The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Jack trap issue  (Read 5150 times)

Offline MEhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Jack trap issue
« on: Jan 12, 2009, 10:42 AM »
Have any of you that fish with jack traps ever had the problem with high winds and wind flags.  It seems that when the wind blows really hard (which the have been this year) the flags get vibrated off the ring.  Anyone else have this problem?
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did so. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Jack trap issue
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2009, 10:45 AM »
Have any of you that fish with jack traps ever had the problem with high winds and wind flags.  It seems that when the wind blows really hard (which the have been this year) the flags get vibrated off the ring.  Anyone else have this problem?

When its super windy, turn your trap so the wind is blowing onto the mechinism so it can't slide off the hook, problem solved. :tipup:

Offline herbc69

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2009, 10:54 AM »
knock on wood ive had my traps for 6 years and never had a wind flag

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2009, 10:56 AM »
When its super windy, turn your trap so the wind is blowing onto the mechinism so it can't slide off the hook, problem solved. :tipup:
i second that plus put the trap against the side of the hole too so it wont slide and set it off  :tipup:

M.P.H.C. freedomfighter #000004

Offline smeltslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New Vineyard,Me
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2009, 10:57 AM »
One more issue with the jackcrap trap.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2009, 10:59 AM »
One more issue with the jackcrap trap.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
it's user error not a trap error  :unsure:

Offline smeltslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New Vineyard,Me
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2009, 11:00 AM »
it's user error not a trap error  :unsure:
Seen it more then once with the jackcrapo trap.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline FishinAddiction

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Is A Sport, That Makes Me An Athlete
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2009, 11:02 AM »
Just slide the flag down a touch more, then hook the flag on. If that does not work than talk to Jack Trap about them. I usually leave them snugged a little and never get wind flags.

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2009, 11:03 AM »
Seen it more then once with the jackcrapo trap.  ;D ;D ;D ;D
so what's your point.......still user error :whistle:.     i've never had it happen ;)2

Offline Danny Boy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pêcheur d'Esox
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2009, 11:06 AM »
Just slide the flag down a touch more, then hook the flag on. If that does not work than talk to Jack Trap about them. I usually leave them snugged a little and never get wind flags.
This has been working for me too.  It will definitely put a little more resistance on the reel before it trips, but I think it's negligible.  Good luck.

Offline MEhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2009, 11:18 AM »
Thanks for the help, makes sense about pulling less flag out. 
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did so. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Offline aziscohosaddict

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2009, 11:24 AM »

[/quote] good luck talking to him, he doesn't like to hear when his products don't work as he states they should.

Offline aziscohosaddict

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2009, 12:21 PM »
already have, i got a pack basket from him for xmas last year and it broke after one year of use. i took it back and he told me i had been sitting on it, why i would sit on a pack basket i dont no but he was a total jerk to me and i will never buy another thing from him again.

Offline hardwatergrampa

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 12, 2009, 12:45 PM »
support the little guy that's what made this country what it use to be, and that's what its gonna take to get her back on her feet again made in the USA
in god we trust

Offline pikehater

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 12, 2009, 12:47 PM »
I've never had a wind flag ever with mine, my friends who use the heritage traps however.........
“Many men fish all their lives without ever realizing that it is not fish they are after.”

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 12, 2009, 12:55 PM »
I've never had a wind flag ever with mine, my friends who use the heritage traps however.........

I don't use them but my wife has a set and others I fish with do as well.  I can honestly say I've never seen one wind flag.  Common sense tells you that if its blowing 50 you should set them into the wind.... never had to shorten up the flag either.... don't know boyz :tipup:

Will - hows my set of Superiors coming along ??? ;D

Offline MEhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 12, 2009, 01:01 PM »
Setting them up into the wind hasn't helped.

Offline smeltslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New Vineyard,Me
« Reply #17 on: Jan 12, 2009, 01:05 PM »
I don't use them but my wife has a set and others I fish with do as well.  I can honestly say I've never seen one wind flag.  Common sense tells you that if its blowing 50 you should set them into the wind.... never had to shorten up the flag either.... don't know boyz :tipup:

Looked at them the other day, dont know what they are worth.  ??? ???  ;D ;D I'll get a pic in the next few days and ship it to you.  ;)

Offline Swampbucks1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 12, 2009, 01:09 PM »
Setting them up into the wind hasn't helped.

I think you took that to literal...

Make sure the open end of your upper trigger is facing INTO the wind.   :o

If your still running into this problem, me thinks maybe you should give up ice fishing. :P

B/c 99.989999% of those who have them, don't seem to have this problem. ;D

Offline _FLAG_

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Upper Enchanted
« Reply #19 on: Jan 12, 2009, 01:13 PM »
I have the same problem with just one of my five..... I just shorten the flag when setting up in the morning.

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 12, 2009, 01:16 PM »
I have neaver had wind flag with my Heritage. You need to know how to set up your traps so that doesn't happen no matter what trap you have.

Offline MEhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 12, 2009, 01:20 PM »
Woods Wise you have to file down the tip of the piece that holds the flag down.  A lot of them wont trip if you don't do it.  Some of them will but most i have seen people use end up having to file them down then they work fine.

Offline _FLAG_

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Upper Enchanted
« Reply #22 on: Jan 12, 2009, 01:35 PM »

You need to grow some thicker skin, rookie.. :-*.. :nono:

And to just point out the obvious:  "You shouldnt get a wind flag with any trap if you set it the right way i don't care how windy it is."

Your right, so it seems you answered your own question and YOUR obviously not doing it right.  :laugh: ;)
:clap: :roflmao: :clap: :roflmao:

Offline MEhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 12, 2009, 01:38 PM »
This is correct that is why i asked the question as to the jack traps.  When the winds were blowing 30 i seemed to be getting wind flags here and there even if they were set correctly as to the wind.

Offline Swampbucks1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 12, 2009, 01:44 PM »
This is correct that is why i asked the question as to the jack traps.  When the winds were blowing 30 i seemed to be getting wind flags here and there even if they were set correctly as to the wind.

I'm headed up to Eagle Lake this weekend.  If I get a wind flag, that's the place it's gonna be. ;D

Offline MEhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 12, 2009, 01:48 PM »
And if i continue to get them will you come set my traps for me?

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #26 on: Jan 12, 2009, 01:48 PM »
40 mph winds last year at moosehead and not one windflag with my jacks.

Offline Swampbucks1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 12, 2009, 01:58 PM »
And if i continue to get them will you come set my traps for me?

Get me 10-dozen sea smelt (alive) (BY WED 11PM) and then we'll talk about a (learning session) if you continue to struggle with wind flags. :whistle:

Let's fish your honey hole, you can show me where that is too.  ;D

Offline THREECAR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 12, 2009, 02:00 PM »
[/quote]

Ah, Superiors. Now there's a good trap right there!!!  ;D
He suggested the pike were probably placed by an angler dissatisfied with, or simply not up to, the challenges of fishing for trout or salmon.”

Offline MEhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 12, 2009, 02:05 PM »
I got 242 sea smelts dead from saturday, maybe we can revive a few?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.