Author Topic: Ever fallen through the ice???  (Read 1708 times)

Offline lives2fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ever fallen through the ice???
« on: Dec 30, 2009, 11:08 PM »
I posted this for the ice shanty family as kind of set of guidelines to use from the people who have expirienced it. I know it's not a popular subject but with the wacky weather it might just be the difference between living to fish again and becoming a sad statistic...
If you have fallen through, maybe give us some insight, how thin was the ice what were some of the signs it was going to happen etc.
I know this is a scary subject but hopefully it will be a wake up call for us all and shed light to the newbies and save a life.
If you have I am glad to hear that your alive and well
Thanks in advance and be safe out there...
God bless us all on and off the ice...
No, I mean I REALLY REALLY LOVE TO FISH!!!

Offline gbrebory

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ever fallen through the ice???
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2009, 11:18 PM »
fell through once on a half inch of ice on the flint river fishing open water for gators got too close to my dad when we were netting a fish went through and learned my lesson.... by the way fishing for eyes was never better than that day

Offline icehousepsycho

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2009, 11:36 PM »
Gone thru twice.  Both times near the edges.  They rot first.  Sun warms them and they thaw and refreeze making them weaker.  Good to carry a complete set of dry clothes in your truck, down to coats and shoes.  This saved me the second time I went in, because it was over my neck and extremely cold.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2009, 11:49 PM »
It had warm snow/rain the day before.  There was still open water on the lake.  It was warm that day and nice layer of water was on top...the wind picked up and the temps dropped quickly to the teens, not sure about wind chill factor.  Everything was glazed flat.  You couldn't tell if a fishing hole was there or not.

It was the walk back to the car.  I was just walking fine and then before I knew it. I slipped into through the ice.  The imminent thought of death flashed before my eyes, but I reacted quickly to save myself from dunking underwater.  But I still got seriously wet and found myself in just a little over waist deep submerged in water.  My feet didn't touch bottom.  My sled had pinned me against the edge of the hole.  It was still a long walk to the car...about a good 20 minutes still.  I crawled out of the hole.  Turns out it was about the size of a good spearing hole, just big enough to sink a person.  Not even a sign of a warning from the person who opened it and just happens to be in the direct walk path to the parking lot and community fishing spot.  The conditions determined that I should not strip off wet clothing, otherwise I'll freeze and succumb to hyperthermia.  I could feel the wet clothing beginning to stick to the ice that I layed upon.  I took just a moment to empty the water from my boots and squeezed some excess water from my clothes.  Gathered my composure and continued my walk back.  I didn't think about anything else but to make it to the car and turn the heat on.  It seemed like forever.

Got back to the car, started it, and turned the heat on max.  I took off the boots and removed all unneccessary outer layerd clothing, which is now crusted with ice.  Sat in there for about 10 minutes as the car warmed up.  It still felt like it took forever.  I'm glad I had the right clothing underneath.  All polyester quick drying base layers and fleece top and bottoms.  I was damped, but felt relieved.  Another 10 minutes passed by and I had recovered enough to put the rest of my gear away.  Took a quick inventory and I may have lost a few things while I fell through the ice.  I was bummed, as I normally wear prescription glasses, now I had to go get a new pair.  All other things in the sled was accounted for.

It was bad, it was in the direct path from the parking lot to the community fishing hole.  That year, I had purchased my Artic Armor suit after this ordeal.  I normally don't carry ice picks, but always a handy folding knife in the pocket with very easy access that will do the job.  

It was a good thing it was merely just a spear hole and had good ice still around it making it easy for me to get out of.  Common sense thinking and not stripping out of my wet clothing ensured my livelihood today.  At that time I had my Matterhorn gortex boots...Waterproof, but holds water in them really well too.  The time taken to just empty the water out of them was very beneficial.

I did go back to the spot about two days after, but now it's clearly marked with some two by fours.  Looks like I wasn't the only one who fell through this hole in the direct walking path.

For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Dull Hooks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2009, 04:54 AM »
 I've fallen through twice , luckily both times not over my head. The first time happened when I lived in NH. Some friends and I set out to a local lake to fish for rainbows. In an area I knew well , there is a very small feeder creek that dumps into the lake in the area. We'd always set up well away from it not knowing the ice thickness and if any water was coming from the small creek as the ice and snow was gone from that area. For weeks we had cold weather no melting and no rain so chances of water flowing into the lake were slim. Setting up in our normal distance away , my friend went around with the power auger as I went behind him cleaning them out and dropping some salmon eggs down the hole. At one of the holes following his exact trail in the snow I took a step about 1 foot around the other side of a hole where he's footprint was not. The ice broke away and one side of me slowly went into the water. I couldn't touch bottom but composed myself to roll the other way onto the ice the way I walked from before. That made for a very short day ... But lucky..

The mext time happened here , I fished in the morning it was late ice and the boat ramp where everyone accessed was close due to thin ice and open water. I walked on where everyone else walked and a couple of 4 wheelers got onto the ice.. Leaving about noon time to run home to do a couple of things and got permission from the lil lady to head back out til dark. Went back got on the same way I did before . Got back to my spot I had earlier as the fishing was very good there in the morning. I did hear and notice more and more anglers getting onto the ice at the same spot as I did three times before. I packed it up just before it got too dark to walk back , ( had no light with me ) . Just about got back to get off the ice and about 6 feet from shore the ice broke free. I'm now waist deep in the water , feet on the bottom. I take my ice auger and bucket and push them forward onto the ice in front of me. I carry a trappers basket on my back , so that stayed there as I tried to push down onto the ice to lift myself up. The ice kept breaking. Finally a few minutes later I find ice strong enough to lift myself up. Grab my stuff and head to the truck. Started it , called home to inform the wife to have a change of clothes and a towel ready for me when I got home. Dumped my boots out , wrung my socks best I could hopped into the truck to warm up. Decided to take them off , my pockets were full of slush ice. Drove very quickly home, good thing I didn't get stopped for speeding wearing underwear and heavy boots and sweatshirt. ....  Again very lucky it didn't happen out any further , this time I was fishing alone.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2009, 05:31 AM »
went threw twice once trapping walking on a beaver pond ,once fishing , it's the walk back to the car, worst was fishing thank god my nephew was there, the cold was replaced by a warm feeling and i got extremly tired! he got me back to the truck i stripped to underwear and shivered for a hour with heater on me, that was when i was in my 20's at 52 i think i'd really be in trouble!  becareful and  carry extra  dry cloths a old snowmoble suit in a dry bag  could save you or a friend

Offline Richard Cr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 31, 2009, 06:52 AM »
Been through the ice on two different occasions. The first time the ice was covered with a thin layer of water making it very difficult to walk on. I was trying to walk on as many snow skiffs as I could for traction. I was about 20' from two guys out fishing when I went through. There was no cracking, no nothing. Absolutlely no warning what so ever. I felt my feet on the bottom and the water was about shoulder high. I just kicked up and rolled onto the ice. The two guys just sat there and watched. As soon as they realized that I was OK, they packed their stuff and they were out of there too. I had about a half mile walk back to the vehicle and my clothing was becoming rather stiff by the time I got to the vehicle. Fortunately a good friend of mine only lived about six miles away, so I went to his abode and stripped down to my underwear and huddled around his wood stove for about two hours before I headed back home.
The other incident was due to a mixture of pure stupidity and a DAA (dumb a$$ attack)...a dangerous combination. I decided to go ice fishing on the Maple River near Elsie - above the dam and was going to put out a couple of tip ups. I got the first one set and was looking for a place to set the second one. Welllll, there was an interesting spot on the ice where the color of the ice changed and me with my infinite wisdom decided that was the place! It was, I went through. Fortunately it was only about "jewel" deep. I was the only person out there anywhere. I didn't have a problem getting back onto the ice, but I did learn a valuable lesson...STAY AWAY FROM DISCOLORED ICE.
The next story (yes I'm long winded today) happened a couple of years ago on Crystal Lake. I went out walleye fishing on first ice. I got there and there were about twenty people out on the ice fishing so I headed out and didn't want to sit right in the crowd so I was off to the side of them about 30 yards. I took my spud and one whack and it was through the ice. I tried it again and the same thing happened. Well, I thought I'm standing on the ice and it is holding me, so... well anyway, there was an area that appeared to be a crack out in front of the other people fishing and there was a tip up on the other side of the crack. The flag went up and a guy (LARGE) that was in the parking lot that started heading out to it. He stepped on the crack and was through the ice in about 20 FOW. I was closer than anyone to him, but was thinking I know how thick the ice is here and I know how thick the ice is there and 1 person through the ice is better than two. I now know to carry rope with me - none at that time. It took two tries from two different people to finally get him out of the ice - with the assistance of an ice auger to make the extended reach. I reeled my line in and decided that there was no fish worth dying for. It was about two weeks before I even went ice fishing again.
Hoovering like a fly....waiting for a windshield on the freeway

Offline ErikR

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 31, 2009, 07:24 AM »
I have been throe the ice twice, both times on the Connecticut River

One time the water was only hip deep

The other time my sled saved me from going in beyond my chest 

Both times where completely unexpected, and due to changing water levels with a coating of thin ice and snow to camouflage the gaps

I'm much more careful then I used to be and always try to be prepared for a dunking, IE a rope,hand spikes and a change of clothing in the car

Offline JEBADIAH

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • R.I.P. JEB
« Reply #8 on: Dec 31, 2009, 07:29 AM »
I got my cherry popped last year and it was no fun.I had just started fishing that morning and decided to make a move so I packed up and started marching.Ice was 8in.with a snowy crust on it and all looked the same.Next thing ya know I take a step and I shoot right through the ice up to my neck.The amazing thing about it is how fast it happened.So I'm in the water looking across the ice at eye level in a little bit of a daze when I feel the water rushing into my boots I snapped out of it and pushed myself out with my arms and a scissor kick,rolled away from the hole and stood up.Tip toed over and grabbed my trap and pulled it back to where I came from.I think it was 15 degrees out so all my clothes started to freeze stiff and it was a long walk back to the truck so I set up my trap and fired up my heater and stripped down best I could and tried to dry out best I could.Did manage to fish while I was drying but it was a waste of time.Got to my truck around 3 and was never so glad to feel heat and drink beer.I had stepped into a gas hole by chance and thankfully I was able to push out of it.

Offline MGK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 31, 2009, 07:37 AM »
Ya when I was like 7 or 8 years old we have a stream the comes through the yard and I had just froze over. On the back edge of our property a waterfall starts and at the bottom it is about 4-5 ft deep. I thought it was a good idea to walk across it and fell in. I got swept down stream and my older brother fished me out with and ice scoop. Ever since then I am VERY nervous when in thin ice and first ice.

Offline archetype_wyo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 31, 2009, 07:41 AM »
A couple of times. First time I think we were out on the lake and me and my little sister were out exploring the shore and I jumped from a rock onto the ice and about knee down was wet and dad was pissed beyond belief but I said I wasn't cold...which probably was a fib haha.

Next time I was definately cold. Me and my buddies always crossed the creek on the ice that formed there and I was the last to cross and went right in fully soaked.
Life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. ~Bill Hicks

Offline MeatHunter737

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • GutPileStyle
« Reply #11 on: Dec 31, 2009, 07:49 AM »
Havent fallen through yet, but I just started to carry extra clothes in my car, and ice picks in my pocket.... this is also the earliest in the year I have ever ventured out ... 3 times before New Years ..... :thumbsup:

Offline wilenard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 31, 2009, 08:00 AM »
At least 10 times. Darwin is trying his best but I have been lucky to get out!  :blink:
"Success comes before work only in the dictionary"

"No God, no love; Know God, know love!"

chimo

« Reply #13 on: Dec 31, 2009, 08:11 AM »
I went through last winter.  The best access to the lake I was fishing was to park at a boat launch right next to a little dam and then follow the lake over flow stream out onto the lake.  2 days before I had drilled and spudded my way out without a problem so I just walked right out and fished for a couple hours.  It was blowing and snowing so bad that I decided to call it quits early and head back in.  I was half way back when without any warning I found myself eyeball deep in the lake.  I'm really not sure what happened.  The ice was only an inch or 2 thick and looked like it was just frozen snow where I went through.  My only guesses are that 1) someone opened a big hole for some reason and the snow just covered it over and some crap ice formed   2)  I've heard that when snow insulates the ice, moving water can eat away at it from the underside and maybe that is what happened.  Either way, I busted some more crap ice out of the way and then kicked and pulled my way back topside.  Fingers were about numb by the time I made it back to the car and opening my zippered pocket to get my keys was pretty tough.  Somehow I have a feeling that it will probably happen again sometime so early ice always finds me with my vest and pics.  If you are going to chance it, might as well be prepared.  Good fishin

Chimo

Offline minnowdrowner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • T-bar!!!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 31, 2009, 08:20 AM »
Been through 4 times, 3 times through unmarked spear holes >:( Once in about 15' of water on early ice. Luckilly Early ice I fish with a buddy and a life jacket. We tie about 75' of rope between us and walk seperately each with spud bars in case one goes in; the other can pull them out. So far I'm the only one that has gone through (probably because I always volunteer to lead the way ;) ) The buddy system really works though and having rope already tied to each other eliminates the need for throwing and grabbing a rope when you get that shock of hitting the water.
How many times do I gotta go through holes before I watch where I'm going? I am an amateur fisherman, but an all star minnow drowner!

Offline knotreelly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 31, 2009, 08:43 AM »
3 times, worst was fishing a cove that had 8" of ice and out beyound the lake was open. end of the day i was leaving and was about 10' from shore when i went thru, was about 7' deep there and the worst part was my 2 month old jiffy went down. instantly i tried to get out and then realized where my auger was and then istarted feeling around with my foot and after several trys i got my foot into the handle and was able to lift it up which actually made my head go under a few times but i wasn't going to leave my new auger. stupid yeah, but sometimes you just have to, and this was one of those times for me.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 31, 2009, 09:35 AM »
I walked out with my spud to check the ice and gave one hit and was up to my waist with the little guy doing the turtle. The ice was 3 inches thick but the water was 6 inches below the bottom of the ice. I broke a path to shore and my day was ruined.

Next time the snow was covering the ice and I stepped where a spring was and went right through chest high. My buddy pushed his sled over and pulled me out but if he wasn't there I would have been in real trouble. At 58 now I think if I went through it would stop the ticker dead in it's tracks. Getting back to the truck is real hard but crawling off thin ice is the worst when you can hear it cracking all around you.
The idea is to spread your weight out and don't try to stand up concentrating all your weight in one square foot.

Last year I saw a spot where some idiots had opened up a giant hole about 4 feet by 4 feet. Not sure if they were diving under the ice or what but it was very dangerous and should be illegal to leave it un marked.

Gary
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 31, 2009, 09:47 AM »
Twice...

First time I was about 15 it was in late Jan. it was in the single digits and there was at least 15 inches of ice. There are two small islands on the lake and of course my first thought was structure not bad ice (see above 15 inches). I did not realize that a current flowed between the islands. I only went in waist deep and was able to crawl out with my ice picks. I was soaked and my legs frozen instantly in the wind. Luckily we had a permanent shack with a nice hot wood fire and emergency dry clothes!

Second time was again up-to my waist in an old auger hole during late ice on Mayfield Lake.  Sunny and Warm almost 40. My wool pants dried fast and I stayed warm it was sunny and I kept fishing :)

I never leave without all my safety and emergency gear :)

Offline keng52

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 31, 2009, 11:13 AM »
Gone thru twice.  Both times near the edges.  They rot first.  Sun warms them and they thaw and refreeze making them weaker.  Good to carry a complete set of dry clothes in your truck, down to coats and shoes.  This saved me the second time I went in, because it was over my neck and extremely cold.

I agree with your thought, Icehouse. FYI.. I like to throw an 8 foot plank in the back of my truck for late season fishing to "span the gap". It's helped me out many times, but there are also times when you need a boat to reach the ice.

Ken......

Offline icecube

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 31, 2009, 11:19 AM »
  Just ordered Ice Armband Grippers fom red rock store.  Look like a good idea to me.  They are in there ice fishing accesories.   Never hurts to be prepared.   

Offline ICEMAN73

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 31, 2009, 12:31 PM »
Never went through, but i did manage to put my whole leg in an old 8" hole last year.  NOT FUN!!!  It wasnt my hole.  It was an old hole that had a little snow drift over it.
I also carry all the safty gear.  I little tip too is, put your cell phone in a zip lock to keep it dry, just in case you need to call 911 

Offline UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 31, 2009, 01:00 PM »
Just once and never want to do it again. First time on a new lake, 14" of solid ice everywhere we had drilled. We were checking depths along a steep drop off, 6' down to 20' of water and yours truly walks over a spring! That sinking feeling is something you never forget! A quick tuck and roll from my cat like reflexes meant I only got soaked to the waist. Of course that was 30 years ago....today I'd probably need scuba gear!  ;D

Offline isthereiceyet89

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "the Green Hornet strikes again!!!"
« Reply #22 on: Dec 31, 2009, 02:35 PM »
i fell in once when i was younger i might have been about 6 or 7  my dad and uncle were unloading the gear and i was playing around the shore, i noticed an odd colored patch of ice so i went to investigate...i ended up into my arm pits needless to say my dad wasnt to happy >:(, he took me home got another snow suite and i learned not to be so curious ???.

Offline DyingBreed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DYING BREED
« Reply #23 on: Dec 31, 2009, 02:53 PM »
Atleast once a year! Darn farmkid in me. Love those eyes and water wolves, just seems the thinner the ice the better they bite!
Biggest problem is underwater springs around here. Setbacks mostly 3-6 ft. deep around here and those darn wolves love to come in off the river in the late spring !  ;D
I use  an ice chisel that time of year as it's rare the holes freeze over very thick. The chisel acts as a probe by hitting the ice ahead. NOTE: Sometimes the chisel lies! :%$#!: good luck and high flags.
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy !  Fish on, gotta go ..........!!!

Offline arcticcatz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 31, 2009, 03:21 PM »
only once, Right allong the edge of a lake about 3 1/2 ft of water on my way in.  I'm always very careful.  Good luck this year and be safe!

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 31, 2009, 03:25 PM »
YES................... ...................... ........now we wait til it can support me fat bum.... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline IceNomads

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GOT ICE!!
« Reply #26 on: Dec 31, 2009, 03:36 PM »
ive only fell down a hole
 FISHIN' IS LIKE SEX, THE LESS YOU GET, THE MORE YOU LIE!!

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #27 on: Dec 31, 2009, 03:37 PM »
Stuck a foot through on Christmas day.  I was standing on the sea wall and punched a hole through.  Put one foot on to reach out and measure the ice with my hand and through it went.  I knew it was only about a foot deep tho.  Funny that my foot never hit bottom.  :)

-Jeff

Offline fish_finder

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 31, 2009, 04:37 PM »
Three times, once when i was little on our pond, once trying to get on the ice the last day of the season and went through a river up to my waist in high school being stupid
Theres only 3 seasons..open water, hunting and icefishing!

Offline Dee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Dec 31, 2009, 05:02 PM »
i went through one i was spuding in early December found it was only an inch thick luckily i was only in 4 feet of water

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.