Author Topic: Your Homemade Sled/Pictures  (Read 78153 times)

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
Your Homemade Sled/Pictures
« on: Feb 11, 2004, 12:33 AM »
Hey everyone, when I get my sled back from my brother, I'll get a good pic and post it.  There is a thread on the PA General page on this subject and it gave me the idea to start this thread.  Homemade sleds and the ingenuity in making them fascinates me.  I love to read and hear about your ideas and how you all tote your gear around, and homemade sleds are some of the most fun things to make.  People are so proud of their work, it's great.  So, please post a pic of your sled if you can and share with us why you like it, how you made it, and a picture.  I really enjoy seeing everyones work on the ice, so let's see it here!
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Your Homemade Sled/Pictures
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2004, 06:57 AM »
OK, I'll post the first pic.  Not a good one so I'll have to get my sled back and take some detailed close up pics.  This pic was last year, hence the extra pounds around my waistline and face, LOL.

I took a kids sled, cut off the lip that goes around it (making the sled narrower so it could fit into a vehicle easier).  Then, bolted a heavy duty Rubbermaid storage box to the middle of the sled (box is sold by Walmart for about $30).  I made rod holders made out of PVC pipe and bolted 5 of them to the inside of the box lid.  I also bolted 2 brackets that fold down out of the way when not in use to the top of the box lid to hold my auger in place.  In addition to that, I permanently bolted a bungie cord in place to go over the box and secure the auger when going down hills etc.  On the front of the box, I installed a rod holder made by Berkeley.  I have room to put set things down behind the box at the back of the sled, and also room in the front of the sled.  I installed handles on the top of the box for loading and carrying the sled.  And lastly, I took a heavy duty rope and replaced the one that came with the sled (easier to grab and hold) and secured it with hose clamps.

I had a blast making it and was pretty proud of my accomplishment.  It is roomy inside to hold all my rods, tackle, flasher and anything else that I care to bring along.  OK folks, let's see or hear what you use!
Kevin Wilson

Offline roverowner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The sweet smell of success!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2004, 09:19 AM »
Here’s the deal with my sled.  I built a box 25”x44” with 8” deep sides.  This is just wide enough to fit two 5 gallon buckets.  These get placed in the front of the sled with a 2x4 behind to act as a cross brace and to keep the buckets from sliding around.  You could use 2x2’s to save weight, but I got lazy.  In the middle part of the sled I’ve got a plastic hinged box about 22x16 and my buddy heater fits right along side it.  I built a little compartment out of 2x4’s to hold the radio and keep it from sliding around.  The back part of the sled is where the auger goes.  I notched the box to hold it across and it’s worked out well.  This whole contraption is mounted on old downhill skis.  I put  6 inch long pieces of 2x4 set on edge as a spacer between the skis and box to keep it from dragging in heavy snow.  I’ve had it in 12 inches of snow and it stays on top very well.  I attached a couple climber type snap links on eye bolts at the back of the sled to attach my Shappel dx3000 to for when I pull both out on the ice.  The combo pulls much easier than loading up the shanty and trying to tug that.  On the outside of the box I attached 4 broom holders to act as rod holders.  These are mounted vertically to the front of the sled, but I may move them to the sides to keep them from getting tangled in the tow rope.  I painted it bright yellow so that hopefully it will be more visible to the snowmobiles that like to buzz ice fishermen.  All in all it took about 3 hours and the cost was $0 since I had the spare material laying around.  I think a 4x8 sheet of plywood, an 8 foot 2x4, some screws and a tube of liquid nails is all that you’d need.  I guess weight is about 30lbs.  It’s much lighter than my shanty, in any event.  The best part is that now I can go fishing, and  if I’m not marking fish on the Vexilar, I snap my pole back in to the holder and move.  No more struggling with the auger, putting the ice dipper back in the bucket , putting the rod in the bucket, putting the fish in the bucket, knocking the snow off my mittens, and then  trying to trudge trough the slush with my auger in 1 hand, bucket in the other hand, and Vexilar in the other.  I even leave the bucket seat right in the sled now so I’m highly mobile!

Offline Sub Zero

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Ice?
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2004, 09:27 AM »
Hey Kevin-Great Idea, I never thought of the large tote box idea. I have a big old cooler that doesn't work anymore and I might borrow your idea. See Ya! :)
People think we're crazy but we know better!

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2004, 06:41 AM »
I guess not many people are proud of their work done on their sleds like I thought  :(
Kevin Wilson

Offline buzzbomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2004, 09:11 AM »
     Salvaged plywood and screws. 2 piano hinges, a pair of old skis, and some 2x6 blocks to give it some clearance.  I made a kick sled out of tubular aluminum and kid's downhill skis and a plastic chair, but haven't finished that roll of film yet.
The problem with quotes on the internet is that they're difficult to prove.
Abraham Lincoln, 1866

maine-ly backward

« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2004, 09:21 AM »
Buzzbomb, I like your rig. Gave up on shantys a long time ago because I don't like the bother they entail. Would still like to have something to cut the wind though. You must have to anchor the back side to keep it from blowing down? What are the dimensions? Anything you've learned from yours that you would change if you built another?

Offline buzzbomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2004, 12:26 PM »
I'm not sure of exact dimensions but it's about 5' tall.  It worked out as well as it could, I don't think I'd change anything. I was considering jury-rigging some sort of canvas front for it but never bothered.  I haven't had it blow away yet, I just pile my gear up on the inside and it holds pretty good against the wind.  The only downside is that it's not a shanty!  If I can have my back to the wind and face the sun it's fine, but somedays the wind either blows from the wrong direction or the sun just isn't shining.  It's easy to pull, and I can pile all my gear on top and bungee it down.  I copied the basic design from one a neighbor had made of steel siding that he pulled with his ski-doo.  When I saw that plywood for free I got inspired!
The problem with quotes on the internet is that they're difficult to prove.
Abraham Lincoln, 1866

raleigh

« Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 2004, 12:44 PM »
I think this is a great post. I have been using a sled that looks like Fat Boys yellow one in the pic. But i have found it is to unstable to carry a power auger,two buckets and all the misc. stuff. I have been trying to build somthing a little more sturdy thay will hold all that stuff with little success. Thanks for putting this post up. I am sure it will give me a lot of great ideas.

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #9 on: Feb 12, 2004, 12:52 PM »
Here is one I built this year. I love it!..It's a little heavy to load in the truck, but I can still do it by myself. I can also carry ALL my gear without stuff falling out, and it pulls like a breeze.

raleigh

« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2004, 01:10 PM »
 I found a web site that tells you how to build a sled. It is not pratical for me but, But i just thowght you guys would like to see it. http://www.practicalsportsman.org/members/pdfs/M1996V4N1/M1996V4N1P19.pdf

Offline tinboat

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice fishing rules!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 13, 2004, 09:21 PM »
Hey Raleigh,
That is a good link; I've been looking for plans for something that will fit in the trunk of my car. Thanks!    ;)
Gregg

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 13, 2004, 09:44 PM »
Esox, that is one cool sled 8)
Kevin Wilson

Offline Colorado_Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • :-)Reader Beware(-:
« Reply #13 on: Feb 14, 2004, 01:48 AM »
Nice pictures guys,

Great idea material for my sled project.

Esox, how long are the skis on your sled and could you venture
a guess as to the sleds's weight without equipment?

Thanks

"Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job." ~Paul Schullery

Offline Colorado_Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 14, 2004, 01:51 AM »
Fat Boy,

Does fastening the plastic storage box to the sled compensate
for the stiffness lost as a result of trimming off the sled's rim?

You have got to have the trickest custom jig heads around man.
It makes me laugh every time I see the picture!  ;)

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 14, 2004, 08:06 AM »
Esox,  was your gear recovered?  I recall reading a post some time back about your gear being stolen.  Man I wouldn't wish that on anyone.  Take a lung, a kidney, but please don't take away my ability to go fishing!!!

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #16 on: Feb 14, 2004, 08:12 AM »
The skis are 178's and the sled weighs ~#63 empty. It is actually a two level sled. There is a deck with a door level with the top of the jet sled. I have no problems loading it into the truck fully loaded (auger, 30 heritage tip-ups, heater, etc.......take the bait bucket out first ;) ). I lift the front and put the skis on the tailgate, then I go to the back of the sled and lift the back and slide it in. It you went with a shorter ski, it would make this more difficult.

This thing pulls great...and I carry a LOT of gear, since I take a lot of folks out fishing that are new and don't have gear of their own.

Here is a top down, so you can see the deck inside and the hatch door.....

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #17 on: Feb 14, 2004, 08:16 AM »
Trevor...Nope. Nerver recovered. I've been looking, but I have not seen any of it. I got my money from my ins company and replaced my gear. It was not fun setting up again....Have you ever spooled 30 Heritage Laker tip-ups with 150 yards of line each? ::) ;) I used a cordless drill and I still think I had over 45 minutes into each, by the time I was all set up with leaders, reflective tape, etc.

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #18 on: Feb 14, 2004, 08:27 AM »
Good to hear you were able to replace it at least.  Would suck for it to happen during a time when things were tight financially. 

What really hurts is that gear is nothing to those scumbags who stole it.  Very likely they weren't anglers.  It's not like tools or something that would be easy for thieves to quickly unload for a buck.  I would imagine they pretty much would have to give that stuff away.  Yet to us as sportsman our gear is practically our livelihood, it's invaluable in that it gives us the freedom to get out and do what we love.  We all fish for different reasons but for many of us it's the mental release from daily pressures, and for some punk to take that away.  Man, give me five minutes in an alley with those guys....

Cheers,
Trevor

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 14, 2004, 10:58 AM »
Fat Boy,

Does fastening the plastic storage box to the sled compensate
for the stiffness lost as a result of trimming off the sled's rim?

You have got to have the trickest custom jig heads around man.
It makes me laugh every time I see the picture!  ;)

Colorado, thanks for the compliment.  The sled does give it stiffness but at the same time it's flexible when you need it (like pushing into a vehicle, the front folds up, or the back).  It works great on nice days when I don't need the Fish Trap.
Kevin Wilson

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Feb 14, 2004, 04:23 PM »
Here's my traveling sled. I use it when the fish trap is not needed and I want to cover a bunch of ice. It's made of 10 ply birch plywood. The runners are covered with 1/8" aulminum flat stock. The bottom is 3/16" polyethylene. It's about 10 yrs old and has held up well. I originally had a windbreak that set up with 1/2" emt poles but I don't use it.
There are no plans...I just built it!
RG

"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Mudbug

« Reply #21 on: Feb 14, 2004, 04:36 PM »
RG, That looks like a very nice homemade practical sled for the nice weather days on the ice.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Feb 14, 2004, 04:42 PM »
Fisherman. cabinetmaker, gunsmith, politician...... ;)
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 14, 2004, 11:13 PM »
RG, good work on yours too. 

I can't wait until everyone posts theirs on here.  These things are so cool to look at.  The pride and care it takes to build them, custom to each persons individual needs, is second to none in the sport of fishing.  Building a shanty might come a close second, then maybe a custom boat... But the sled, that is art! ;)
Kevin Wilson

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #24 on: Feb 15, 2004, 06:39 AM »
Fat boy,
I've been collecting pics of various ice fishing inventions (thanks to a new digital camera) to be included in a book I'm working on.

I've always enjoyed making my own gear, as much as is practical. The variety  of home brewed equipment in this sport proves it's a tinkers hobby. It's a real simple pleasure!
RG

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #25 on: Feb 15, 2004, 07:31 AM »
Fisherman. cabinetmaker, gunsmith, politician...... ;)
RG

Politician????? Most wouldn't admit to that. Maybe diplomat would have been a better description. :)
"Earth................. ...................... ... it's a dangerous place to live."      
        Chainsaw

Offline wkules

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lookin' for EYES!!!
« Reply #26 on: Feb 15, 2004, 02:21 PM »
I simply built a box with a hinged lid and a child's plastic roll up sled stapled to the bottom to help it slide. I also used some extra tent poles I had laying around and fashioned a windbreak that I can put up as needed. I now have a Viking fishing hut but still use the old stand by to bounce around jigging for panfish when the fishing is slow. It also works great for setting up my tip-ups when the wind is biting. I'll try to get a pic posted soon.
Bobbers down and flags up!
Bobbers Down and Flags Up !!!

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 16, 2004, 08:43 AM »
I've been collecting pics of various ice fishing inventions (thanks to a new digital camera) to be included in a book I'm working on.
I'd like to buy a copy when it's out!  Let us all know!!!
Kevin Wilson

Offline Colorado_Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 16, 2004, 03:51 PM »
rgfixit,

I'll buy a copy of your book when it's ready too.   ;)

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #29 on: Feb 16, 2004, 05:10 PM »
Don't get too anxious guys. It'll be a while.
RG

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.