Author Topic: Power Auger Advice needed  (Read 3371 times)

Offline lenawee fisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
Power Auger Advice needed
« on: Sep 12, 2015, 07:56 PM »
Think I am going to pick up a power auger for this upcoming season. Want to avoid gas - I am not good with fixing things and don't like carrying fuel. What are the thoughts on electric like the Ions vs. the propane runners? I've used a Jiffy and really liked it. Price is a concern but I will pay more for quality and less headaches. Thanks

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: Power Auger Advice needed
« Reply #1 on: Sep 12, 2015, 08:01 PM »
if i had to go with a dedicated power head, it would be with out a doubt be the icegator!

www.icegator.com
New Icegators 9.5 auger

check out some youtube on them comparing them to other top brands.
i think theres a few links on icegators site for that.

icegator 42 volt vs lazier 50 volt
6 holes to 3 holes in same time frame.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Sep 12, 2015, 08:10 PM »
Looks like StrikeMaster is back with their lithium Lazer

http://usa.rapala.com/catalog/iceforce/#4

I had a chance to use the Ion two seasons ago ...cut nice and fairly light

how many holes are you normally drilling some cordless hand drill options available that may suit your needs
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline lenawee fisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Sep 12, 2015, 08:14 PM »
Usually I drill as few as I have to. Depending on the fish. I do believe in moving till I find fish though. I walk it so I would say 30? holes would be the most.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Sep 12, 2015, 08:24 PM »
If your targeting pan fish you can get away with a cordless drill set up with two 4-5 amp hr batteries and 6 in drill unit as long as your ice isn't to think 18 plus inches or more this may be a good option. Lots of threads on drills and augers .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Sep 13, 2015, 06:34 AM »
X2 on the drill auger. I would recommend a Milwaukee fuel 18v on a clam plate with the 7" or 8" Mora anger. I have been using this anger for the past few seasons and it is fantastic.

Offline don519

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Sep 13, 2015, 09:15 PM »
My wife bought my a jiffy propane auger other then it being almost 40 lbs I love it 100+ hole from a 1lbs bottle not as loud as 2 stroke and it cuts through 20" of ice in about 4 seconds and no more then 2 pulls to start it every time

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #7 on: Sep 13, 2015, 11:18 PM »
if i had to go with a dedicated power head, it would be with out a doubt be the icegator!

www.icegator.com
New Icegators 9.5 auger

check out some youtube on them comparing them to other top brands.
i think theres a few links on icegators site for that.

icegator 42 volt vs lazier 50 volt
6 holes to 3 holes in same time frame.

I think the ice gator would be a cool product (I almost bought one last year.) However, after looking into things I found a lot and I mean a lot of bad reviews on customer service. People having broken units, and no way to get them fixed or repaired. So FYI customer service must really suck for ice gator.......never used the product, and never will after all the customer service issues I'd heard.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Sep 14, 2015, 06:15 AM »
sounds like humminbird CS. they are the pitts for CS.
good to know, thanks for the heads up. no more icegators.
i think i will call them and get a feel for how they are tho. maybe tell them i have a broken one and see what goes on.

better yet, i just emailed them to see what greg has to say about the matter. maybe he will join in on the conversation. he has this link to review now.

UPDATE: 09-15-15
post master returned my email because greg pepples (icegator) mail box is full.

Error sending message [1509140454158.WM56] from [WM56.****.com].

Mail From: <33_00@****.com>
Rcpt To:   <[email protected]>
Repeated:  <7>
Last Try:  <9/15/2015 6:25:17 AM>

The reason of the delivery failure was:

Mailbox quota exceeded
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
so i'm done trying to help recommend power heads and i won't be buying an icegator any time soon.
i notice greg only gives you 15 days to try to register with him and that means he could easily say not returned on time so zero warranty for you.

seems like govt would shut him down for fraud or the state should yank his sales/tax license/ID.

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Sep 14, 2015, 07:08 AM »
I would recommend a Nils with the power head conversion kit for an 18volt drill. I do some  "back-country'' icing, and it's nice to be able to pack in the Nils without the power head. Just my opinion. Good Icing!
Ski
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #10 on: Sep 14, 2015, 07:44 AM »
sounds like humminbird CS. they are the pitts for CS.
good to know, thanks for the heads up. no more icegators.
i think i will call them and get a feel for how they are tho. maybe tell them i have a broken one and see what goes on.

I believe the early ice gators had a gear that actually would have the teeth break off or wear off smooth. There is a utube video I believe of a guy making a spacer so the unit could grab what was left of the teeth on a gear.

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Sep 14, 2015, 10:23 AM »
You die hard's that keep recommending Ice Gators must either own the company or live close to where they are made. They are overpriced and have zero customer service, they don't even answer the phone or return emails. Great units but everything needs service and they must just be two guys in agarage somewhere making them. Don't condemn a newby to that mess.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #12 on: Sep 14, 2015, 06:18 PM »
You die hard's that keep recommending Ice Gators must either own the company or live close to where they are made. They are overpriced and have zero customer service, they don't even answer the phone or return emails. Great units but everything needs service and they must just be two guys in agarage somewhere making them. Don't condemn a newby to that mess.

I'd agree with that, kinda why I posted about customer service..When you spend that kid of money on an item service and repairs matter.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Sep 14, 2015, 08:49 PM »
i am neither of what you claim.

i use ridgid drills on lazer augers. i have seen an icegater in person and the you tubes with them in action against other brands. i have not seen any ting else in person, so i recommend what i know works well. at least for that point in time and the owner was very happy with his purchase and when i see him again, i'll see if he still is or not.

did you have a bad experince with icegator since you say how aweful they are?

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Sep 15, 2015, 09:27 PM »
now back on subject. what about a clam plate with a k-drill, or  nils ,  or even a fin bore? I know the finbore would be awesome from what it looks like the k-drill is even better...  Milwaukee fuel drill or  even a rigid drill would be good... reason being you got to get some thing you can get batteries for in 10-15 years and blades in 10-15 years that's the nice thing about finbore it take standard laser blades...    I am sure you can rig some batteries to work for it 3x6 volt batteries in series make 18 volts like most drill are now a days..  those 6 volt batteries that the game camera take would work awesome to hard wire to a drill... don't want to comment on the nils cause the blades are expensive and mite not be around in 15 years?  just some thoughts on them all ???  only other drills I consider are the strike master electra auger and the big volt... but make sure you get the right one....now one's good for reopening holes the other not so good...those can be hooked to the truck and drill holes with it...   

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Sep 15, 2015, 10:25 PM »
 i had an icegator years ago when they were fresh on the market...all sorts of issues, didn't answer the phone or return msgs because they were on religious retreats??  they also used to be a sponsor on the site until all the bad reviews did them in..   me and the old man repaired the gator and it tore holes through the ice.  recently bought a m18 fuel drill for work and attached it to a finbore III 8" auger, sharp blades and never looked back...even in saskatchewan.  only use the strikemaster honda once the ice gets to 4 ft.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #16 on: Sep 16, 2015, 06:16 PM »
I think if I go electric its the ion. for propane I would get a jiffy pro lite.from reading here numerous times  I wouldn't touch a icegator because of problems and cs.jmo.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #17 on: Sep 16, 2015, 08:37 PM »
I think if I go electric its the ion. for propane I would get a jiffy pro lite.from reading here numerous times  I wouldn't touch a icegator because of problems and cs.jmo.

Really an Ion? I kinda thought the clam plate & high torque brushless drills basically kinda put an end to those units. I really wish they had an Ion and a milwaukee clam plate set up side by side drilling holes......both 8in. I dont think you'd be sold on the ion any more.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Sep 16, 2015, 09:17 PM »
Really an Ion? I kinda thought the clam plate & high torque brushless drills basically kinda put an end to those units. I really wish they had an Ion and a milwaukee clam plate set up side by side drilling holes......both 8in. I dont think you'd be sold on the ion any more.
Wow!!! I couldn't agree more... You could build two drill augers for the price of 1 ION. It looks like the Gen2 Milwaukee Fuel will be the most powerful drill auger on the ice this season with its 1200 in/lbs of torque and the 9ah battery due out in January should be a real game changer. My problem is I can't seem to break my Gen1 fuel with 725 in/lbs of torque so I can justify the upgrade.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #19 on: Sep 16, 2015, 09:40 PM »
Wow!!! I couldn't agree more... You could build two drill augers for the price of 1 ION. It looks like the Gen2 Milwaukee Fuel will be the most powerful drill auger on the ice this season with its 1200 in/lbs of torque and the 9ah battery due out in January should be a real game changer. My problem is I can't seem to break my Gen1 fuel with 725 in/lbs of torque so I can justify the upgrade.

i hate to say it, but I really think that the milwaukee drill might have more torque then the ion. I'm pretty sure its faster. I kind almost wanna put a new milwaukee with 1200in/lbs on a blue nils 10inch head since nobody makes a 10in hand auger............I think it would turn it. Be neat to see if it worked. The wheel house guys would go nuts. I know the reviews from guys that tried the 10in ion auger on the ion head were extremly disapointed in it.

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Sep 16, 2015, 10:56 PM »
i hate to say it, but I really think that the milwaukee drill might have more torque then the ion. I'm pretty sure its faster. I kind almost wanna put a new milwaukee with 1200in/lbs on a blue nils 10inch head since nobody makes a 10in hand auger............I think it would turn it. Be neat to see if it worked. The wheel house guys would go nuts. I know the reviews from guys that tried the 10in ion auger on the ion head were extremly disapointed in it.

that and nils has auger extensions for thick ice like 48 inch and 24 inch extensions that would be awesome with that 1200 inch pound drill and  thick ice.. like I was saying earlier you can hard wire a 18 volt drill with three sealed lead acid batteries the 6volt ones they use for game camera and deer feeders...6+6+6=18 volts lol's....  all in a series configure...if you needed to thick ice no problem lol's ....  I liked the extensions on the nils better then the others like strike mater they seemed more stable and had less wobble if any thing that 10 inch and that 1200 in/lbs drill would make the wheel house guys happy....     only problem is if the nils head needs sharpening got to send it out.... that's were a lot of hand auger guys go with the finbore3 cause of the blades are easy to replace....  but that's up to the purchaser not me... since I already own a nils I don't make other people decisions for them.. lol's   

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Sep 19, 2015, 03:09 PM »
Probably twenty percent of the complaints posted about IceGator were made by me a couple of years ago. I was screaming like a smashed cat about bad switches and bad service. Eventually I got past the problems. Greg Pepple builds the power units, his wife does the books. That's it. He's a pointy head engineer and a good one but frankly not a very good businessman when it comes to customer service. However, the Pepples are decent people doing the best they can in a complicated world where vendors don't do as they promise and the customers expectations maybe exceed the possible. I've got the old IceGator 2, ion battery, mounted on an 8" LazerMag with ripper teeth. Nothing on the ice can touch her for speed, including the Nils/Tanaka.  I call her "Little Pokey" and I'd bet some cash on a drilling contest. Got more power and battery than I need for my current style of old man fishing though. If I were starting from scratch I'd go with the Gen 2 Milwaukee Fuel over an 8" Nils cutter. Plus you get to use a nice drill in the summer.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Sep 19, 2015, 06:08 PM »
posting only joking but I think Little Pokey would get completely smokied the auger races are nuts I watched a video of one Nils did not win but the team that did should have been DQ it's like nascar on steroids this auger race

Offline RussC

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Sep 20, 2015, 10:35 PM »
The Milwaukee drill mentioned is this the 2604 model?

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Sep 21, 2015, 05:14 AM »
I believe the 1200 in/lb Milwaukee Fuel is  model# 2703-22. Northern tool has a kit for $279 that includes two 5ah batteries and a charger. I think there might also be a promo code for $50 off as well that was posted somewhere on this site. If you go with this beast I would be planning on a mounting it to a clam plate.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Sep 21, 2015, 09:40 AM »
279$ non xc version
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M18-FUEL-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Brushless-1-2-in-Drill-Driver-Kit-2703-22/206320080

299$
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M18-FUEL-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Brushless-1-2-in-Hammer-Drill-Driver-XC-Kit-2704-22/206211755

frmboybuck
 Re: Ridgid Drill Users
« Reply #29 on: Sep 18, 2015, 07:16 PM »
Right now Northern tool has the new Milwaukee drill with 5 ah batteries for $279. Use code 243938 at check out to save $50 on orders over $250. Cost me $243 for the kit with tax. Only downfall is that it is on backorder right now

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Sep 21, 2015, 02:41 PM »
279$ non xc version
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M18-FUEL-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Brushless-1-2-in-Drill-Driver-Kit-2703-22/206320080

299$
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M18-FUEL-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Brushless-1-2-in-Hammer-Drill-Driver-XC-Kit-2704-22/206211755

frmboybuck
 Re: Ridgid Drill Users
« Reply #29 on: Sep 18, 2015, 07:16 PM »
Right now Northern tool has the new Milwaukee drill with 5 ah batteries for $279. Use code 243938 at check out to save $50 on orders over $250. Cost me $243 for the kit with tax. Only downfall is that it is on backorder right now
Last year guys were talking up the hammer drill version of the Milwaukee Fuel and seemed to know what they were talking about. Even at the $20 premium you've still got a four season tool and I suspect either one of them would twist your arm off at the root if you got a stuck blade.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Muskyrush

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Sep 21, 2015, 02:46 PM »
For power auger I have to say strikemaster for sure, I don't see how it's a competition a blazer mag is like 15lbs lighter than a jiffy and cuts way faster and the blades also last longer. As for electric my drill blows away the ions and I get more holes with it. I'm really confused how anyone buys the ion or how jiffy is even still in business.

Offline frmboybuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Sep 21, 2015, 07:49 PM »
Last year guys were talking up the hammer drill version of the Milwaukee Fuel and seemed to know what they were talking about. Even at the $20 premium you've still got a four season tool and I suspect either one of them would twist your arm off at the root if you got a stuck blade.
Its the same drill minus the hammer function. Just something else to go bad if you are not needing it to drill concrete

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Sep 21, 2015, 07:52 PM »
This up coming hard water season will be my 4th season with the drill driver (not Hammer drill)........ I don't think it honestly matters much. The hammer drill probably has better parts inside but I have yet to have even a hiccup out of my drill motor. I guess what I'm saying is, I'm personnally not scared of the drill driver based on my experience so far, I think both will work well. My opinion is that for the Gen2 and it's 1200 in/lbs the clam plate is an absolute must.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.