Author Topic: DOWN THE HOLE  (Read 3572 times)

Offline needice

• Team IceShanty Regular
DOWN THE HOLE
« on: Dec 28, 2009, 09:04 PM »
I was setting up my shanty today and put one of the spanner poles in the front up and it was a little loose.This is my first flip-over shanty so I am new to order of things.I said to myself"no problem,put in the other side and then the top spreader will tighten them up".We'll I turn around to put it in and I hear a metal clang behind me"no problem,6 ft pole just fell over,turn around,where that sucker go?,under the tub skirt?,nope.NO way that thing could've,we'll guess what :%$#!: :%$#!:.We'll luckily we were in 10 ft of water and my buddy gets lucky and hooks it with his little jig but in the process snaps his tip off his pole.I am happy/sad at the same time.I thank him and give him 1 of my brand new ice blues.It is amazing how an 8" hole can turn into a 2 footer sometimesLOL

Offline USMarine2001

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: DOWN THE HOLE
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2009, 09:08 PM »
I don't think this will happen to you again but you can buy the same foam that goes on the flasher cable and put some on the spreader poles just in case, won't weigh much!

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2009, 09:11 PM »
Didn't you know that ice holes are magnetic?    ;D
In the future set up shanty, drill holes and slide shanty into place.
When leaving, slide shanty away from holes and takedown for transport.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2009, 09:21 PM »

I was just going to suggest that. Always set up/take down the shanty away from your holes.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline ice--cube

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2009, 09:22 PM »

I have learned to do this. A couple years ago I lost one of my shacks poles down the hole. I just went and bought a piece of conduet to replace it with.

Offline Lookin Up

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2009, 10:33 PM »
Set up my shanty for the first time the other day and the wind shifted it...which in turn set my telescoping ice scoop in motion towards the magnetic hole and down it went!  Worse part was the ice was so clear I watched it sway back and forth quite a ways down!   :-\

Offline slowkota

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Biggest jumbo yellabellies
« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2009, 10:39 PM »
Yeah, I had a $200 pair of sunglasses do that... bloop, down the hole! Watched them flutter down the hole, dissappearing into the dark abyss like a beautiful pike spoon should...

Only they were my $200 pair of shades $^##&@  8)

Offline UpNorth -21

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "FISH ON"
« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2009, 12:14 AM »
Hope them shades were solid gold for $200!!! ;D
"Catch And Release into the Grease"

Offline icehousepsycho

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 29, 2009, 12:21 AM »
I've lost a transducer head for a flasher.  The iceholes are a vortex, drop something and down it goes.  Good news is it gave me an excuse to get a Vexilar FL-18 a couple years ago, and I love it.

Offline GotEmHooked

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 29, 2009, 12:31 AM »

YES SIR!.....I was out with a buddy of mine  today and stopped him and instructed that same exact process!!....ice fishing can be alt easier if you stop to think before you do things, that is for sure!

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 29, 2009, 12:46 AM »
Always zip up your pockets too. Bending over to get a fish  will always cause something valuable to come out of a pocket.

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Dec 29, 2009, 12:46 AM »
Drifter,,,you have to be one of the most ingenues guys here. That sounded like a rookie move to me, what do you think? Never set up anything next to a hole! You will lose it when you least expect to!!!
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline 4x4elk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 29, 2009, 01:48 AM »
Father-in-law lost a cell phone last year. Two years ago my son lost a new un-attended rod down the hole he had help, the fish hit the hook and I heard the pole hit the bottom of the shanty it was to late gone get this he yelled at me! (acts just like his mother)  ::)
FIND'EM, CATCH'EM, FILLET'EM, GRILL'EM & EAT'EM

Offline mako003

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 29, 2009, 04:04 AM »
last year while out on a lake I watched a father and his young son trying to set up there gear in a 15 knot wind well dad was doing great put the little guy in the shelter was putting his auger together went the shelter took off with the little 1 in side got it back pick up his auger drilled 1 hole POOF and it was gone the 8inch bit down the hole they pack up and left

so I walked over marked it on the gps the  next day  went back with a heavy magnet caught a auger bit and I took it to the bait shop as where everyone goes to  the owner of the shop  knew the  guy that lost it  so I left it with him

the next time I went in to the store to buy bait it was free and there was a new rod and reel with it from the guy that lost it

Offline bigfoot697

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 29, 2009, 05:55 AM »
last year while out on a lake I watched a father and his young son trying to set up there gear in a 15 knot wind well dad was doing great put the little guy in the shelter was putting his auger together went the shelter took off with the little 1 in side got it back pick up his auger drilled 1 hole POOF and it was gone the 8inch bit down the hole they pack up and left

so I walked over marked it on the gps the  next day  went back with a heavy magnet caught a auger bit and I took it to the bait shop as where everyone goes to  the owner of the shop  knew the  guy that lost it  so I left it with him

the next time I went in to the store to buy bait it was free and there was a new rod and reel with it from the guy that lost it thank you for being a friend. good stuff right there

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Dec 29, 2009, 07:18 AM »
Always zip up your pockets too. Bending over to get a fish  will always cause something valuable to come out of a pocket.
cell phone few yrs ago

Offline getnjiggywithit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 29, 2009, 08:11 AM »
Murphy's law  if you have something valuable and there is a  hole nearby it will end up in the hole!!!
By the way I loved your story Mako003  Not enough people like that in this world!

Offline FishinHardWater

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keepin it on the dry side since 2000
« Reply #17 on: Dec 29, 2009, 08:11 AM »
i was talking on my cellphone, and playing with a tipup at the same time, holding the phone between my shoulder and ear and standing over the hole,  down it went. at least i got a new phone out of the deal, but lost all my friends numbers .

i was having a bad day that day, it was like 50 mile an hour winds, and tipups were blowing out of the holes... i also lost a bucket, and my hat that day, as they went flying towards open water. tipups were in the bucket, but they fell out only about 10 feet of flying across the ice and i got them before they blew away too

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #18 on: Dec 29, 2009, 09:02 AM »
The ice volcanoe gods demand sacrifices... ;D
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #19 on: Dec 29, 2009, 12:48 PM »
My son likes to bring his girlfriend along with us. She has no interest in ice fishing so she sits in my shanty playing hand held games all day. It wouldn't bother me a bit if that beeping S^%#^%$# went down the hole. I"m referring to the game.  :whistle:  ;D ;)
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Sledgod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 29, 2009, 02:52 PM »
and tipups were blowing out of the holes...

WOW...what kind of tipups were you using???  If they were beaver dams how in the world did you not get blown away... ;D

Offline jonserfish1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hi, my name is Jeff and I'm a fishahaulic!
« Reply #21 on: Dec 29, 2009, 03:09 PM »
Drifter,,,you have to be one of the most ingenues guys here. That sounded like a rookie move to me, what do you think? Never set up anything next to a hole! You will lose it when you least expect to!!!
???
"if you post it Pike king will reply" I think he cracked 1 million replies with this one.

Pike king, why would you call the drifter a  naive, innocent girl or young woman??
 maybe you shouldn't try to use such big words

Offline Jack Magnum

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #22 on: Dec 29, 2009, 03:13 PM »
Yeah, I had a $200 pair of sunglasses do that... bloop, down the hole! Watched them flutter down the hole, dissappearing into the dark abyss like a beautiful pike spoon should...

Only they were my $200 pair of shades $^##&@  8)
same happened to me only a 500 buck pair of script glasses.LOL Wife was upset because she thought the only reason I bought such an expensive pair with the polar magnetic clipons and titatium frames and lense treatments etc. was because the GIRL looked good. Wow !!! What on earth would make her think that ????LOL

Offline spoonfeeder01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 29, 2009, 03:23 PM »
i was talking on my cellphone, and playing with a tipup at the same time, holding the phone between my shoulder and ear and standing over the hole,  down it went. at least i got a new phone out of the deal, but lost all my friends numbers .

i was having a bad day that day, it was like 50 mile an hour winds, and tipups were blowing out of the holes... i also lost a bucket, and my hat that day, as they went flying towards open water. tipups were in the bucket, but they fell out only about 10 feet of flying across the ice and i got them before they blew away too
Haha, yup the shoulder and ear talkin' to the wife, realing in a fish, told her a blue tooth would be nice, as the phone drops down my leg off the tip of my toe, accross the ice "2 points!!" not another hole for twenty feet, vexlars pic them up nice, c-phones have a nice swaying drop :thumbsup:

Offline joejamiejop

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 29, 2009, 03:26 PM »
"if you post it Pike king will reply" I think he cracked 1 million replies with this one.

Pike king, why would you call the drifter a  naive, innocent girl or young woman??
 maybe you shouldn't try to use such big words

I concur!
Thank God for Ice!

Offline joejamiejop

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Dec 29, 2009, 03:29 PM »
To date:
2 Cell phones
4 Pairs Pliers
2 Ice scoops
Sun Glasses
Infanite Depth finders.

Starting to tie things to me or leave them in the truck.
Thank God for Ice!

Offline Lookin Up

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 29, 2009, 03:31 PM »
The ice volcanoe gods demand sacrifices... ;D

That there is funny....but it might explain why I had a pretty good day!

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #27 on: Dec 29, 2009, 04:54 PM »
The proverbial vortexial black hole,nothing can escape it's magnetic powers.It bends light and time and sucks all that we hold needfull into it's black abyss.....

Offline minnowguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 29, 2009, 05:12 PM »
Thats where the aqua vu comes in handy I have retrieved 1 cell phone, 2 tipups, 2 jigging poles and 1 metal wire pole holder using the camera to snag the lost items of the black hole.

Offline WYO.FRENCHCOMMANDO

• IceShanty Rookie
  • All Veterans deserve our utmost respect.
« Reply #29 on: Dec 29, 2009, 07:05 PM »
I was fishing with my brother and we were using his walkie talkies.  Set the thing

in the can holder in my chair when I got up to move, foot caught the chair,

flipped it over and down the hole it went!!!!  He was a little put-out because

they were fairly new;  We're brothers after all was my only reply!!!!!!!!  Those

holes have a way of swallowing things!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.