Tip Area Has Moved! click here.

ICESHANTY.COM - Tipup Tips

<----BACK         HOME

Tip up Help pls

Author Subject: Tip up Help pls
brad Posted At 20:05:06 02/08/2002
Hey all, i live in minnesota, and i got a question... I fish for pike on this little lake called ham lake, and i was wondering, the deepest spot in the lake is 22 feet, were would be a good spot to find pike? And how far off the bottom should i go and which kind of bait?
Knobby Re: Tip up Help pls (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 08:25:21 02/10/2002

Hey Brad, here in Wis. my buddies and i fish a small backwater in about 4 to 5 ft of water. I dont go deep usually about 3 ft down. The pike cruise through above weeds. If theres panfish around chances are there are pike there too. I use a #10 treble hook with 8" steel leader. Tip it with a medium or large golden shiner hooked just behind the dorsal fin, not to low in the body because you'll kill it. This usually produces many pike on a good day, but when it's slow its slow. The bigger the minnow usually the larger the fish, I like mediums because you get more action (smaller fish but more excitement, sometimes the bigges take the smaller minnows also). I'm assuming you are fishing through the ice so use a tip up. In the summer use a leader and a silver floating rapala, no weights. Cast in shallow water (3 to 5 ft) near weed edges.

Good luck brad, hope this was some help...Knobby
Knobby Re: Tip up Help pls (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 08:38:23 02/10/2002

Brad i tried to write how i fish pike but somehow got deleted, so this time I'll try again.
Use a tipup in 4 to 5 ft of water. Set up about 2 to3ft down. Deep water isnt necessary. I use an 8" steel leader with a #10 treble hook and a medium or large golden shiner hooked behind the dorsal fin, but not to deep in the body because you'll kill it. If the waters a little deeper set up just above the weeds. If there are panfish there probably are pike.
Well good luck to you brad, hope this helps...Knobby