Author Topic: Cusk  (Read 1939 times)

bubby

Cusk
« on: Dec 04, 2003, 03:18 PM »
I think I'm going to give a try fishing for cusk this season. What's the best technique? I've heard they bite best at night.

grumpymoe

Re:Cusk
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2003, 03:26 PM »
jack trap  cant keep them off at night--doesnt seem to matter what kind of bait you're using as long as its on or very near bottom.some nights you get tired of catching them-daytime seems muuuuuch slower ::) ::) ::)

Offline Jigmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If you ain't jigging you ain't fishin'
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2003, 06:08 PM »
I have had pretty good luck using dead smelts, shiners or any other bait fish, usually will take a knife and slice down both sides of fish just deep enough to release the oils from the skin and set it on bottom at night. Much slower in the day but still can be caught. Here in ME they move in shallows around mid March to prep for spawning the rest of the winter I try to find sunken islands or sand bars surrounded by deeper waters and fish the slopes. They are really active in the winter as cold water excites them. I have caught them jigging using nickle Swedish Pimples but the do not like to work for thier food so be real slow. Hope this helps you out. They are excellent eating very delicate white meat, they look like hell but that is only skin deep.

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2003, 09:49 AM »
Jack Trap  You need a good Lutefisk recipe.....LOL
There is nothing in the world I'd rather do than ice fish!

GentleBen

« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2003, 03:14 PM »
I'm a bit confused about the cusk. Once a year I go fishing off the east coast near Boston and we always catch a few cusk so I always assumed it was only a slat water fish. I guess my question is, do you also find them in fresh water ?

Offline Jigmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If you ain't jigging you ain't fishin'
« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2003, 03:27 PM »
The cusk is cod's freshwater cousin.

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 05, 2003, 04:45 PM »
The cusk is the same thing as a burbot.  which is also called a whole slough of other names.  Eelpout, lawyer, ling, ling cod(also a saltwater fish), lush, etc. there are more names for it then i can remember, but burbot is the excepted and most recognised name, followed closely by eelpout.

mooseslayer

« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2003, 12:19 AM »
I USE A WHOLE DEAD SMELT OR SUCKER ON A SZ.1 CIRCLE HOOK PLACED ON THE EDGE OF DEEP OPEN WATER. I USE CIRCLES BECAUSE CUSK TAKE LINE SLOWLY SO ONCE THEYRE ON JUST START TO PULL THEM IN AND ALSO THEYRE A PAIN TO GET OFF THE HOOK BECAUSE THEYRE SO SLIMY.CIRCLE HOOKS ARE EASIER BECAUSE THEYRE HOOKED ON THE SIDE OF THE MOUTH.HOPE I HELPED.GOOD LUCK!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.