The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Jack trap issue  (Read 5148 times)

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Jack trap issue
« Reply #30 on: Jan 12, 2009, 02:08 PM »
This is correct that is why i asked the question as to the jack traps.  When the winds were blowing 30 i seemed to be getting wind flags here and there even if they were set correctly as to the wind.

Impossible for them to windflag if you set them so the wind is blowing onto the tripper and I don't care if we are talking JT's, Superiors, Allagash, etc.

Right on 3car, Superiors are SUPERIOR! ;D

Offline Swampbucks1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Jan 12, 2009, 02:12 PM »
I got 242 sea smelts dead from saturday, maybe we can revive a few?

That's sweet PIKE/Togue bait right there.  Noth'in betta then dead'a for those two species....

Offline EmeraldShiner

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live on for those that have been lost.
« Reply #32 on: Jan 12, 2009, 02:17 PM »
   MEhunter; I don't understand how you could possibly be getting wind flags on a Jack Trap unless on a super windy day you untintentionally orient the trap crosswind to a super high wind with the open end of the trip mechanism in the crosswind on the downwind side, maybe you have not taken into consideration the effects of extremely high wind and adjusted your orientation of the trap to the wind. I don't care what brand of trap you use, if you don't  take this common sense approach to orienting traps in high wind your'e gonna get wind flags period. It is truly disgusting to see some of the posts slamming a true Maine Sportmsman who single handedly develped the best trap on the market, heavy, fine craftsmanship, better than the rest in my view by far! I have a suggestion, let's put it to the test with Team Alaska, talk about harsh conditions! What are you guys pineing over? He does not do the LL Bean guarantee, as a Maine small businessman he can't. By the way did any of you product complainers see the article about small business/manufacturers that must pay a 12% extra tax to some federal/government fish and wildlife conservation beurocracy if they are producing a product such as tackle that catches fish? This was on a post last year I believe, would help to revisit/ repost it, maybe Builditrite can help. Let's not trash those folks who have the longest and most dedicated experience to the sport we all love. In the ice fishing world of Maine, Timmy Jackson is a true legand, let's not rip him apart here on Team Maine, let's give him the respect he deserves! :icefish:

Offline MEhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Jan 12, 2009, 02:17 PM »
So they do work as well on lakers?  We killed the pike on them last year (frist time trying them) but we didn't do anything with the lakers on them.  I will try it again though.  There all bagged up and frozen for bait.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did so. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Offline MEhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Jan 12, 2009, 02:25 PM »
Might be that i am not taking the high winds to credit.  The first few days when it was blowing hard, real hard where i was i just noticed i was getting the wind flags, i moved the traps in the direction i felt was correct and watched the trap and it seemed like the flag was vibrating back and forth quite a bit and it caused it to trip as i was watching it.  I will re-evaluate my posistioning next time however. 
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did so. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Offline Swampbucks1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Jan 12, 2009, 02:33 PM »
So they do work as well on lakers?  We killed the pike on them last year (frist time trying them) but we didn't do anything with the lakers on them.  I will try it again though.  There all bagged up and frozen for bait.

Yip, I learned from some of the guys right on here and it's deadly on Moosehead!

Offline Litchfield Fisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Jan 12, 2009, 02:34 PM »
Might be that i am not taking the high winds to credit.  The first few days when it was blowing hard, real hard where i was i just noticed i was getting the wind flags, i moved the traps in the direction i felt was correct and watched the trap and it seemed like the flag was vibrating back and forth quite a bit and it caused it to trip as i was watching it.  I will re-evaluate my posistioning next time however. 
are you cleaning the slush from around your holes when setting your traps?  I always do but have noticed many people on the lakes setting their traps on top of the frozen slush piles around the holes and I would think that the traps would vibrate and move on top of the slush worse resulting in wind flags compared to setting it in a slot cleaned out for the trap in between the slush piles
Its not a passion its an obsession

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Jan 12, 2009, 03:21 PM »
maybe you need to bend the trip wire a little  :tipup:

M.P.H.C. freedomfighter #000004

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #38 on: Jan 12, 2009, 03:48 PM »
If you don't want any wind flags then go on a calm day. Every trap has a problem now and then. One good thing about a wind flag is that it gets your heart pumping. I'm happy with what I have for trap and that's all that counts. ;D
Steve

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #39 on: Jan 12, 2009, 03:52 PM »

I set them up like this in the wind .  ( sorry a quick sketch)

Offline EmeraldShiner

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live on for those that have been lost.
« Reply #40 on: Jan 12, 2009, 03:59 PM »
I set them up like this in the wind .  ( sorry a quick sketch)

(Image removed from quote.)
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Gee, Gasblaster, now there is some common sense, let me guess. maybe you work in the trades and have to figure out stuff every day that makes common sense, great illustration, should put this whole thing to rest! :whistle: :whistle:

Offline fiddlehead322

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Night time is the right time!
« Reply #41 on: Jan 12, 2009, 04:12 PM »
 :clap: :clap: :clap:
Looking forward to some "crappie" nights!

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Jan 12, 2009, 04:13 PM »
  MEhunter; I don't understand how you could possibly be getting wind flags on a Jack Trap unless on a super windy day you untintentionally orient the trap crosswind to a super high wind with the open end of the trip mechanism in the crosswind on the downwind side, maybe you have not taken into consideration the effects of extremely high wind and adjusted your orientation of the trap to the wind. I don't care what brand of trap you use, if you don't  take this common sense approach to orienting traps in high wind your'e gonna get wind flags period. It is truly disgusting to see some of the posts slamming a true Maine Sportmsman who single handedly develped the best trap on the market, heavy, fine craftsmanship, better than the rest in my view by far! I have a suggestion, let's put it to the test with Team Alaska, talk about harsh conditions! What are you guys pineing over? He does not do the LL Bean guarantee, as a Maine small businessman he can't. By the way did any of you product complainers see the article about small business/manufacturers that must pay a 12% extra tax to some federal/government fish and wildlife conservation beurocracy if they are producing a product such as tackle that catches fish? This was on a post last year I believe, would help to revisit/ repost it, maybe Builditrite can help. Let's not trash those folks who have the longest and most dedicated experience to the sport we all love. In the ice fishing world of Maine, Timmy Jackson is a true legand, let's not rip him apart here on Team Maine, let's give him the respect he deserves! :icefish:

While I agree with some things you have mention here, I did see a statement on his (Tim's) web site that said he has never had a trap returned. If you don't allow people to bring back something that they are un-happy with, that is not a fair statement to make. He should at least try to work with the people who are upset with his product.

Offline SilverSides

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day fishing is better than any day at work!
« Reply #43 on: Jan 12, 2009, 04:24 PM »
I dont get wind flags with my regular Jack traps, BUT my BIG BOBS are a different story. If the wind is blowing hard I get wind flags no matter how they are turned with the flag spring fully extended. Shortening up the flag 3 or 4 inches cures the problem. It's a bummer tho' when the flag is only 4 1/2 feet high when tripped ;D

Offline rubline

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Jan 12, 2009, 04:33 PM »
  Im a amature here but could bait size have any effect?

Offline oletimer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Jan 12, 2009, 04:37 PM »
I have a set made by a company that was from albany,N.Y. with the same trip wire set up. Bought in the eighty's, company is now long gone. They are always tripping in the wind. My high flags though are wind impervious and always go off. Have had those for over thirty years. Seems the push off trip works better for wind than the slip off type.

Offline wickedgoodatv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Jan 12, 2009, 04:59 PM »
I have owned and tried most style traps that I could find. 

I like my jacks the best. 

Maybe it is the colored line, colored traps and matching flags. Dunno, just do.  I cannot think of a legit reason as to why I would need to return a jack trap that I have bought.  They don't send out defective traps.  Traps aint rocket science, what can go wrong?

I have never ever had a wind trip.  It is always some huge friggin fish that tapped my bait, set off my flag and dropped the bait unscathed.  :tipup:

My opinion is neither copyrighted nor trademarked, and it's price competitive. If you like, I'll trade for one of yours.

Offline SALMON SLAYER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Jan 12, 2009, 05:41 PM »
wouldnt say I never had a wind flag with my Jack Traps but I cant recall of any.. usually hit by a fish or just my own fault setting up. have no fault with the JT did have issues with the HL after they had a few years on them.

Offline MEhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Jan 12, 2009, 05:52 PM »
mine are the big bobs as well.  i never had this problem with my other jack traps either.

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #49 on: Jan 12, 2009, 05:57 PM »
I have never had a wind flag with my Jacks. It is almost impossible  ??? I've seen plenty of guys who use Heritage traps who have their fair share of wind flags......

Using big bait is another story on the Jacks. All you have to do is shorten the flag when you set it and the flag wont trip as easily with a big bait on there.

Offline smeltslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New Vineyard,Me
« Reply #50 on: Jan 12, 2009, 05:58 PM »
jackcrap traps,jackcrap traps,jackcrap traps,jackcrap traps,jackcrap traps,  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline herbc69

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Jan 12, 2009, 06:03 PM »
jackcrap traps,jackcrap traps,jackcrap traps,jackcrap traps,jackcrap traps,  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
what do you buy china made traps, i like to support the local economy what we have left of it that includes bait buying ;D

Offline oldtown42

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Jan 12, 2009, 06:06 PM »

Okay, we get it. You don't like them. Don't buy them then. Seems like there is always someone who is unhappy. No need to be a jerk.

Offline ICEMAN-73

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Jan 12, 2009, 06:07 PM »
I don't own any jack traps but do have some lifetime traps that I got from Dags 25 years ago, same trap design just not such fancy wood, 5 years I built 15 traps same design never had a wind flag with any of them, the way their designed I don't see how you could? the metal piece above the tripper holds the spring in place!
Never Give Up!

Offline ADK NH GUY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Jan 12, 2009, 06:15 PM »
I have the Big Bobs and have had them for 3 years and never had a wind flag yet.  Just make sure you turn them into the wind.  In fact, I fished Piseco Lake New Years Eve and the winds were whippin down the lake 50MPH, couldn't even see the shanty from my 1st tip up and I didn't have a wind flag all day.  Caught 4 Lakers that day.

A mans Shanty is his Castle

Offline herbc69

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Jan 12, 2009, 06:18 PM »
Will hasnt told us what he uses for traps i think its all a matter of whether someone bought them for you ill take free any day of the week

Offline smeltslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New Vineyard,Me
« Reply #56 on: Jan 12, 2009, 06:23 PM »
Okay, we get it. You don't like them. Don't buy them then. Seems like there is always someone who is unhappy. No need to be a jerk.
;D ;D ;D

Offline smeltslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New Vineyard,Me
« Reply #57 on: Jan 12, 2009, 06:25 PM »
Will hasnt told us what he uses for traps i think its all a matter of whether someone bought them for you ill take free any day of the week
I got just about every trap but jackcrap traps. Got well over 100 traps. Local,foriegn,ect. Anything but jackcrap trap for me.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline No Time To_Fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Jan 12, 2009, 06:27 PM »
I got just about every trap but jackcrap traps. Got well over 100 traps. Local,foriegn,ect. Anything but jackcrap trap for me.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I'm sure you've answered this before, but I haven't seen it so I'll ask..... where did the JackTrap dislike come from that you are so adamantly against them? Just curious....

Offline herbc69

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Jan 12, 2009, 06:28 PM »
ive got some traps that my father got as a kid those will give you some wind flags also have thompsons and mooseheads

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.