Author Topic: Your Homemade Sled/Pictures  (Read 78165 times)

Offline Polandsrevenge

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Live to Fish
Re: Your Homemade Sled/Pictures
« Reply #30 on: Feb 17, 2004, 07:12 AM »
Pvc- light and strong enough, the ski's went to hell on the shanty, I built it this high in case of deep snow. It works well so far this year!

hard_waterer

« Reply #31 on: Feb 17, 2004, 04:47 PM »
Great Ideas :'(

Offline Floater

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Keep your pole off the ice
« Reply #32 on: Feb 18, 2004, 04:42 PM »
Good idea for a subject Fat Boy.

Some great designs and craftmanship on display, thanks for posting them.

I built mine from the largest tub (less the wheels) that Home Depot sells, thru bolted it to doubled .090" sheet aluminum attached to crosscountry skis via alum. struts.

Now I just have to figure out how to attach one of those three part wind screens to her, and install a brake for going down hills.

Bob

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #33 on: Feb 18, 2004, 05:40 PM »
Bob, that is one cool contraption you got there!  Very sleek.  If they had a downhill race for ice fishing sleds on a ski slope, yours might be the winner!

Oh, and one day last yar at Sheppard Meyer Reservoir I (with my add'l 65 pounds) decided to ride mine down the hill...bad idea...it was fun going down but my auger bracket met my family jewels at the bottom of the hill... :-X :-[

Kinda funny looking back at it.

I promised another look at my sled showing the rod holders inside, here it is:

Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline Colorado_Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • :-)Reader Beware(-:
« Reply #34 on: Feb 18, 2004, 05:53 PM »
Floater,

If you have steep or numerous descents to get to where you fish, add another rope attachment point (or 2) to the rear of the sled. That will allow you to "belay" or let the sled down in front of you. With the carabiner you already use for your pull rope, switching will be quick.

I have also found that 2 points of attachment like Fat Boy is using lets you "jerk steer" the sled in snow. Attaching the pull rope to the ski tips also gives me more floatation in deep snow.

Last but not least. The metal work on your sled is exquisite. The clean lines are really sweet. You have managed function and form, nice job! :'(

"Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job." ~Paul Schullery

Offline Floater

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Keep your pole off the ice
« Reply #35 on: Feb 19, 2004, 06:26 PM »
Fat Boy,

Nice idea how you rigged your rod racks, and sorry to hear about your other "racking"

Colorado Ice,

Thanks for the kind words and the rear caribiner idea, kind of like belaying a hurt climber down a slope.

First big hill, I hollered at my son 'cause he kept crashing it into trees, so I took it over figuring that I could out run it down the slope. Big mistake, ended up just accelerating into a bigger tree, boy did he get a laugh out of that.

Bob

raleigh

« Reply #36 on: Feb 21, 2004, 02:52 PM »
Esox what did you use to attach the skis to the sled. I saw the pic but. What did you use to attach the skis to the brace on the bottom? i am in the process of building a sled and i like your set up.

Offline BASSandICE65

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Pats!!!!
« Reply #37 on: Feb 21, 2004, 03:10 PM »
These are great sled pics I am planning on building a new one this summer got some great ideas from this site. Thanks all ;D

Anyday fishing is better than your best day working!!!!!!!!!

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #38 on: Feb 22, 2004, 06:29 PM »
Raleigh,
Your pics didn't post.  It's the dreaded Sharemation snafu.

I suggest you move your pics to;
www.photobucket.com
or
www.mysticcolorlab.com

They're both free and MUCH more user friendly.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

raleigh

« Reply #39 on: Feb 22, 2004, 08:59 PM »
Thanks rgfixit, Sometimes my pics show up and some times they do not. It seams that a lot of people have trouble with sharemation. Thanks again for the web site's. Rgfixit how do you get the photos to show up with photobucket ? I am having a little trouble getting them to show up.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #40 on: Feb 23, 2004, 05:08 AM »
I'll IM you some info
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #41 on: Feb 23, 2004, 07:23 AM »
raleigh,
I attached the sled to the cross braces with drywall screws
(w/washers). his summer I'm removing it and adding a 1/4 plywood plate between the sled and the cross braces for added support. The unit works well as is, but when somone puts a lot of weight on the back of the sled....like stitting  ::) it deflects the plastic a little. I have some pics I tok while building i, so I'll post them in the next day or two.

Bob

Offline kingfshr16

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #42 on: Feb 24, 2004, 08:54 PM »
Well heres my traveling sled when i dont have the fishtrap, its a normal sled w/ a box like seat w/ a door on the other side that i have shelve like things that hold some stuff and the pvc piping on the back for my rods and the circular cut out for my bucket, not the best pic in the world but ya get the idea.

Jason

Offline WANNAKETCHUM

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Where da fish at???
« Reply #43 on: Feb 24, 2004, 09:40 PM »
You boys have got some really neat sleds on here. I have a sled I've had for years that I made from a child's boat type sled. I mounted a piece of 1/2 in. ply on top (even traced the contour of the sled before I cut it). Used eye bolts to fasten it down (for bungee cords) and traced out and cut holes for three buckets. It also has room to strap on my Coleman stove. I have strapped my Jiffy 30 across the top of the buckets lengthwise..but it's kinda topheavy that way. I still use it but looking at yer stuff has given me a whole bunch of new ideas. Hopefully by next ice season...I will have built THE MOTHER OF ALL ICE SLEDS.....WK  ;D ;D ;D
Give your son a fish, and he will eat for a day.....teach your son to fish and eventually he'll end up kicking your @ss every time you fish together!!!

raleigh

« Reply #44 on: Feb 25, 2004, 09:19 PM »

Offline Colorado_Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • :-)Reader Beware(-:
« Reply #45 on: Feb 25, 2004, 09:37 PM »
raleigh,

Lookin' good man. Nice job on your sled.

"Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job." ~Paul Schullery

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #46 on: Feb 26, 2004, 05:51 AM »
Raleigh,
Great job, Looks well planned and executed...Got this picture thing figured out as well.

Now go get some fishy smell in that sled!
RG

Offline nocash0000

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Feb 26, 2004, 09:16 PM »
the wind breaker around this works very well.

walk the hard water side.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #48 on: Feb 26, 2004, 09:34 PM »
nicely accessorised nocash especiallt the patriots  ;) i like the team ice shanty too

raleigh

« Reply #49 on: Feb 26, 2004, 09:45 PM »
Nice sled nocash. But there is one thing that i would like to point out that i saw wrong with it. That sticker in the front shouldent it say Denver Broncos ?  ;) just kidding. Nice looking sled.

Offline nocash0000

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Mar 06, 2004, 07:05 PM »
hey raleigh,nothing wrong with the broncos i give them a big salaute.the patriots just had a better season this year. I like your rod holder's on the side of your box i just might use your idea, if you don't mind.     Rich
walk the hard water side.

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Mar 06, 2004, 07:47 PM »
hey king nice truck hehe chevy's rule and i like the idea with the pvc pole holders  i always ram my 6 rods into a bucket then fight to get them un tangled    id show a picture of my sled but its nothing special just a midsized jetsled  ;D
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

raleigh

« Reply #52 on: Mar 08, 2004, 08:52 PM »
I just cut four peices of one inch pvc pipe 9 inches long. I made them 9 inches long so they would hold bigger rod's as well as little ones.

Offline transplantfromMN

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SKOL VIKINGS!!!
« Reply #53 on: Dec 26, 2004, 06:09 AM »
Hey Yall this is made out of 1/16" inch aluminum weighs only around 20-25 lbs is 5' long and 3' wide.. I pretty much just made a bigger jet sled.. I have to prime and paint it so my hand will not stick to it when wet but this is how far I am on it..

Ice fishing is Gods gift to winter...

Offline hollis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #54 on: Dec 26, 2004, 07:30 AM »
I don't have a Pic,..maybe some day I'll learn how to do that. OK I use a large toboggen, a thing I got at a flea market. Urethaned bottom sprayed with a light  GOOD silicone  spray. (many are inferior)  I realise its old school but I take out a lot of stuff. the difference is that I make a "hinge" using the rubber of a truck tire tube (metal would make for some drag) and use plywood as wide but not quite as long as  the togbogen. In this way on LIGHT days you can use the length of the tobog and on heave days to can unfold it and now you have a very long "train,.. some eyes and ropes (somewhat like what is on the tobog) some plastic milk type crates and maybe a few 5-7 gal pails and a few bungees to hold them on makes for quick storeage to load it up/unload it back at the vehicle . I even mage a quick tarp to bungee over it with grometts to fit.As  I said have a lot of stuff that I take out for fun. Can get heavy so I use a LONG rope that I put around my waist and can pull it better and generally I don't go more than a 1/4 mile anyway and its not bad.

Offline red_eyes

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAGG!!!!!!!
« Reply #55 on: Dec 26, 2004, 07:26 PM »
transplantfromMN, is ur sled welded or riveted, and how much did it cost to make?
Pain is temporary, trophies last forever

Offline transplantfromMN

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SKOL VIKINGS!!!
« Reply #56 on: Dec 26, 2004, 08:11 PM »
transplantfromMN, is ur sled welded or riveted, and how much did it cost to make?
Completly welded.. I am still in the process of making changes but cost to me so far was nothing.. It only took me one 4'x12' sheet of aluminum and still have lots of leftovers but I got the aluminum free from work..

Offline red_eyes

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAGG!!!!!!!
« Reply #57 on: Dec 27, 2004, 05:12 PM »
nice sled, I  plan on making one like that, as soon as I find a mig welder to buy.

Offline transplantfromMN

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SKOL VIKINGS!!!
« Reply #58 on: Dec 27, 2004, 07:04 PM »
redeyes just remember if you want to go with aluminum make sure if you are useing a mig welder you buy the aluminum spool gun.. I would not suggest useing steel because of the weight unless you dont mind lugging around an extra 60 or so lbs. mine is totally tig welded because that is what I like to use on all my projects and we dont have a alum spool gun at work.

Offline red_eyes

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAGG!!!!!!!
« Reply #59 on: Dec 27, 2004, 07:13 PM »
I own a lincoln 220 stick welder, great welder. now I'm looking for a mig, never welded with mig but everyone I've  talked to says its real easy. want a mig that I can weld aluminum, do you have any suggestions, trying to spend less than $500 on one.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.