Tip Area Has Moved! click here.

ICESHANTY.COM - Tipup Tips

<----BACK         HOME

Need method for smelt

Author Subject: Need method for smelt
Steve Posted At 12:32:31 02/02/2002
Have always used live suckers or shiners for pike. Remember a method to hook dead smelt but am not completely sure how to do it for dead bait. Also hear a lot about bottom fishing with dead smelt for pike. Can anyone enlighten me? Would greatly appreciate it.
Steve Re: Need method for smelt (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 19:47:26 02/02/2002

Use a treble hook, medium sized, and place one hook beneath the dorsal fin area. Make sure you get it thru a thick section, since dead smelt tend to "rip".

Using a tip-up, let the smelt get down to the bottom. then bring it up about 1 foot to 2 feet from the bottom.

Strange as it seems, pike can not resist a dead smelt, probably due to the smell of the smelt.

Good Luck,
Steve
Repo Re: Need method for smelt (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 20:55:57 02/02/2002

the best method i have found out there is the Flagel Bait System-it uses a stanless steel prong you insert into the smelt to hold it horizontal to give it a better look to the fish-but unlike the swedish hooks which i have used which work also but not much hooking ability-this system uses a treble hook-i am from central WI and use smelt quite regularly for pike-the guys name that makes these is Tom Scheier from Markesan,WI-he owns a bait store-phone number availiable upon request-drop me an E-mail [email protected]
JP Re: Need method for smelt (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 11:52:42 02/04/2002

They float, so you need them to hang perfectly horizontal no matter where you position them in relation to the bottom.

Add a finishing nail into the smelt's vent.

I usually push the eye of a treble hook up through the belly and out through the dorsal area. Clip on the leader.

Smelt hangs straight, sinks like a rock, and requires no additional shot to get/keep it down. TRy this on a wind-activated tip-up and see what happens!
icefihingmajor Re: Need method for smelt (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 22:56:32 02/08/2002

The best thing ive found is to buy smelt, take it home, put it in a plastic baggy along with some liquid smoke and let it freeze for a couple days for the smell to be sucked into it. I found this after i was eating a jerky syick and dropped it down the hole, and the next day TIP UP!!!!!! AND THE nORTHERN HAD THE JEKY ACTUALLY IN ITS MOUTH SO I DECIDED TO TRY THE LIQUID SMOKE and ever since that ive had really good luck with catching northerns