The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Got this email from the DNR today!  (Read 1039 times)

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
Got this email from the DNR today!
« on: Dec 16, 2008, 05:01 PM »
Thank you for taking time out of your valuable schedule to assist Fisheries Division and the Department of Natural Resources in our request for your opinions of changing Statewide regulations for the number of fishing lines from 2 to 3.  Your opinions are highly valued and each response counted in our formulation of the proposal to request a change in the number of lines anglers can use.  We heard from nearly 700 interested citizens and almost 80% of those responses were in favor of increasing the number of lines that an angler can use.

Since 2000, anglers have been allowed to use three lines when fishing for salmon on the Great Lakes, but were restricted to two lines elsewhere and when pursuing other species in the Great Lakes.  Just recently, the Michigan Legislature amended State Statute to provide the Director of the DNR the authority to allow for an increase in the number of fishing rods for all anglers on all public waters of Michigan.  The intent of this change is to allow anglers to fish with three lines (rods) regardless of species, location or season.  The Director would also have the authority to reduce the number of lines to no less than 2 if necessary.

Fisheries Order 247.09 was signed recently by the Director and states that "on all of the public waters in Michigan, those persons in the act of fishing shall be restricted to using no more than 3 single lines or 3 single rods and lines, and shall not attach more than six hooks total on all lines."  The order becomes effective April 1, 2009.

Offline zonks

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Got this email from the DNR today!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2008, 05:12 PM »
Sweet. Fish on

Offline J FISH

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • perch plucken
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2008, 09:18 AM »
Now I can really tangled up.  ;D :laugh: ;D :laugh: ;D :laugh:

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2008, 09:22 AM »
WTG guys!!! Sweet victory!
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline jjmoser

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • give me cold temps and I'll keep em comming
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2008, 09:57 AM »
I still will probly just have one line in 75% of the time, although I have no problem with three, I am usually running and guning or busy hauling them in.  But on a rare occasion that I am fishing for predators it will be nice or crappie fishing with a jigger a deadsticker and a tip up for some preds.  Cool News, I will have to tell my step son who recantly got a handle here on iceshanty about this, he loves pike.  corey_on_ice is his name if ya see him give him a holler. ;D

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2008, 06:07 PM »
MNF--Got the same message.  Frankly, I was really shocked at the fact that only 700 anglers in the whole freakin state responded.  That's apathy for ya.  In a state that has so many anglers, why only 700 would respond is beyond me.  Say yes, say no...but least have a bloody voice. 
Chris Raymond

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2008, 06:11 PM »
MNF--Got the same message.  Frankly, I was really shocked at the fact that only 700 anglers in the whole freakin state responded.  That's apathy for ya.  In a state that has so many anglers, why only 700 would respond is beyond me.  Say yes, say no...but least have a bloody voice. 

Well atleast we had our voice.

I felt the same way when I found out how many had responded. At least things swung toward the angler this time.

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2008, 06:18 PM »
At least things swung toward the angler this time.

Agreed.  Wanna talk about dove hunting?  ;-)
Chris Raymond

Offline blueyes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 17, 2008, 06:22 PM »
this will be great for hard water in 09, 2  :tipup:s and a jigging rod  :o
                    hunting for Ole marble eyes

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.