The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: good place to introduce my 4 year old girl to fishing in the Bangor area  (Read 543 times)

Offline togueking

• IceShanty Rookie
Hello all,

I have just moved to Bangor, and was hoping that some members would share some good lakes/ponds in the area that would be appropriate to get a little girl hooked on fishing. Doesn't have to have game fish. Bass, pickerel, perch, crappie, etc. would be great. Thanks.

Offline Hoodoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
Hello all,

I have just moved to Bangor, and was hoping that some members would share some good lakes/ponds in the area that would be appropriate to get a little girl hooked on fishing. Doesn't have to have game fish. Bass, pickerel, perch, crappie, etc. would be great. Thanks.
  I think Pushaw lake would be a good place I never fished it in the winter   but summer is awesome, lots of SM bass 
I live with fear everyday and sometimes she lets me go fishing

Offline togueking

• IceShanty Rookie
Hey Hoodoo. I heard that Pushaw is very dicey as far as driving on it in the winter?? A lot of trucks go through from what I hear. Would ice fishing from the landing be productive in your opinion?? I'd probably fish the south boat landing. Maybe someone knows of a safe place to drive on?? I don't have a wheeler or sled. Thanks.

Offline Corso

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Brewer Lake  ;)

Offline me0nat0

• Team IceShanty Regular
Pickeral Pond out on stud mill is overflowing with stocked fish, including lots of broodstock.  Kids only, so you'd have to do more coaching than fishing, but that's an almost guaranteed spot to have some good action.  No driving on there, but its so small you wouldn't have to. 

Brewer lake is also pretty good like Corso said; went last week and caught a lot of 9" salmon that were fresh off the truck last october, and a few white perch to mix it up.

I think most through-ice incidents at Pushaw are more due to people not using good sense out there; it freezes quick and thaws quick, but mid-season its as safe as anywhere else.  i wouldn't reccomend going on too many cross-lake joyrides, but otherwise its fine.
I live my life by one basic tenet: big fish eat little fish.

Offline Hoodoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
Hey Hoodoo. I heard that Pushaw is very dicey as far as driving on it in the winter?? A lot of trucks go through from what I hear. Would ice fishing from the landing be productive in your opinion?? I'd probably fish the south boat landing. Maybe someone knows of a safe place to drive on?? I don't have a wheeler or sled. Thanks.
  Not sure on the ice cond we always found the fishing better at the NW end
I live with fear everyday and sometimes she lets me go fishing

Offline milfordchief

• IceShanty Rookie
All good tried and true spots.  Brewer Lake is safe, drove on it today (01-11-09), stand a chance of a nice salmon or brown in addition to perch and pickerel.  For a sure bet for kids you can't beat Pushaw.  About anywhere you drop a line you'll catch something.  Pickeral Pond is nice, but the longer you wait, the slower the fishing gets, especially after yesterdays Derby.  Good luck!

Offline togueking

• IceShanty Rookie
Thank you for your responses. I think I'll give Pushaw a try soon. Anyone caught any pike out of there lately?

Offline Countyiceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Try Little Pushaw too...great pickerel pond...it's where I learned to icefish and first startrd going with my Dad.
Whenever someone caught a fish...my Uncle David always shouted..."THROW IT BACK TO IT"S MOTHER!!"  I can hear that echoing across the frozen lake now!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.