Author Topic: Fuel drill  (Read 2601 times)

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
Fuel drill
« on: Oct 02, 2016, 08:32 PM »
I understand the drill/auger weight mobility aspect of this set up, But what is the life span of these drills and batteries? They are not cheap at $280 plus the drill assembly. My last auger ran for 15 years and is still cutting with someone else. I was able to score a new 8 inch lazer for $380 with free shipping. I run pre mix so I don't deal with ethanol or mixing. Just keep an extra can in the sled.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Fuel drill
« Reply #1 on: Oct 02, 2016, 09:29 PM »
For myself and some others, it's a no brainer.. The life expectancy and of the drill is more or less irrelevant as far as using it for ice fishing.. Reason being that ice fishing or not, I will still have and need a hammer drill for everything that I do.. The fact that it makes a good auger motor is a bonus. In other words, I bought the hardware to go with my drill.. But I know there are plenty of guys that bought a drill specifically for their auger..

My last nicad battery 18V DeWalt hammer drill lasted over ten years with a lot of rainy outdoor use. It actually still works great except the batteries are bad..

Which in most every case, the drill outlives the batteries..

Ridgid has their lifetime warranty of course..

Also keep in mind the torque ratings can be misleading as hell.. Many of them are claiming more or less peak torque, which doesn't last long at all.. Just like how a 1500W pyramid amplifier will get its a$$ handed to it by a 400W Kenwood..

I'm not even going to get into which one is best because it's like the Ford vs Chevy thing..

If you don't normally need a bad@$$ drill, I'm not even sure if it's a good idea.. A good gas auger will outlast an electric drill..

Also even though Ridgid (which I have now) has the lifetime warranty.. With technology changing and improvements coming in leaps and bounds (for all brands) I might want to have a better option than my current Ridgid anyway down the road..  But my drills make me money, instead of costing me money..

<°)))>{

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 02, 2016, 10:02 PM »
I don't know if anyone can honestly answer that question yet? I have been using the Milwaukee fuel brushless/clamplate/mora since the Milwaukee Fuel 725 in/lb was first available.... I believe it was 4 years ago. I sold that auger last year to a buddy (still running strong), to build my current 1200 in/lb Milwaukee fuel/clamplate/mora auger. In the time in between i have built many augers like mine for other people as well. I am aware of absolutely ZERO issues with any drills or batteries or Mora augers for that matter. The Fuel brushless is a Heavy Duty contractor grade drill and im my opinion the finest on the market in its class. I have accidentally submerged battery packs in water at work and popped them in the drill still wet and they still work. It all comes down to how the tool is used and taken care of but i can see battery packs going for at least 5 yrs (since i have a few over that age) and who knows on the drill... 10-15+ wouldn't surprise me at all if its used only on a auger plate. I buy all my stuff as components and yes, im a Milwaukee tool guy, but i can buy a fuel 1200in/lb for under $100 on-line every day of the week. I know what i was spending on fuel, oil, plugs, tuneups, carb rebuilds, recoils, leaky fuel tanks and fuel vent caps, etc etc etc. And i promise i wouldn't trade my auger for the "best" most expensive gas auger on the planet. If you factor in the failed and hard starts from some gas augers as well as fuel on hands and gloves and all over the back of your vehicle and shack i often wonder why anyone even owns a gas auger anymore. Don't get me wrong I had a Eskimo for 20 years and it was the best way to drill a hole for me then... But not anymore.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 03, 2016, 07:53 AM »
A very well stated response! Thank you!! That should give members a lot to think about!!
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 03, 2016, 08:23 AM »
I don't know if anyone can honestly answer that question yet? I have been using the Milwaukee fuel brushless/clamplate/mora since the Milwaukee Fuel 725 in/lb was first available.... I believe it was 4 years ago. I sold that auger last year to a buddy (still running strong), to build my current 1200 in/lb Milwaukee fuel/clamplate/mora auger. In the time in between i have built many augers like mine for other people as well. I am aware of absolutely ZERO issues with any drills or batteries or Mora augers for that matter. The Fuel brushless is a Heavy Duty contractor grade drill and im my opinion the finest on the market in its class. I have accidentally submerged battery packs in water at work and popped them in the drill still wet and they still work. It all comes down to how the tool is used and taken care of but i can see battery packs going for at least 5 yrs (since i have a few over that age) and who knows on the drill... 10-15+ wouldn't surprise me at all if its used only on a auger plate. I buy all my stuff as components and yes, im a Milwaukee tool guy, but i can buy a fuel 1200in/lb for under $100 on-line every day of the week. I know what i was spending on fuel, oil, plugs, tuneups, carb rebuilds, recoils, leaky fuel tanks and fuel vent caps, etc etc etc. And i promise i wouldn't trade my auger for the "best" most expensive gas auger on the planet. If you factor in the failed and hard starts from some gas augers as well as fuel on hands and gloves and all over the back of your vehicle and shack i often wonder why anyone even owns a gas auger anymore. Don't get me wrong I had a Eskimo for 20 years and it was the best way to drill a hole for me then... But not anymore.
Well said. My old gas augers are just taking up space in the garage. Got a sweet IceGator for big ice but early season and day to day I'll be putting together a Fuel/ Nils setup this season. Where do you find those Fuel 1200# for under a C-note? Also, though I can live with the drills I have, it's nice to have something with lots of muscle. Any more I no longer nail projects together. Easier and  cleaner to screw stuff together.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline iowapackfan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 03, 2016, 08:47 AM »
I too wonder why fishermen still use gas augers because of the hassle of mixing fuel, the smell, and the noise.  My Ion auger is one of the best investments in ice fishing  I ever made.
God,Country, and the Green Bay Packers

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 03, 2016, 08:48 AM »
Well said. My old gas augers are just taking up space in the garage. Got a sweet IceGator for big ice but early season and day to day I'll be putting together a Fuel/ Nils setup this season. Where do you find those Fuel 1200# for under a C-note? Also, though I can live with the drills I have, it's nice to have something with lots of muscle. Any more I no longer nail projects together. Easier and  cleaner to screw stuff together.
Most of mine come off Amazon they are purchased as bare tool only, a couple came off Ebay but I prefer Amazon since i have prime. I have also had very good luck buying used as well since most are just opened box displays unless its otherwise noted. I know many people will say buy the "hammer" version and i have built them both ways. I usually try and get the hammer model, however its not a deal breaker for me if i can't find the hammer. I will let out a small secret i have had on Amazon as well. Twice when i purchased the drill used as "bare tool only" it came with m-18 packs (2) 2ah and (2) 4ah. I don't expect this every time but it has been a nice BONUS when it has happened. The 2ah are not enough for the auger but fit nicely in the rest of my m18 tools. I also just picked up a 9ah High Demand M-18 that should be AWESOME on the auger.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 03, 2016, 09:06 AM »
I'm going on 3 years with my ridgid. the drill was a reconditioned drill and I beat the heck out of it before I ever added it to the clam plate. I use the drill for projects all year long and it's still going strong. I use the 1.5ah battery it came with for the household stuff and I save the pair of 4ah batteries I bought separately for ice fishing only. I keep them charged and happy but I don't know if they have an actual shelf life. I guess they'll last as long as they last. The drill is only $35 as a bare tool these days and I could probably get a bare tool upgrade and get a little more torque. When it gets to the point that the batteries die and I can't find replacements, I'll get a new drill ;D

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 03, 2016, 09:30 AM »
I must have been lucky I guess, my 25 year old Eskimo has always started and ran great. Never leaked fuel if you set it with the cap facing up.. Not only has it been an ice auger, but I don't remember how many decks, fences, and mailbox posts it's put in..

I think most issues with gas units are from not running them long enough to burn off the carbon deposits and such.. Mine has always ran, the only issue was over 24 years I had to keep turning the idle screw to keep it running between holes, then I finally ran out of adjustment.. I then replaced the spark plug, cleaned the carb, ran some seafoam, and sharpened the blades, and wow, it runs better than new now, and better than new augers that haven't been broken in yet..

20 inches of ice, 25 year old Ardisam Eskimo with TCII engine...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1MWRyYBSw00

She's a keeper in my book..

On the flip side, I've been enjoying my electric drill unit a bunch for when I'm panfishing and trying to go lightweight..

I found at least on mine, once the ice got so thick (2ft) the flights on the auger would rub the edges of the hole so I removed half of them, it helped a lot and made it even lighter. This was a two mile walk on Erie, showing my cut down 6" Mora..

I've been enjoying the weight advantage and instant gratification of electric so much, this season I'm going with the Clam plate with a gear box and an 8inch Mora.. Gear box should be here any day now..

I am not going to ever sell my gasser I can say that for sure, but I might have to remember to start her up a few times in the winter so she stays in shape for summer drilling..

<°)))>{

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 03, 2016, 09:37 AM »
I save the pair of 4ah batteries I bought separately for ice fishing only. I keep them charged and happy

Right there is a key statement.. Keep them charged and they'll take care of you for a long time..

Lithium batteries don't like to sit around dead for long periods..  Pretty much the same thing as SLA batteries..

<°)))>{

Offline BlackDogAlpha

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 03, 2016, 01:58 PM »
For me it involved a conversation with myself one fine winter day:
"Where is my auger" Hmm, kid threw a (XXXX) on top of it and snapped the vent on the gas cap. Replace gas cap. Hmm, wont start, rope pull crapped out. Replace/fix rope pull. Hmm, wont start, ethanol gummed the carbs, off to small engine shop for cleaning kit. Ok, now it runs, poorly. Hmm, blades look dull. Im getting a heckuva workout moving this auger around. Finally get it into sled, nice warm winter day, and it leaks gas all over my gear and snow pants. Then I try to fire it up and it wont fire. No fishing for me.

Now, its "Yep, batteries are at full, good to go."
The best part of the rig is that it turns that piece of gear into something you dont ever worry about working correctly in the field.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 03, 2016, 03:38 PM »
Scratcher I have the EXACT same Eskimo as you. It is a good auger i just havent taken mine out on the ice for the last 3 years. As long as your willing to stay on top of the maintenance it usually started. My biggest problems were with leaking fuel and all the different ways it would leak it. When i watched your you tube video it brought back some good memories on the ice. Thank you for that!!! But i will never miss the smell of 2cycle gas in the back of my vehicle. I doubt I ever get rid of that Eskimo.... i guess im just funny that way.

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Oct 03, 2016, 03:41 PM »
Scratcher I have the EXACT same Eskimo as you. It is a good auger i just havent taken mine out on the ice for the last 3 years. As long as your willing to stay on top of the maintenance it usually started. My biggest problems were with leaking fuel and all the different ways it would leak it. When i watched your you tube video it brought back some good memories on the ice. Thank you for that!!! But i will never miss the smell of 2cycle gas in the back of my vehicle. I doubt I ever get rid of that Eskimo.... i guess im just funny that way.

I had the same auger as well, 1993 or 1994 model.  Sold it last fall for 3/4 of what I paid for it.
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Oct 04, 2016, 07:09 AM »
Mechanics and autobody techs seldom use air tools anymore, the shops are much quieter now.  Times and technology changes. 

I use a Nils 6" and a lower cost Hitachi drill. (It has 2.5 ah rated battery).  I use the crap out of driver drills for home projects so I have 2 sets of drivers/drills. I bought the 2 piece set which is a drill and a 1/4" driver.  They cost about $150 for each set at menards.    That gave me 4 batteries.  Then I bought another battery for my Hitachi cordless sawzall.  I take 2 batteries with me fishing.    Worked great last year for my first year of fishing.  If the battery goes dead I can pull out the handle do a few holes manually.  I get about 20 holes in 8 to 14 inches of ice per battery.

I have no idea what the clam plates are that you guys speak of.  My drill just attaches to the auger directly.  Nils put a 7 inch plate on it to keep it from going in a 6" ice hole if it comes off the drill.

I might need to change my thinking when the ice gets thicker if I go up north more frequently.  I have a Earthquake (Eskimo) earth auger that I thought about getting a Eskimo auger for.  Drills great holes in my yard.
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline aquarium234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Oct 04, 2016, 07:48 AM »
Two things, If you panfish, you can get by with out a gas auger, if you fish champlain and are drilling 100+ holes a day, gas or propane is the only way to go. Especially when its 2 plus feet of ice....though last year...that wasn't a huge problem.... My fourstroke doesn't need mixing of gas, and you can leave it in any position and it will not spill gas like my old eskimo did. With that said, I can see the advantage for some people to use the drills, Heck I have one for putting in ice anchors with me anyway. Look around for a battery dealer in your area, around me there is Yorkvill battery and they will repack your batteries for half the cost of buying new.
Its all fun and games until someone loses a walleye.......

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Oct 04, 2016, 09:13 AM »
I had the same auger as well, 1993 or 1994 model.  Sold it last fall for 3/4 of what I paid for it.

That right there is a good testament to the actual value of a gas auger..

Twenty years down the road I have my doubts we'll be able to get $15 for any electric drill bought today.

<°)))>{

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Oct 04, 2016, 09:22 AM »
Where do you buy a 1200# Fuel On Line for $100?

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Oct 04, 2016, 09:27 AM »
I could use a Fuel drill all day long every day of the year. Bet you can't say that about your gasser or even your Ion or IceGator if it comes to that. I love my old Icegator ,"Little Pokey", but I'll probably be putting her on the market this year if that Nils/Fuel works out like I think it will.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Oct 04, 2016, 10:32 AM »
For me it involved a conversation with myself one fine winter day:
"Where is my auger" Hmm, kid threw a (XXXX) on top of it and snapped the vent on the gas cap. Replace gas cap. Hmm, wont start, rope pull crapped out. Replace/fix rope pull. Hmm, wont start, ethanol gummed the carbs, off to small engine shop for cleaning kit. Ok, now it runs, poorly. Hmm, blades look dull. Im getting a heckuva workout moving this auger around. Finally get it into sled, nice warm winter day, and it leaks gas all over my gear and snow pants. Then I try to fire it up and it wont fire. No fishing for me.

Now, its "Yep, batteries are at full, good to go."
The best part of the rig is that it turns that piece of gear into something you dont ever worry about working correctly in the field.
This sounds like a few days I have had with a gas auger. When some people post about the "high cost" of building these drill augers it always makes me chuckle. Like most people, I don't have an unlimited amount of time on the ice so my ice time is very important especially living in a region where a ice season can be 10 weeks or 10 days.  So when I get time to slip out to a hotspot and the auger won't start, and im headed back home what does that cost? When your hands and gloves smell like gas/oil from playing auger mechanic and your the only one out there not catching fish, what does that cost?  My point is for me, some costs arent measured in dollars.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Oct 04, 2016, 12:56 PM »
Where do you buy a 1200# Fuel On Line for $100?
Today it would be Ebay for $98.99 buy it now with free shipping. That is for a New Milwaukee M18 Brushless Fuel Hammerdrill #2704-20. Bare tool only.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Oct 04, 2016, 01:17 PM »
You can sometimes see a deal on a two pack of batteries but I haven't seen anything special on a charger. You may wind up spending another $150 to get everything put together from components. You can also spend $270 for the whole shooting match with case.
                                                               Stinky

Offline WiMeatHunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Oct 04, 2016, 01:57 PM »
Last year I bought the Fuel Drill and the 6" Nils auger that is made for the cordless drills. I will never look back. That combo is half the weight of the ole Jiffy and cuts just as good if not faster. Bring on the ice!!!
WiMeatHunter

Offline Lukaszu

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Oct 05, 2016, 07:56 AM »
Your drill will take a pounding. The motor brushes usually will die first.... That's until they come out with brushless motors. Also keep in mind your drill size. The size will also put wear & tear I don't go over 6" drill.  For the altimate ice destruction try with angled blade auger. 

Offline bouncin_toads

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Oct 05, 2016, 08:02 AM »
Your drill will take a pounding. The motor brushes usually will die first.... That's until they come out with brushless motors. Also keep in mind your drill size. The size will also put wear & tear I don't go over 6" drill.  For the altimate ice destruction try with angled blade auger.
Have you been living under a rock? Milwaukee has had brush less tools for years, as well as Makita.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #24 on: Oct 05, 2016, 08:06 AM »
He might be living under a rock!! He needs to put his location  in his profile so we know where his rock is!!!  ;)
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Oct 05, 2016, 08:17 AM »
Too funny-
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Oct 05, 2016, 08:51 AM »
geez, pretty much all of them have brushless drills now.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Oct 05, 2016, 09:11 AM »
Not sure what you mean by an "angled blade auger". They all have angled blades. Do you mean a spoon auger?
                                                               Stinky

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Oct 05, 2016, 09:46 AM »
WOW!!! I dont even know how to respond to this one.........

Offline BGP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Oct 05, 2016, 10:31 AM »
At work we run all Milwuakee tools. So I bought for around the house. It was expensive sure, but we beat the hell out of our cordless tools and they beg for more after each use. They are complete overkill for what I need around the house. But after seeing and hearing about the K-Drill I had to try one. With the USA Canadian exchange rate I almost crapped. But being I already had the drill it was a little easier to swallow. I absolutely love it. Redrilling old holes without having to move a larger permanent shack is always a plus. My father has an Ion and he swears by it. Drilling old holes is a bit of an art, but is definitely possible. I can't wait to get my hands on the milwuakee 9ah battery. Should be able to pound holes all day long on one battery

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.