Author Topic: otter t600 wild cottage vs clam nanook  (Read 3333 times)

Offline cumminsguy95

• IceShanty Rookie
otter t600 wild cottage vs clam nanook
« on: Dec 09, 2014, 06:06 PM »
Need help on deciding which shanty to buy. I really want the one with the darkest interior as to aid in sight fishing. If anyone has any opinions on which is a better unit, and can tell me a little bit about the light inside once the shanty is all set up, that would be great. Thank you
Fisherman: A jerk at one end of a line waiting for a jerk at the other end of the line.

Offline Sawtooth

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: frabill trekkers vs clam nanook
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2014, 06:26 PM »
Don't know anything about the Clam, but Frabills are black.  I used my Frabill last week to sight fish.  When the windows are closed, it is pretty dark inside, and I had no problem seeing 12' deep to the bottom of the lake.
There is no such thing as bad weather - only bad clothing.

Offline cumminsguy95

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2014, 06:34 PM »
Edit: I like the nanook thermal but the interior looks like it would let way too much light through.. anyone running the thermal version of either?
Fisherman: A jerk at one end of a line waiting for a jerk at the other end of the line.

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2014, 07:29 PM »
Thermal version is going to allow more light due to the quilting. IMO the frabill is the better built of the two. Plus more room in the frabill and only a couple pounds differance

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Offline cumminsguy95

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2014, 07:48 PM »
do you guys feel that the thermal is worth the extra 100$ on the clam and 150 on the frabill?

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2014, 07:54 PM »
depends on your location, how diehard you are about staying or going out in crappy weather, and your checking account lol. I do not own one but will be going at least thermal top on my next one. They will actually save you money in the long run in propane costs.

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"

Offline cumminsguy95

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2014, 08:08 PM »
ugh i cant make up my mind. now my lady found the otter wild cottage t600 thermal top in black ice camo for 349$ i might just have to see if they have it in stock after work tomorrow.

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2014, 08:16 PM »
Are you looking for a 1 man or 2 man?

Offline FourEyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 09, 2014, 08:17 PM »
I love my Frabill Trekker DLX - bought used for cheap.  Built very well - holds up great in the wind.  Dark enough for site fishing during the day and holds heat very well even without the thermal fabric.  IMO thermals are just extra weight being that we have the newer ice suits/bibs/etc. these days...

Offline Ice Junkie 76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2014, 08:22 PM »
if your talking about gander mountain, good luck. I've been looking at that shanty since last season. I could find it in stock, had to get it shipped. They knock a 100 bucks off then charge you $150 to ship it. I've been looking a the same two since I can get in a local store. 

Offline cumminsguy95

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 09, 2014, 08:25 PM »
im looking at the 2 man flip overs. and yeah, it is at gander mtn. ill stop in there after work tomorrow and check them out a little more and ask about the otter. ive never been in a thremal shanty. honestly it would be nice but i think i would rather have the black fabric as to make it darker inside over the thermal top, if i had to choose between one or the other.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Dec 09, 2014, 08:32 PM »
might want to update your profile ...could be a deal nearby that your not aware of
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline cumminsguy95

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 09, 2014, 08:37 PM »
might want to update your profile ...could be a deal nearby that your not aware of
There ya go bud! Lol sorry didn't realize it

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 09, 2014, 08:49 PM »
Unfortunatly the Frabill Trekker DLX Thermal version has a grey interior. Non thermal is black. When I checked out the Thermal version it wasn't very dark so I don't think it will suit what you are looking for. I used to have the non thermal trekker dlx and it was a good shanty. Had no problem sight fishing out of it. If they have a shanty that you want online then have them ship it to the store. I did this last year and didn't have to pay a freight charge. It said there was a $70 charge but then said free during the checkout process.

Offline cumminsguy95

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 09, 2014, 09:04 PM »
So I guess really this turned into the clam nanook vs nanook thermal vs otter t600 cottage thermal top. I found the otter online for 349 free ground shipping to my house.

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
Re: otter t600 wild cottage vs clam nanook
« Reply #15 on: Dec 09, 2014, 09:57 PM »
Otter hands down no questions. That otter is in a class all its own. They truly are the caddy of portables

Offline Ice Junkie 76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 10, 2014, 11:49 AM »
cumminsguy95, where did you find that deal. I want that shelter just not the cost to ship it. please share your find so i can order one also. Thanks

Offline CrappieGuy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 715-379-2376
« Reply #17 on: Dec 10, 2014, 03:21 PM »
Fleet farm has a good deal on the otter 650 Cottage $449

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 10, 2014, 04:57 PM »
Otter hands down no questions. That otter is in a class all its own. They truly are the caddy of portables

I couldn't agree more. Great shanties!

Offline cumminsguy95

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 10, 2014, 06:34 PM »
I think I found it. Clam nanook thermal at gander mountain for 499. I just sold my 6800 for 200 so I'm set. It's got the black inner fabric like I want. I sat in it in the store for like 15 minutes lol

Offline flit

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 10, 2014, 06:51 PM »
This afternoon I saw At Bass Pro Shop has the nanook thermal at $449.99

Offline sportsmenoftheyear

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 10, 2014, 06:52 PM »
So I guess really this turned into the clam nanook vs nanook thermal vs otter t600 cottage thermal top. I found the otter online for 349 free ground shipping to my house.

x2  where did u see the free shipping?

Offline cumminsguy95

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 10, 2014, 07:47 PM »
Never mind I guess. I looked again and shipping is free but there's a freight charge.. sorry guys.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #23 on: Dec 11, 2014, 05:58 AM »

Not positive but my Kenai is black inside but it's not fabric it is a coating

Offline cumminsguy95

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 11, 2014, 06:37 PM »
I saw the nanook thermal on bass pro for 449. Ganders website says they will match a competitors price, we shall find out tomorrow, ill let you all know how it goes. Really appreciate the opinions and advice

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #25 on: Dec 11, 2014, 07:32 PM »
Dude your selling yourself short not looking at the otter

Offline flit

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 11, 2014, 08:04 PM »
At Mills Fleet Farm the Nanook Thermal costs $429.99 and the Otter XT650 Cottage  costs $449.99

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #27 on: Dec 11, 2014, 08:58 PM »
And the cottage has twice the room.

Offline blizzardfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Dec 11, 2014, 09:04 PM »
I have a one man uninsulated clam and my buddy has the nanook ,we've had them both out in Canada - 50 on Ben lake and had no problems staying warm!

Offline flit

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Dec 13, 2014, 01:40 PM »
This morning bought me the Otter XL650 Cottage for $449.99 at Fleet farm

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.