Author Topic: avoiding gills to catch the crappies  (Read 2778 times)

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
avoiding gills to catch the crappies
« on: Jan 10, 2017, 08:25 AM »
On a lake I fish on, i want to target crappie.  In some of the weedy areas I fish, I can catch really nice gills with an occasional crappie, and I mean like 1 or 2 per day, mixed in.  Do I need to move to find more crappie concentrated?  Change offerings?  Is that just the way the ball bounces?  So if there are a couple crappie around, are there more and Im just not catching them, or are there just an occasional crappie mixed in with the blue gills.  Any thoughts?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: avoiding gills to catch the crappies
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2017, 08:33 AM »
On a shallow weedy flat can be tough as the fish of all species ...move through an area. Basin Crappies can be a lil easier ...fishing higher and/or bigger baits .. when you do catch a crappie...look to see which direction the line goes ...indicating the fish/schools movement ...then hole up in that direction when the bite is gone.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2017, 10:19 AM »
Got to agree with fishing higher. We do it all the time. Many guys just fish too deep for them. That said there are times when they are down low.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline italianice77

• IceShanty Rookie
  • have a crappie day!!!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2017, 02:55 PM »
try spoons or minnows
it's all fun and games till somebody looses a walleye!!

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2017, 02:56 PM »
Go in the evening...   ;)
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2017, 11:12 PM »
Try getting out of the weeds. Go out on the weed edge and then work deeper looking for fish from a foot off bottom on up to just under the ice, they can suspend anywhere! Typically negative crappies sit in weeds/structure while active ones roam the edges.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2017, 05:57 AM »
I stopped tipping my jig with bait and the bluegill numbers went way down and crappie numbers went way up. If you're using a flasher, stay above the school a foot or two.
"One hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."  Anonymous

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.