Tip Area Has Moved! click here.

ICESHANTY.COM - Tipup Tips

<----BACK         HOME

BIG PIKE UNDER TIP UPS

Author Subject: BIG PIKE UNDER TIP UPS
zach dooley Posted At 16:33:33 11/21/2001
I am 14 years of age and would like to know how and when to set the hook on a northern and any other advice you have for a begining northern fanatic, Thanks
Pike Buster Re: BIG PIKE UNDER TIP UPS (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 18:28:08 11/28/2001

Hey Zach;

If you're catching to keep one for the cook, let 'em take it until he stops. Then, all you have to do is tighten up your line.
I use 17# accustrand wire leaders and #8 treble hooks.
I use 5"-6" shiners or suckers for bait.
Sometimes they'll run like they're not going to stop.
In that case, "stop" them gently when they slow down and you'll have them hooked.

tight lines, aye
RYAN STROMMEN Re: BIG PIKE UNDER TIP UPS (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 11:20:31 12/11/2001

HEY Zach when your flag is tripped let them run and if they keep running gently stop them by putting pressure on the line and when you feel them give them a slight jerk not to hard that it will come out of there mouth but good enogh to hook them. your probly thnking well how hard do i set the hook well i can only tell you that it will come with practice and flags that fly just remember dont jerk it out of there moth just hard enough to hook them remember they already have the minnow in there mouth. good luck! RYAN
Stacy Chupailo Re: BIG PIKE UNDER TIP UPS (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 20:13:07 12/13/2001

Zach just like Ryan said.I also think the more flags the more practice.I always try and wait for them to make their secound run and by that time they most always have it deep in their mouth.It just depends on the fish.I've seen some fish trip the flag and sit their and have some go like mad.I like to set my tip ups about a foot off bottom and always run a heavy mono leader around 20lb.You have to be careful when they get to the hole and shake their head its not like wire leaders but I think you'll have more flags with mono.All the old die hards I fish with all used wire for years and now most use mono now.I also put the juice on the minnows [Dr.Juice]it sometimes is the trick and sometimes not.I hoped some of this helps.
chris Larmore heres the way to go (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 15:31:26 12/18/2001

Ice fishing is the best around. The most important thing when you are tip upping for pike is that you dont set the hook to early. I have never had a pike spit the hook even after 3+ minutes of free lining. I would reccomend at least a 30 second count after you get to the tip up. Dont jerk hard automatically but instead, slowly pull the line up and wait until you feel pressure until you make the large hookset. remember not to horse the fish as he gets near the hole as this is an easy way to loose them
good luck
tight lines,
cdl
Mark Barlow Re: BIG PIKE UNDER TIP UPS (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 14:12:13 12/23/2001

This is my second year icefishing and my first year to fish for pike.I don't know much about fishing for pike ,but a # 6 hook seems very small.What am I missing here?
kevin Re: BIG PIKE UNDER TIP UPS (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 17:32:14 01/27/2002

zach I had the same problem all you have to do is when you tip up tips. walk over to it don't run or else you'll scare him. watch your line if he is taking a short fast run leave it alone. after that he will stop and turn the bait around, then will take a second run but won't be as fast. on the second run nail him.

well go luck and tight lines to ya.

kevin