Author Topic: Why are people so name brand concious?  (Read 3151 times)

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
Why are people so name brand concious?
« on: Oct 01, 2010, 02:56 PM »
I do a lot of reading on Ice Shanty, and notice lots of people talking about what they bought or want. Everything has a big name and big price. There must be some people out there that still make their own stuff.
I like to mess with stuff that I have or buy the find out how things work. I also like to build things. I have started tying my own flies and bought molds to make my own baits. Are there other people out there that do this too?
I'm not saying that I don't buy anything, because I do!! But I also like to use what I have.
For instance, I want a Vex, but the wife won't let me spend the money on it, so I take my Bottom Line side finder off my boat and use that. It works to find the fish, but I have a hard time using it to jig. Anyone else do this?
I have my own 150 gallon bait tank, so I don't have to spend 12 bucks on a dozen bait that I can catch myself, and I am in the process of raising my own meal worms, because that is easy to do too.
Any of you guys have any things that you do, so you can save money?
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09
Re: Why are people so name brand concious?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 01, 2010, 03:05 PM »
I run an old auger-1977 Eskimo,Given to me by a family member(bad back),
 make my own ice jigs,
 built my own Slammah,
 build most of my own rods,
 made my one-man shack,
 trap my own minnows/chubs etc,
 store them in a 2 tank system in the garage that I built
 and am giving wax worm culturing a shot too!
You CAN outfish the "GuttaHavitGUY" with homemade gear and what a good feeling that is! When I tourney fished in a bassclub, I always enjoyed showing up with a heavy bag at weigh in , and telling the guys with the big dollar boats that zeroed or had an otherwise bad outing, "That`s what bass look like, rite there!"

Offline Nutsicles

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Can't sleep, ice season is too short!!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 01, 2010, 04:32 PM »
I use my open water fish finder for ice also. Last year I mounted it to a regular marine battery box, it worked well but was too bulky. After I found this site, I read a post where a guy made a sonar holder out of wood that was pretty simple and I did the same. I also made my own hole covers for tip ups. Just used some old plywood laying around, and some of the pink insulation board. The pink board stuff was  3-4 inches thick, glued that to the plywood (make them a little more durable) and cut them with a jigsaw to the size I needed. Then cut a slot for the tip up shaft to slide into. I'll try to post some pics. New to the site, so I'm figuring everything out. By the way, how are you catching your baitfish? Are you doing that before the hard water? I've been wanting to get my own bait tank going to save some money. Just don't know a good way to catch em.

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Oct 01, 2010, 05:14 PM »
First off,,, Welcome to your new home!!! I have been catching my own bait for some time now. It's a lot of work, but in the long run when you look into that tank and see how many bait are in there it's a good feeling. I use regular bait traps, but I also use a rod and reel to get the bigger ones. In Mass we are only allowed to have a 1" opening on our traps.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 01, 2010, 05:32 PM »
It always means more when you catch fish on your own stuff. A sense of pride you could say.

JIGGIN.

Offline pirkaus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Is it safe? You go first.
« Reply #5 on: Oct 01, 2010, 05:34 PM »
I am also frugal (cheap), I will buy some things but I Disney Engineer some of my own things too.
Pirk
It's hard for us turkeys to work.....                                    while dodging S#!* from soaring eagles

Offline wshnIwsfshn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 01, 2010, 05:36 PM »
Trap my own shiners
I use my old fishing buddy to find fish and depths.
Want to learn how to make my own jigs.
Bought a strikemaster auger used .
Made my own box to pull my gear out .
Brand name items use to be important to me but as i get older it dont matter as long as it works .

Offline ice 45

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 01, 2010, 05:48 PM »
Build my own custom summer and winter fishing rods, had some blank molds machined so now i am making ice jigs which will cut costs down alot and hopefully make me some money back some day. And I tie my own hair jigs.

"The temptation to quit will be greatest just before you are about to succeed."

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #8 on: Oct 01, 2010, 07:05 PM »
Friggin' good post, pikeking! I too, make my own stuff, and like (have) to save money! Doesn't have to be big name stuff for me! Here's mine in a nutshell: Have been making a minnow/bait keeper for many years that keeps your bait alive for weeks on end...sold a LOT of these, (there's a few members on this site who own one...couldn't afford the patent) No running to the bait shop every week for me! My shack is a Shappell DLX 4000 that I picked up for 200 clams 'cause it was mismarked, 6 years ago...an Eskimo Stingray auger for 200 bucks 'cause the box was open, Ranger boots for 40 bucks that were a return, Walls Blizzrad Pruf bibs  that were a xmas return, a Starter Extreme parka for 40 bucks clearance at Wally World in the spring...I make and paint my own lead head jigs w/bodies and tails, running 6 or 7 year old Buddy Heaters bought at an auction, hooks from a garage sale, re-do old slip bobbers with varnish and new paint, using a Coleman 2 burner camp stove
that I bought new in '76 and still maintain & use to cook lunch on the ice...think you get the idea. My only (big) expense is for the President reels I won't compromise on, and my Gary Roach and Premier ice rods. I just can't back off those...!   ::) All in all, I have as much fun, stay as warm as, and catch as many fish as the the folks who drop the big bucks on the high-end gear. I guess it's whatever works for ya!!! ;D
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

surflizard

« Reply #9 on: Oct 01, 2010, 07:27 PM »
I'll admit that I like some of the new technology thats come into ice fishing, but I still have all of the old gear that I started with too ! My hand carved jig stick and the ice spud that I made in high school still go out with me on every trip. I did have to have one unit that a buddy showed me, its hand made in Minnesota too !  Sorry Reb, I couldn't resist !  ;D  Good to see ya buddy !

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #10 on: Oct 01, 2010, 07:43 PM »
Thanks, Surfy! Good to be back!  Thanks for the "bump"... Know you're gonna love that "Minnesota Made" item!!!!! ;D I'm just worried that you'll love it sooo much, that LLT is gonna be wondering what you're doing...  :whistle:
Naaa...she's smarter than that!!!!  Just tell her they DON'T come in pink!!! ; :roflmao:
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

surflizard

« Reply #11 on: Oct 01, 2010, 07:54 PM »
The Minnow Magic is Awesome Reb ! Thanks again buddy !! Naa, LLT doesn't do pink, too fluffy she says ! I do get points for anything in camo though !  :roflmao:

Offline pontiac787

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Oct 01, 2010, 08:53 PM »
Good post PikeKing.  I love building and tinkering with stuff but sometimes it just comes down to the fact that there aren't enough hours in the day. 

If anyone has some good plans for a tip-up light let me know.  I can't see shelling out $8-$10 bucks a piece for them.

Trooper Bri

« Reply #13 on: Oct 01, 2010, 09:43 PM »
Awesome post pikeking!

Pontiac, I made some tipup lights using Ford remote entry fobs (they're 6v), some tilt switches used for remote start installations (to know when the hood is up), and blue 5V LED's from Radio Rhack. All I paid for was the LED's. It was a project I posted on the site a couple years ago.

Also built my own 1-man flipover using a standard JetSled, electrical conduit, silver/black tarp, and Gorilla duct tape. Another project I posted. Frahillbilly 2.

I do stand by my Ice Armor, my Nils, Coleman stove, and Bud Light. After that, it's free range bubba!  ;D

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #14 on: Oct 02, 2010, 04:32 AM »
If I was a little bit more handy, I too would just fabricate anything I need.

However being brand conscious, only means I have a point of reference that I can relate to or make a comparison to.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #15 on: Oct 02, 2010, 05:39 AM »
I love making my own stuff when I can, you usually can make it better quality and cheaper, plus the pride you made it and it actually works! Smitty
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline CHICKENFOOT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Oct 02, 2010, 06:39 AM »
Yes King I do the same make all my own Seabass and Fluke rigs and the Seabass fishing in your state is second to none...  all my sinkers are made from a mold I bought at a garage sale from an tool and dye maker and everyone whats these sinkers as they are long and flat  and don't get hung up, make all my or most of my ice jigs except jiggin rapalas and I wish I could raise my own wax worms and Moussies.. but as far as augers I made one electric not so good, I will be looking into a Icegator this year but I can't decide on Ion or standard Battery 160.00 difference is it worth it for 8lbs..? 

Offline xcr440

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Oct 02, 2010, 07:15 AM »
I would love to have my own shiner tank but in Wi with the hemoragic thing there are way too many hurdles to jump through just to use them. I have dabled with making my own rods. Didn't turn out so well. I usually buy my stuff from buddies who are updating or don't use items.  Most of my stuff is usewd other than my eskimo mako ice auger and frabill flip over.

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #18 on: Oct 02, 2010, 07:26 AM »
i made my own traps kind of like the slammers but imo...better.i would trap my own bait for the season but in NY its not legal any more, but i do try to catch my own bait to use on the ice that day when i can.i admit though that i prefer to buy certain product brands like my clam flip over and my marcum and lowrance fish finders.imo boots are a must have name brand its been my experience that you get what you pay for.also as far as cold weather gear (gloves,bibs jacket) i run carharts cause thats what i'v had forever and they last, however with all the new waterproof gear out there i would love to up grade and i don't want to waste my hard earned dollar on cheaper gear that has to be replaced in a couple of years,i would much rather pay a little more for name brand that is known to last

surflizard

« Reply #19 on: Oct 02, 2010, 07:54 AM »
I designed This Rube Goldberg Contraption to protect my equipment from Me !  ;D

I call it the Lizard Lowrance Launch proof lunch box !!  :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline jasond37

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag!
« Reply #20 on: Oct 02, 2010, 07:57 AM »
It's not that I'm brand name concious, it's just that those brand names are pretty much the only ones that make that particular product!  I am pretty sure there are some laws in MN as far as raising your own bait go (I couldn't tell you what they state, but I know they exist), especially with the threat of spreading invasive species.  That's a big deal here.  The bait at the stores are all raised under strict guidelines.  I have been wanting to begin making my own jigs for quite some time now, just need to buy everything and start doing it.      

surflizard

« Reply #21 on: Oct 02, 2010, 08:07 AM »
Hey Jason, I'm thinking along those same lines as far as making Jigs go. I just got my Barlows catalog and they have complete setups for everything pouring lead heads to finishing them !

Offline icefshninnh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Oct 02, 2010, 08:39 AM »
it sucks that more people dont make there own or pass on older gear when not used any more but i find lots of hand crafted older gear at yard sale some of the old stuf is greta to use still but as long as the people respect nature bought or made its all good enjoy the out doors properly so it will be there to pass our self made stuf on to our kids

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
« Reply #23 on: Oct 03, 2010, 05:21 PM »
i'm about half and half. i love my st croix rods but there is always something home made hanging off the end. i love the challenge of making new jigs and lures to drop under the ice.
all my vexx'es have mods that are "hand made"
but making my own tackle , and helping others make theirs, is where i get my satisfaction from.
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #24 on: Oct 03, 2010, 06:39 PM »
I used to make almost everything I used. Made my own electric auger, built my first flip over shack, all my rods, used my summer reels in the winter. I just dont have the time or ambition to really do it anymore. I put my time into cutting firewood to eliminate my heat bill in the winter which funds my icefishing. I find now that im as addicted to buying icefishing stuff as I am using it. I do enjoy building shacks and "modding" them though...

Offline Nutsicles

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Can't sleep, ice season is too short!!
« Reply #25 on: Oct 04, 2010, 08:44 AM »
here's the pics of the recent stuff I've made. Hopefully I got them loaded right. Stole the idea for the fishfinder holder from a post on here.

I forgot to resize them. Sorry everyone.

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Oct 04, 2010, 02:22 PM »
Looking good man, might want to use some paint. That wood will soak up the water pretty good.

Offline musky-man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #27 on: Oct 04, 2010, 03:45 PM »
i completly agree with u pikeking. if i can make it myself instead of buying it i will. A. i love to challenge myself, anyone with money can go buy some item off a shelf, why not buy everything u need to make it and then go at it. u learn so much more that way, not only about the project ur working on, but also u learn about the little things that make everything work. one simple thing iv done that im yet to see anyone else do is take a guitar string and make a spring bobber out of it. plus the greatest thing about trying to make ur own stuff is if u dnt have something and u try to make it but i didnt work uv only gained knowledge, so why not try ;D
if your not fishing, your not living

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #28 on: Oct 04, 2010, 07:06 PM »
Why so brand name conscious?  I abore logos but I love quality and durability.  If that quality and durability come at the cost of a brand name or logo, I'm all in.  More often than not, and I realize there are exceptions, quality is something that must be purchased and mediocrity is the norm.  I would say that the majority of purchasers are focused on their wallet.  While there is nothing wrong with this, it does come at a cost in my opinion.  If you grind it out day in and day out, the more durable/performance based products, the ones that will invariable be with you over time and are the better value in the long run, are the ones that invariable cost more.  There are always compromises in life and the majority (mediocrity as a result) compromise the most.  Having said that, I also recognize there is a certain thing to be said about building something of your own hands, and ice anglers seem to be more apt and adept at doing this than others in the outdoor lifestyle.  However, if given the cost of building something one off and buying the highest quality item available, the one off approach probably is more expensive in the long run.  Why brand?  For the most part, the more expensive equates to the most durable and utilitarian and if I'm going to buy, I'm buying the best which is ultimately the best value over time.    Typically there is an underlying reason why it is more expensive. 
Chris Raymond

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Oct 04, 2010, 10:48 PM »
Chris, I understand what you are saying. There are things that I have that cost a pretty penny too. I like Diawa reels and I don't care how much they are. But I don't need 10 of them because I have 10 rods! My clothes are expensive, and my boots are expensive, and I don't skimp on the line, and treminal gear that I like.
 I'm talking about stuff from open water being reused for the ice, or building something so I can save a buck. I made mods to my jetsled so it is more helpful, trap my own bait to cut the cost of bait, Had a 10" stainless scoop made so I don't keep breaking the small ones.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.