The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Mr Buddy Heater  (Read 1127 times)

Offline Fatcat

• Team IceShanty Regular
Mr Buddy Heater
« on: Jan 11, 2009, 05:26 AM »
I have a Mr Buddy Heater that the pilot wont stay lit. It looks like the flame is yellow and larger or taller instead of the smaller blue flame it usually has. blue. Anyone have this problem? It looks like there is no adjustment . It worked great one day and this happened the next. Is there a way to clean the pilot without taking the thing apart or to a shop?
Maine . 200lb Bucks & 6lb Brookies  !!!!!

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: Mr Buddy Heater
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2009, 07:19 AM »
try blowing the piolot lite hole with compressed air  sounds like some dust  blocking one of the lower holes
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline livinbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2009, 07:25 AM »
use a pin to clean it out but if you only used it once it shouldnt be blocked ???

Offline greenhorn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2009, 07:41 AM »
I have a Mr.Heater Workes very good. Maybe your thermo coupler is the problem,due to the pilot not staying lit.You can get them at home depot or lowes.Just a thought

Offline Sir Landsalot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2009, 07:43 AM »
I had the same problem after I hooked mine up to a 20 lb tank, and I had to send it back.  They replaced it and said to use a filter on any tank but the disposables.  I still have trouble in cold weather, but it works great in the summertime    ;D

Offline MikeMunn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2009, 08:36 AM »
try blowing the piolot lite hole with compressed air  sounds like some dust  blocking one of the lower holes
This is what I'd do as well.  I've had mine for 4 years now, and never a problem.

Offline ICEMAN-73

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2009, 10:54 AM »
I got one for Christmas 2 years ago, had nothing but trouble with it.  I brought the first one back and got another, same thing junk! They just constantly go out, can't keep them lit, the colder it is the worse they are. I went back to my original mr heater the kind that attatches to the top of a 20# tank no problems allways lights and stays lit and not allways changing tanks.
Never Give Up!

Offline The TK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2009, 11:38 AM »
I had the same problem after I hooked mine up to a 20 lb tank, and I had to send it back.  They replaced it and said to use a filter on any tank but the disposables.  I still have trouble in cold weather, but it works great in the summertime    ;D

summertime? haha

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2009, 11:40 AM »
wow  I have 3 of the big ones and one of the small ones  and never ever had a problem!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Scott Wright

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Maine member since 2003
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2009, 11:42 AM »
I LOVE mine!!!

I'm surprised to hear so many have had problems... are you making sure to hold the pilot button down for 20-30 seconds before hitting the ignition button? I know this makes a difference in mine..
Scott Wright

Offline flykingbs11

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2009, 06:40 PM »
i love my buddy heater, wont go fishing without it  :tipup: :thumbsup:

Offline wardens worry

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing at the bad omen
« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 2009, 07:41 PM »
Another thing to think about is those types of heaters have a low o2 shut off. Maybe your not getting enough oxygen

WW
FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN

Offline PIE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 11, 2009, 07:48 PM »
I got a big buddy with a 2o#er and in-line filter, i used it for for 8 hours straight in below zero weather today. worked flawlessly.

Offline windflag77

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I Live for Ice Fishing
« Reply #13 on: Jan 11, 2009, 08:18 PM »
i just hooked mine up to a 20 pounder for the first time yesterday, worked great. I was going through too many of the 1 pound bottles so why not. I have had mine for 3 years now and can't believe how well it works.
FLAAAAG!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Snowfun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag!!!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 11, 2009, 08:34 PM »
I got one for Christmas 2 years ago, had nothing but trouble with it.  I brought the first one back and got another, same thing junk! They just constantly go out, can't keep them lit, the colder it is the worse they are. I went back to my original mr heater the kind that attatches to the top of a 20# tank no problems allways lights and stays lit and not allways changing tanks.
Went through the same thing this year. New heater out of the box. killed 2 1# cans in 3 hours never even took the chill out of the air on high. Went back to the mr heater, showerhead style... Nice and toasty in the shanty now...
Feeding birds, one pike at a time...

Offline ICEMAN-73

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 11, 2009, 08:40 PM »
I must have bought 2 bad ones,I've cleaned the tip with a Qtip and alcohol, hold the pilot button down for 1 minute, blown the lines out with compressed air, switched to a 20# tank and now the pilot wont even stay lit for more than 20 seconds! And yes the tanks are full and co2 sensor should not be an issue, plenty of fresh air in my garage.
Never Give Up!

Offline Fatcat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 12, 2009, 09:53 AM »
Thanks Guys for all the info. I actually have two and this is the first problem ive had with them. I think that maybe the piolt hole may be dirty of partially blocked after reading the posts. Gonna give it one more try.
Maine . 200lb Bucks & 6lb Brookies  !!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.