and the ability to land them must be learned. Everyone has his or her own technique whether it is using the drag, back reeling, or even hand-over hand. I know we can get into rods and curves and actions and power but that is not what I’m asking.  The fishing pressure and educated fish of today along with inactive fish IMO, means that lighter more natural offerings must be used. I want to know how many of you are sure through your own experiences that more of  the bigger fish, and more fish are hooked using light line and little hardware, and are you willing to sacrifice the luxury of horsing them in for more bites and better results, and is that what you are currently doing?  Knowing and making  the sacrifice are two different things. Would appreciate your input & viewpoint. THX

[/quot]  I fish with light line 2&3 lb for ice fishing and summer fishing for pannies and perch. Yes it has cost me some bigger fish but pretty rare.  I  no longer use 1 lb because the line manufacturers have advanced so far with 2 and 3 lb. With light line the  bait has more action, I don't even use a sinker with small tear drops,they fall slower.

Offline Medson25

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2007, 10:40 AM »
where i fish in colorado for trout i hear of people using 8-10lbs line. I use 4lbs. and seem to have a lot of luck. numerous times when done at the end of the day i have higher numbers and better quality of fish. now i can say for sure this is due to a lighter line, buti wouldn't think it could hurt. and just this past summer my gf landed her first pike. she was using 4lbs. test without a leader. the pike was 43inches. took her about 15 minutes to land it but thats most of the fun. I am thinking of switching to 2lbs. test on one rod just to see what happens.

Offline empty hook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2007, 10:55 AM »
where i fish in colorado for trout i hear of people using 8-10lbs line. I use 4lbs. and seem to have a lot of luck. numerous times when done at the end of the day i have higher numbers and better quality of fish. now i can say for sure this is due to a lighter line, buti wouldn't think it could hurt. and just this past summer my gf landed her first pike. she was using 4lbs. test without a leader. the pike was 43inches. took her about 15 minutes to land it but thats most of the fun. I am thinking of switching to 2lbs. test on one rod just to see what happens.
Not sure what part you are from but you ever fish Crawford res.  Good perch fishing, and of course there are trout.  Hard to beat perch for eating and fun to catch through the ice.

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2007, 12:08 PM »
It really depends on the fishing conditions of the day. Clear water will prompt a downsizing of line and lure. Stained water or fishing in heavy cover will warrant the use of heavier line and bigger baits with more sound. Also, if you want to slow the fall of a lure, use a bit heavier line and vise versa if you need to speed it up.
May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline PGKris

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Iceshanty Trout King
« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2007, 02:54 PM »
I am thinking of switching to 2lbs. test on one rod just to see what happens.

It won't make much difference, at least, it doesn't seem to here. I find that my Light with 4lb gets more hits than my Med with 6lb. But when I go to 2lb I can't tell the difference except that I have to play the fish more.

2007 Lake Trout Champion. Bring it on!

"I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude"
-Thoreau

Offline Mr.Vexilar

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 19, 2007, 03:05 PM »
im with you on the lighter tackle! for gills at least, all our rods are set up with button thread on spools, and the smallest jigs for gills, little bigger for specs, and 2 teeny tiny split shot above the jig about 1-1.5 ft

forgot to add that i have never had any break offs either,
kyle

Offline skidoowayne

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 19, 2007, 03:43 PM »
        I don't use anything heavier than 6lb. for any of my fishing.  I use 2lb. on my hardwater jig rods for crappies. Caught some decent fish and haven't had any break-offs so far. but if I do, I'd rather have hooked and lost than never to have hooked at all .

Offline putback

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 19, 2007, 06:44 PM »
For me the lighter the tackle the more fun. I'm  out there for a good time, enjoy a fish that beats me as much as the one's that don't, maybe more! Bet if you think about it you're fishing more intently with tackle that gives the fish an edge. Which means more action for you. Least thats the way I look at it.

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
« Reply #9 on: Feb 19, 2007, 09:20 PM »
Light floro line.(2#) tiny dropper below the main fly.
My first concern is hook the fish................Th en i'll worry about getting him out!!
Break offs are Rare with matched tackle.
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Offline IceRover

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 20, 2007, 05:24 AM »
To those of you who have replied I see your understanding of using lighter line and tackle. Glad to see it. When your sure of something like that it really boosts your confidence. If we were to share some info on this subject, I would say that the use of light line has one big caution. A reminder would be that 2lb line for instance has a breaking point of about 2-1/2 to 2-3/4 lb., tested that way many times. That gives us a slight edge there, but by using a poor knot choice, or badly tied knot, or weakened line from abrasion we cut that edge way down and we are now below the 2lb line strength were looking for. That's why I use a palomar knot and test it each new tie and also cut-off a couple of feet of line to insure no nicks or weak spots. There really isn't too much margin for error, but you can get alot out of that light tackle if you check the little things. Do you have anymore reminders? If so please post them, I would like to touch-up or learn something more about this if I can. I found your replies interesting and informative. Thx to all of you and I respect your thinking and your confidence.
just this past summer my gf landed her first pike. she was using 4lbs. test without a leader. the pike was 43inches. took her about 15 minutes to land it but thats most of the fun. I am thinking of switching to 2lbs. test on one rod just to see what happens.
Tell her congratulations, that's a great fish on 4lb. line and quite an angling feat. Good for her, and that's what were talking about. Bigger fish!
        I'd rather have hooked and lost than never to have hooked at all .
Well said, you have it!  ;)2
For me the lighter the tackle the more fun. I'm  out there for a good time, enjoy a fish that beats me as much as the one's that don't, maybe more! Bet if you think about it you're fishing more intently with tackle that gives the fish an edge. Which means more action for you. Least thats the way I look at it.
I'm glad you explain it so well. Thx
Light floro line.(2#) tiny dropper below the main fly.
My first concern is hook the fish................Th en i'll worry about getting him out!!
Break offs are Rare with matched tackle.
I'm glad you have learned how to satisfy that first concern. Thx for your input.

Offline diehard22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 20, 2007, 10:47 AM »
been my experience that if they are biting they're biting and I've had just as much luck on heavy gear as my light gear but this is more pike and walleye fishing I'm refering to. just my opinion
Rain, sun, sleet, snow grab the minnows and let's go!

Offline JAZII

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • NO FLASHER? NO FISH? NO KIDDING?
« Reply #12 on: Feb 20, 2007, 12:10 PM »
All my ice fishing is done with the jig rods anymore. I use 2# and 4# florol carbon line. The perch and trout I have entered in the tourny came on the 2# test, the carp came on the 4# test.
JAZII

2007 1ST Perch 15 5/16"   2007 1ST Brown Trout 28 3/8"
2008 1ST BlueGill 10 7/8"
2009 2ND Perch 15"
2010 2ND Perch 16 1/8"

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 20, 2007, 12:20 PM »
Nothing heavier than 1# for pannies
12-25# Salmon on 12 # test, or 4# leaders chuck and duck method.
Steelhead on 4# test
Spring Gills on 2-4#
Not the lightest, but it works!

More days than not, when everyone else in skiunked or almost, this light line with matching gear and terminal tackle produces limits. That has been the case all winter long.
There is not much arguement with what you say. People may disagree, but they are just wrong. Lightness does make a difference in number of hook-ups and the quality of those hook-ups. There may be some exceptions such as during spawning peaks or other agressive peaks, but its just that, exceptions.
Keep it light, keep the line tight!

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #14 on: Feb 20, 2007, 04:20 PM »
I do a ton of fly fishing open water and for you who also do you know that knocking your tippet size down just 1 size can make a world of difference, it realy sets in with you when you watch a big bruiser Brown sneak out from an over hanging tree to sneak a peak at your offering only to flip his tail at you when he sees the line or your fly doesn't look realistic enough up close. I have carried this thought process over to ice fishing, I fish a bit for lakers thru the ice and I have 3 jigin rods with 3 different size lines, 10# 8 # & 6#.I carry ten tip ups with me and am allowed to use 5, my tip ups are all rigged with different sized lines and each tip up are marked with what size line. You can bet that if I have say 1 tip up with 15 # 2 with 10# and 2 with 8# and the only flags flying are rigged with 8# then I am switching the others out. I have noticed on many occasions that light line is REQUIRED mid day for these fish especialy when the sun is beating down, overcast days or murky water conditions tend to let you beef things up, but knowing how to play heavy fish on light line is a key factor to landing a trophy fish.
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline jigmasterjr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 20, 2007, 05:23 PM »
i dont agree with it fully, finicky fish i believe the lighter # test the line helps but i regularly use 6-8 pound test and notice no difference when ive spooled up with 2/4 heck ive even used 15 # test in the summer for perch fishing after i went floundering and forgot to change my line back over to 6. Although I mainly use 6-8 not because i dont no how to use a drag or enjoy horsing fish in but more of neccessity due to continuous hazards such as snags and weeds where i fish.

Offline IceRover

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 21, 2007, 05:56 AM »
Some have suggested that lighter line does not matter so much. Well I disagree because finding a school of really hungry, feeding frenzy fish is rare in my experience, however I have run into it every once in awhile. everyone has I'm sure. In general though, it is a rare occurrence especially with sizable fish. Considering light conditions, water clarity, wind, weather, pressure, cover, etc; I will use the lightest line I can and still get the job done.Surely with light line, a needle-sharp small hook is necessary,just as you could not put a Muskie lure with big hooks and weight and expect to fish it on 2lb. test and successfully work the lure, set the hook and fight the fish and land him, you must keep in mind we are trying to tempt fish that are finicky or better said, using their survival instincts to the fullest. These bigger fish don't get that way because their careless. The more natural a offering appears and how close you can get it to them determines if they will sample it or not and give you a chance at them IMO. I do agree that using even a small weedless jig for instance in the weeds especially in open-water requires a slight bump in the lb. test to handle the setting of the stronger hook and fight the fish out of cover. Like RLWagner says, there are exceptions and we must compensate when necessary. Nowwww, if you want to talk provoking fish to bite, that is a whole new subject and another thread. We are talking tempting fish to bite here and that means they are well fed, but we make it easy for them to get something for nothing so to speak, and to do that we have to just plain fool them. The fish we catch IMO are not down there starving, they seem to do alright for themselves when we are not feeding them. Are they cautious, I think they are. Their life depends on it. The bigger fish are very wary and you can bet they have seen it all before.
it realy sets in with you when you watch a big bruiser Brown sneak out from an over hanging tree to sneak a peak at your offering only to flip his tail at you when he sees the line or your fly doesn't look realistic enough up close.
deadsmelthead, you could not be more right IMO, and I want to once again Thank everyone for their viewpoints on this subject. Keep your lines light and get ready to fight! :flex: ;)2

Offline cagetrapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta Love the Vexilar FL 18:
« Reply #17 on: Feb 21, 2007, 06:10 AM »
I know of some guys who use Sewing Thread for Hard Water Fishing. I use 3 lb fishing line even for Soft Water Fishing.

What I've found out where I usually fish is that most of the water is quite deep, so I want something that will handle a small sinker stationed up about 2 1/2 feet up from the Tear Drop.

I don't want to W A I T for my tear drop to fall down 25' Plus..I want it there now, to get my limit quick.

Stan

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 21, 2007, 06:27 AM »
I flyfish for trout, probably a lot more than I fish through the ice, mostly cause the ice doesn't seem to stay for long in my location. Living in the Northeast, the streams I flyfish, and the lakes I ice fish, are pounded to death. The special regs area (FFO) of the Little Lehigh could be the most heavily fished stream in the world; so it is a good place to observe the effects of constant pressure. The fish are sometimes tolerant of peoples presence, but extremely sensitive to drift, and especially leader size. I usually nymph with 6X tippet, with a 7X dropper. (both flouro-carbon) There are plenty of big trout, too; and probably 9 out of 10 fish hit the dropper, the thinner diameter. 4# mono used to be fine for ice fishing the local lakes, but now I start with 4# flouro, and then go to 2# in shallow water. There is no doubt in my mind that heavily pressured fish require finer line, and more subtle jigs and baits. Of course when you stumble into a crazy bite, those rules don't apply.

Offline IceRover

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 21, 2007, 02:27 PM »
There is no doubt in my mind that heavily pressured fish require finer line, and more subtle jigs and baits. Of course when you stumble into a crazy bite, those rules don't apply.
Spoken like a real confident sportsman who is sure. THX for chiming in with your opinion and viewpoint, and I agree.

Offline lotwfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 21, 2007, 03:13 PM »
All I can say is I landed a 38" muskie on 3lbs test line with a UL rod....Took a while but I think the drag is more important than heavy line.

Offline snaggerr

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep the beer in the shanty
« Reply #21 on: Feb 21, 2007, 10:01 PM »
Side by side when I fish in a shanty my uncle and my brother-in-law use heavier line than I .From what they learned ,the past years fishing with me,there jigging poles always run 2LB test know compared to 6-8Lb.Know it isn't a 5-1 ratio anymore, but I did like catching more fish for bragging rights.
[IMG]http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s109/snaggerr/IceShantyBanner-1.png[/imagine  Since there is six times as much water than land anyone can see that the good lord intended for man to fish six times more than he works.

Offline IceRover

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 22, 2007, 05:15 AM »
All I can say is I landed a 38" muskie on 3lbs test line with a UL rod....Took a while but I think the drag is more important than heavy line.
Hey... now that is quite an achievement! Fighting a fish like that on 3lb line & UL will most likely be something you will never forget. A great lesson in drag control huh? Good Job. ;)
Side by side when I fish in a shanty my uncle and my brother-in-law use heavier line than I .From what they learned ,the past years fishing with me,there jigging poles always run 2LB test know compared to 6-8Lb.Know it isn't a 5-1 ratio anymore, but I did like catching more fish for bragging rights.
Yeah... the proof is in the pudding, if you make up your mind to accept sacrifice every so often. Now you just have to share the Glory.  :D Can't imagine why some insist on such heavy tackle. :-\

Offline lotwfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 22, 2007, 08:35 AM »
Ya that muskie is my biggest fish through the ice so far....and being on my crappie gear it was quite a challenge....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.