Author Topic: What's a good amount of torque?  (Read 1962 times)

Offline Slabseek3r

• IceShanty Rookie
What's a good amount of torque?
« on: Dec 25, 2018, 12:01 PM »
Received a milwaukee m18 brushless, and am thinking about hooking it up to my auger. Would 500 inch-pounds be too little to turn an eskimo quantum 8in?
"I love the freedoms we got in this country, I appreciate your freedom to burn your flag if you want to, but I really appreciate my right to bear arms so I can shoot you if you try to burn mine"
-Johnny Cash

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: What's a good amount of torque?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 25, 2018, 12:05 PM »
That’s not going to cut it. You need at least 725in/lb for a 8”. But that should do a 6” ok.

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 25, 2018, 12:05 PM »
Minimum torque required for 8" auger is 725 in pounds
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #3 on: Dec 25, 2018, 12:32 PM »
i figure 100 inch pounds per inch of auger with sharp blades.

Offline Slabseek3r

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 25, 2018, 01:04 PM »
Does anyone have experience with the geared ice kicker? Would that possibly work?
"I love the freedoms we got in this country, I appreciate your freedom to burn your flag if you want to, but I really appreciate my right to bear arms so I can shoot you if you try to burn mine"
-Johnny Cash

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Dec 25, 2018, 07:06 PM »
i have zero experience with the ice kicker 2. it is chain drive and geared 2:1. looks heavy to me. would be a great option for under powered drills to turn augers it couldn't turn otherwise, but slowly.

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 26, 2018, 05:30 AM »
I have been wanting to pull the trigger on a brushless hammer drill. NONE OF THEM specify the torque rating on the box or the description of the tool on the ebay BIN auction I have looked at. Every time I copy and paste a number that a guy recommends here I will find that drill but there is always an "A" or "B" on the part number after the one that comes up in my search!! I have pretty much given up because I am SURE whatever comes to my door will not have enough torque
Go to Heaven for the climate, to hell for the company!

Offline FlamDragger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 26, 2018, 06:06 AM »
Ebay?!? Try looking online @ Home Depot. Their Ridgid Octane is sweet!

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #8 on: Dec 26, 2018, 06:14 AM »
i figure 100 inch pounds per inch of auger with sharp blades.

Sounds about right. I use a 600 in.lb. on my 4" laser and based on the performance, I see no reason it will have any problem turning my 6" as well. Gonna give it a shot...as soon as we get our ice back. ::)
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 26, 2018, 06:41 AM »
I have been wanting to pull the trigger on a brushless hammer drill. NONE OF THEM specify the torque rating on the box or the description of the tool on the ebay BIN auction I have looked at. Every time I copy and paste a number that a guy recommends here I will find that drill but there is always an "A" or "B" on the part number after the one that comes up in my search!! I have pretty much given up because I am SURE whatever comes to my door will not have enough torque
Milwaukee has the torque rating on their box for the brushless drills. A 2704- 20 Milwaukee will be a good one for you and if that can't be found the 2804-20 will work. These are the bare tool numbers that are signified by the -20 at the end. The 2704 and 2804 can be purchased in multiple kits. You will also need XC-4.0 batteries at a minimum, XC-5.0 will be better.

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 26, 2018, 07:41 AM »
Milwaukee has the torque rating on their box for the brushless drills. A 2704- 20 Milwaukee will be a good one for you and if that can't be found the 2804-20 will work. These are the bare tool numbers that are signified by the -20 at the end. The 2704 and 2804 can be purchased in multiple kits. You will also need XC-4.0 batteries at a minimum, XC-5.0 will be better.

Would this do it Shack Man?   https://www.ebay.com/itm/Milwaukee-2804-22-FUEL-18V-1-2in-Hammer-Drill-Driver-Tool-Only-Replaces-2704-22/223118973614?epid=13020357204&hash=item33f2ed5aae:g:w7UAAOSw07lbehTG:rk:23:pf:0

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 26, 2018, 07:54 AM »
That drill will be fine, but you’ll still need to get a battery.  it says tool only even though it’s listed as a kit. For that price your better off ordering from Home Depot with their guaranteed.

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 26, 2018, 08:16 AM »
That drill will be fine, but you’ll still need to get a battery.  it says tool only even though it’s listed as a kit. For that price your better off ordering from Home Depot with their guaranteed.
.  Farther down in the description it says it includes 2 5ah batteries, charger, side handle, belt clip,  one bit holder and the case.

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 26, 2018, 08:33 AM »
Yes, the description says the battery is included. The guy needs to fix the title

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 26, 2018, 08:37 AM »
Yes, the description says the battery is included. The guy needs to fix the title
.  Agree, very poor auction title!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 26, 2018, 08:54 AM »
Would this do it Shack Man?   https://www.ebay.com/itm/Milwaukee-2804-22-FUEL-18V-1-2in-Hammer-Drill-Driver-Tool-Only-Replaces-2704-22/223118973614?epid=13020357204&hash=item33f2ed5aae:g:w7UAAOSw07lbehTG:rk:23:pf:0

Yes, that one will work well. I would also recommend a Clam plate as well. The Rigid drills don't seem like they are very compatible with the plate, we will see as the season goes on but I think this is probably only the beginning of troubles for those drills. What size/kind of a auger are you going to use???

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 26, 2018, 09:29 AM »
6" NILS - I can rip through a foot of ice with it by hand with no problem - But why not let a drill do the work

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 26, 2018, 01:26 PM »
Does anyone have experience with the geared ice kicker? Would that possibly work?

A friend of mine got one, it works well and is very solidly built, definitely heavy though.

Offline Mr.Mike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 29, 2018, 09:24 PM »
I just ordered the Dewalt 991 drill on amazon. Drill without hammer action as I don't think you'll gain anything with a hammer drill. The dewalt has 850 in/lbs of torque. Comes with 2 5ah batteries and charger for $245.00 can't wait to try it.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 29, 2018, 09:37 PM »
I didn't think that DeWalt used torque rating. They seem to use anoother measure that they claim is more accurate?
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Dec 29, 2018, 10:09 PM »
I didn't think that DeWalt used torque rating. They seem to use anoother measure that they claim is more accurate?

They don't, but reviewers have tested it. Some google searches show the 991 as 885 in/lb torque.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Dec 29, 2018, 10:14 PM »
For what its worth, I don't think you need 900-1300 in/lb for a typical 6" auger, but it is HIGHLY recommended for the 8". Heck I used a normal cheapo 320 in/lb drill with a 5" and 6" for 2 years and never had any issues. I think the 750+ range is where you want to be though for 6", and 850/900+ for 8"... anything for a 4-5" auger. 6"+ a clam plate really helps, especially with lazer augers that like to grab at the bottom of the hole. $60 is a lot cheaper than going to the ER with a sprained/broken wrist because your hands were cold and your reaction time too slow.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Dec 29, 2018, 11:24 PM »
I just ordered the Dewalt 991 drill on amazon. Drill without hammer action as I don't think you'll gain anything with a hammer drill. The dewalt has 850 in/lbs of torque. Comes with 2 5ah batteries and charger for $245.00 can't wait to try it.
go to dewalt europe to get the specs on the drill in newton meters and then use a converter site to covert that to inch pounds. their 996 is 840 inch pound max torque.
looks like approximately their posted output times 1.02 equals inch pounds.

you can get a 1300 inch pound ridgid drill for 170$ with one 9 amp battery and charger with lifetime warranty on all of it at home depot. then you have a spare 80$ for what ever.
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=362605.0

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 30, 2018, 02:57 AM »
go to dewalt europe to get the specs on the drill in newton meters and then use a converter site to covert that to inch pounds. their 996 is 840 inch pound max torque.

you can get a 1300 inch pound ridgid drill for 170$ with one 9 amp battery and charger with lifetime warranty on all of it at home depot. then you have a spare 80$ for what ever.

Why are people looking at dropping $250 on a drill with battery that is outdated when they can just pick up the Octane with a 9 ah battery for $179....it's a no brainer. Lifetime warranty and bluetooth capable battery. Seems just as good if not better than the Fuels judging from every video I've seen.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 30, 2018, 08:25 AM »

Thx for that. I will check out my 18 V Ni-cad as a possible backup to my Ridgid.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Online kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Dec 30, 2018, 09:36 AM »
Yes, that one will work well. I would also recommend a Clam plate as well. The Rigid drills don't seem like they are very compatible with the plate, we will see as the season goes on but I think this is probably only the beginning of troubles for those drills. What size/kind of a auger are you going to use???

Obvious Milwaukee fanboy is obvious. There is nothing wrong with the Ridgid Drills. The Clam extensions on the other hand...mine is ridiculously out of true, wish I'd noticed earlier in the year when they were easy to find.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Dec 30, 2018, 11:57 AM »
Obvious Milwaukee fanboy is obvious. There is nothing wrong with the Ridgid Drills. The Clam extensions on the other hand...mine is ridiculously out of true, wish I'd noticed earlier in the year when they were easy to find.
the problem is they (clam corp) don't seem to care about specs and tolerances and so the extension is way too big inside diameter to be practical and throws any thing attached into huge wobble. if you have a clam plate with the bent shaft like mine is, then this will make it all the worse because there is no way for the extension to be able to float. kovac icemaster 2 has this figured out because theirs floats already.

take one wrap at a time, up to tree wraps (depends on brand/thickness) with out overlapping the layer of the wrap and shim it out with cellophane tape like scotch tape as a work around/hack. i went one layer at a time.

another work around/hack would be to drill out the threaded side of where the wing bolt threads into and use a snap pin. if using a plate this would make it much easier to reduce the foot print of that system. or make your own new holes so you have both options. this will allow the extension to float on the what ever adapter your using so it can self center under load.

looks like hardened steel, but probably just zinc coated for rusted treatment.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Dec 30, 2018, 12:15 PM »
the problem is they (clam corp) don't seem to care about specs and tolerances and so the extension is way too big inside diameter to be practical and throws any thing attached into huge wobble. if you have a clam plate with the bent shaft like mine is, then this will make it all the worse because there is no way for the extension to be able to float. kovac icemaster 2 has this figured out because their floats already.

take one wrap at a time, up to tree wraps (depends on brand/thickness) with out overlapping the layer of the wrap and shim it out with cellophane tape like scotch tape as a work around/hack. i went one layer at a time.

another work around/hack would be to drill out the threaded side of the where the wing bolt threads into and use a snap pin. if using a plate this would make it much easier to reduce the foot print of that system. or make your own new holes so you have both options. this will allow the extension to float on the what ever adapter your using so it can self center under load.

looks like hardened steel, but probably just zinc coated for rusted treatment.
(Image removed from quote.)

I just noticed that the extension says FOR CLAM AUGERS ONLY
EYECONICFISHING

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Dec 30, 2018, 12:17 PM »
the clam plate and clam extension have about a 2 inch wobble. no auger need to see it.

some videos for comparison.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.