Tip Area Has Moved! click here.

ICESHANTY.COM - Tipup Tips

<----BACK         HOME

hunter

Author Subject: hunter
Tim Pawloski Posted At 18:29:32 02/06/2002
I live in harbor beach mi.the place i fish the most is located right off of lake huron. well the place that i ice fish is actually is just a small little boat lunch. it might be about50-60 yards wide and about 100 yards long. there is a channel that go through center of it. the water is from 1ft to 5ft. now i know there is some pike in there but very few. there are quite a lot of trout in there. i guess that would be my main target. now i have perament ice shanty on there. now when i'm in there it is nothing to schools of perch, minny's, schools of white fish, panfish,(sunfish,pumpkinseeds),bass, and trout. matter of fact just yesterday i had aboout a 10-15# trout go through. i have always seen trout every day. but just can't seem to catch them. i've used swidish pimple (big,small, gold, silver, silver with bumps) size 8 treble hook hook in the back of minny but to no evail. i've done this on my tip up to. but to no evail. i have to tip up which has 40# green nylon or braided line. the tip up are polar tip up it has a two bar with a flag that goes under a T like joby which runs into the the water with a spool at the end. i don't recall the name of so i figure i'll just discribe. and the other one is a shamano light up one. that lights up. it looks like a fish. the flag goes onto sprial round thing inwhich you can set for diffent fish,minny's when the fish takes the bait the sprial will sprial up which the will go off and the round thing still sprials. there is three levels that can be set the thrid being the longest to the flag off. in which the fish has to take more line out. i hopethis will help. i've different heights out but to no evail. i can only ice fish until march 9th because on march 11th i will be shipping out to San Diego Cal. for boot camp so i hopeing to have a flag up before then. i'm out there every day like i've stated eatler.
zach Re: hunter (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 23:12:30 02/06/2002

try just plain hook on tip up, hook just behind dorsal fin not to deep to hit spine. also use 2-3" minnows on tip ups.
jickeyJack Re: hunter (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 13:11:53 02/08/2002

Try biting or cutting the tail off of the minnow before you drop it down there. Another good deal is to slide a plastic bead on the line right above the hook to mimick a salmon egg, which some trout seem to fancy.