Author Topic: Question with tip up walleyes  (Read 3370 times)

Offline StCroice

• IceShanty Rookie
Question with tip up walleyes
« on: Jan 09, 2012, 07:47 PM »
I'm new to the walleye scene through the ice how are most of you guys rigging tip ups for them?  Do you just use a bare hook and minnow or do you use a jig head?  Any advice is appreciated!

Bullelk34

Re: Question with tip up walleyes
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2012, 09:07 PM »
I use a small (#8-6) treble, and I use a spiderwire leader. Set 6"-12" off bottom.

Offline Vtgooseman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Take em'
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2012, 03:07 PM »
I rig my tip ups with 30lb Dacron trolling line to a barell swivel, then a 12lb Maxima leader or 12lb Fireline in dirty water.  Leader is then tied to a #4 Red Octopus hook.  Ill put a small split shot mid way down the leader.  Pretty simple but it works.  Keep as little weight on your line as possible, just enough to get your bait to bottom.  If you load your leader up with an OZ of weight they will feel the resistance and in most cases drop it.

Offline eyesntightlines

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Beer on the ice is always nice!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2012, 10:21 PM »
If you can use live minnows that's the way to go, some areas allow it and some don't for bait!

Offline gloveless

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2012, 08:47 PM »
What size minnows are recomended? The avg. size that I catch in the summer are 20" on lures though.

Offline Woodsman0311

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2012, 10:05 PM »
Ive always used a 3"-4" minnow for Walleyes and Pike both. But that's summer water, so I'm not sure if its a direct relationship to under the ice.

Offline Capt J

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2012, 10:22 AM »
I like a single hook, a #6 or so with a walleye minnow.

Offline AT3NCION

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2012, 12:17 PM »
I think most people use a solitary hook but you can experiment with all sorts of combinations. People around where i live often use jig heads, though not a lot of people here use live bait, though we can.
I personally have had some success using rigs like the ones listed on this page here: http://www.1soaringeagle.com/guides_corner_icefishingrigsfortipups.html . I thought I was the only person out there using a rig like this until I saw it on this site... Doesn't always work but on somedays walleye really take it.
I have also built ones using inline floats, floating jig heads, and a few using minnow harnesses. I think they all have potential, and the ones using inline floats could nicely be adapted for use with live bait (I mainly use salted minnows).

Offline dkillay64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2012, 10:27 AM »
treble with some beeds and a flashy colorado blade... all on flurocarbon

Offline jmk75

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2012, 11:38 AM »
I just made a new set with a similar setup for walleye; #8 treble, 3 or 4 pink or chartreuse beads and a blade on a 18" 6lb 18" leader.  Should the leader be a little longer for Walleye?

I'll find out tommrow  :)

Offline gooseblaster49707

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 09, 2012, 07:21 PM »
#10 or #12 treble gold or red in color. tied to a 14# test fluorocarbon, berkley vanish, leader of 12''-18'' in length. the dumb end of the leader is tied to a #7 barrel swivel with a palomar knot, same as the hook.  the tip-up line is tied to the swivel with a clinch or palomar knot and a #7 splitshot is attached to the tip-up line not the leader.  a 5''-7'' sucker is then hooked in front of the dorsal fin and dropped down 3'-4' above bottom (yes feet).     agressive fish will come up and hit the big sucker.   little ones tend to leave it alone. since going this route, i haven't had to pull out the tape measure to see if the fish was a keeper or not.    pike smack it quite often.   some sunny days, even the bass won't leave it alone.     have caught 13''-15'' perch on a smaller 4'' sucker but, not often.   one 12'' perch had a 5'' sucker stuck down it's throat the hook wasn't even in it's mouth, the sucker was stuck in it's teeth.  only the one time.
i used to fish blues (shiners) but, found out the 7''-9'' perch were killing my bait and not tripping the flag.   
just my thoughts, just my opinion.    the first rig in the water at my local lake is this one. i normally use an old made in the USA  HT polar with a hole cover and 25# cortland brand line.    my depth marker is a glow in the dark bead.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.