Author Topic: Glo Jigs  (Read 11561 times)

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
Glo Jigs
« on: Jan 22, 2020, 07:58 AM »
Crappie are a new phenomenon on my home lake and the area in general here in N/W Ontario in just the last few years (we did not naturally have pan fish this far north other than rock bass), so I am still constantly in the learning mode.  For the most part, jig and minnow have been the bread and butter way of catching crappie, but there are times a small lure presentation works better, which leads in to my question about Glo jigs.  I have read up some about them, but have never used them.  Do they seem more effective than a normal colored jig?  Which ones do you like best?  I understand there are some Glo jigs that use some sort of glow stick that is broken and attached to the jig and others that use a phosphorescent paint that must have a light shined on it to make it glow.  What types seems to be the best and how often do the ones that need light shined on them need to have that done?  Thank you for any thoughts.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: Glo Jigs
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2020, 09:03 AM »
lots of them work. can't think of any that don't work as far as glo jigs go. charge with 365nm uv flash light or cup. you could make your own by using the water proof smd led strip and wind it in a short length of pvc with an end cap. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=365+nm+strip i carry a flash light and use it every time i mark fish and no takers or about 5 to 10 minutes depending on quality of paint that was used. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=365+nm+uv+light&i=sporting&crid=J9HRZZE2MRY&sprefix=365+nm%2Csporting%2C700
the size depends on plankton and if they are cluttering the sonar or are so many that you have to compete, then you size up. biggest i use is a 5mm and 3mm is normal size for up to 25 feet. i can tip with glo artificial and do ok also beside spikes.

if i had to pick just one jig that you can still buy it would be a kodiak - marks tiger glo blue with a glo little atom wedgees. https://www.yourbobbersdown.com/product-p/wdg.htm here's a link below showing it work on nice size crappie and a tiny gill going from day to night. because of the paint colors it works well for day and night and that's in part why i would pick it over any thing else. it's made by kodiak https://www.kodiaksg.com/marks-tiger-kt-24-series/
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=316792.0

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2020, 10:25 AM »
I just like glo jigs because, I like em.

There's merits at times that they help a fish see it and home in on the bait.  But I've also caught plenty of fish without the glow jigs also.  For the most part I use glow jigs for night fishing.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2020, 01:05 PM »
I use them and my go to jigs are Chekai tungsten from  Custom Jigs and Spins. My two favorite are the Wonderbread and chartreuse.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2020, 01:12 PM »
I like the big flat profile of the glow forage minnow fry jigs.  big glow big attraction.  w/minnow of course.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2020, 03:02 PM »
Sometimes they work snd sometimes they don't. That is why I have boxes of jigs, spoons, Hali's, hooks, etc etc etc.

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2020, 06:12 PM »
Questions: 3300, what particular flashlite are you referring to, the link shows many flashlites?  On the wedgies, which length and color?  Thank you for all time you spend putting together that information.

I will follow up on researching the Glo jigs the rest of you have suggested.  It can be difficult getting things shipped to Canada for a reasonable rate (or even at all), so that may enter into the equation, but hope to order some of each to try.  As always in fishing, the cost per pound of fish caught makes lobster look like a bargain.  Thank you for the replies and I welcome any other suggestions.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2020, 09:25 PM »
any of the ones rated uv 365nm. that is the wave length you want to charge glo paint the best. i have a 2 pack of one of them that was 15$ us and i have another one that is on the larger side that's 15$ us for one. the smaller ones work just as well.
here is one of the many you can pick that i picked so you know what one works well.
https://www.amazon.com/RaySoar-Flashlight-Zoomable-Blacklight-Counterfeits/dp/B07VS3XJG3

the wedgees are all the same length. as you hook fish and wear the first hole out, you can trim them shorter to get more time with it. you could just trim it shorter if your getting a lot of misses where they bite just the plastic or if you just prefer them to be on the short side.
since you asked about glo, i pair the glo wedgees with a glo jig. they have four colors for you to pick from and they are super cheap so buy a few of each color. i mainly use the one called glo. it is white in color. try glo jigs with non glo plastics and reverse it so its non glo jig with glo plastics. adding sent can help at times if your getting lookers and snubbing your bait. it maybe smelling some thing from your fingers that you have to mask.

glad to help. it's one of many combinations that work and not just on crappie/paper lips. i also use my scoop to land them at the hole because of how thin their tissue is around their mouths. basically i block the hole as more of the fish is in the air because it gets heavier as less and less water allow it to float. block the hole and then raise the fish from under it in case the hook rips out.

Offline Luckydog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2020, 04:17 PM »
My go to combination for night time crappie is a Custom Jigs & Spin glo rat finke with a waxie.  Gently jiggle it just above the the top of the weeds.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #9 on: Nov 22, 2020, 04:51 PM »
My go to that has caught more specks than any of my glow jigs is a  tiny size 18 micro treble with a emerald shiner and a tiny splitshot on the line.i always have a lantern by the hole too.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 22, 2020, 04:57 PM »
I've never had glow lures hurt a bite, only help a bite.

Offline FingerLaker607

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 24, 2020, 06:09 PM »
Lanterns on the other hand...I'm not a big believer in lighting up your hole to "attract" fish.  the only benefit is being able to see your bites better. Used to always burn a coleman at night and found that my buddy with just a headlamp and flasher always caught more fish. I joined the club and never looked back

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #12 on: Nov 24, 2020, 06:22 PM »
Lanterns on the other hand...I'm not a big believer in lighting up your hole to "attract" fish.  the only benefit is being able to see your bites better. Used to always burn a coleman at night and found that my buddy with just a headlamp and flasher always caught more fish. I joined the club and never looked back

I found the “lantern” trick to actually help. However, we take and drill a hole 1/2-3/4 the way down the ice to put the light in. We position it between our shacks, then tend to fish the edges of the lighted area. I’m not sure if it draws in more of the food source that they follow or what......but a soft lighted glow area works well...to bright it seems to scare them off a bit.

If I’m alone I just have my white leds in the one man flip going and it seems to be just the right amount of light. I’m running the old clam or mr ice 3-4ft rope light they sold back in the day

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #13 on: Dec 08, 2020, 06:00 AM »
light is a huge plus!  we been using submersibles for years now under ice.  most time we set baits out at edge of light plume.  I have caught crappie rite next to the light though too.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 03, 2021, 05:55 AM »
For dead sticking crappie at night. It is hard to beat a Bartness Industries Perch eye jig in Glow Red or Glow green Size 6. I use a Rosie red minnow when available. All under  Thill slip bobber set to just break the water surface.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 03, 2021, 06:03 AM »
I don't night fish much, but I do seem to pick up a few more panfish bites on glows at dawn than with a regular jig, so I always have one rod with a glow tied on for those occasions.

Sometimes they work well in deeper and/or very murky water on really overcast days for me too, when there isn't that much light down toward the bottom of the water column.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.