The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Jiffy model 30's may be in trouble.  (Read 4136 times)

Offline buddah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Jiffy model 30's may be in trouble.
« on: Jan 10, 2009, 09:28 PM »
I've had a Jiffy model 30 10" auger for about 17 years.It has always worked flawlessly for me with very little maintainence.This morning I blew the recoil shroud out of it on the first pull.I left the ice and started making phone calls for a new one,and it seems the rumors are true,Tecumseh is all done with these engines and parts are very limited for them(mines an AV520).I did find somebody that could get the part,but it took half a day of phone calls.I know these augers are pretty popular,so get your spare parts now,they won't be available for much longer.Once the stock is gone thats it.

Offline LINGUINI

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Jiffy model 30's may be in trouble.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2009, 09:35 PM »
try  rick and rays in buxton

Offline Icefish_master

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Have a crappie day!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2009, 11:28 PM »
good thing they last 20+ years.  :thumbsup:
Just call my name 'cause I'll hear you scream MASTER! MASTER!

Offline The TK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2009, 06:49 AM »
post or PM your engine numbers from the shroud, i'll see what's up. a lot of the older uncommon parts get discontinued by nature.

Offline hardwatergrampa

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2009, 07:02 AM »
budda did you brake the pull cord or the rewind spring a lot of the the push lawn mowers used the same starter , also not sure about your model jiffey but  jiffy always used the 2 way starter cone on top of the flywheel  the self rewinding starter sat inside the cup and on the out side it was notched so you could wrap a rope around the cup to start it in an emergency
in god we trust

Offline macdaddyaxe

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • live to fish and fish to live
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2009, 07:39 AM »
Hey boot talk to jmayo he has a small engine shop and a friend told me he is set up with jiffy parts. :D

Offline No Time To_Fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2009, 09:17 AM »
Hey Boot,  Tecumseh is not in fact all done. The were bought by another company, and they are closing their plant in Tenn. I think. But they still exist and will continue to make engine parts. Go do a google search for their website. They are still up and running as a company. I'm not sure how the parts availability is going to be affected, but from what I've seen, there is a hype going around and its making people scarf up parts quickly and it seems to propagated somewhat by the some ( and I do mean some, not most) small engine shops because its temporarily increasing business.

Just my two cents. I could be wrong....happens all the time ;D

Offline icezombie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2009, 09:21 AM »
the demand for parts will have some company buying them up or taking over just for the selling of  parts

Offline MG39

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2009, 10:51 AM »
I recently bought some parts for my model #30 at LaPointe's Lawn Care in Lewiston, who is a jiffy parts supplier.

You might be interested in this web site for jiffy. This is the main supplier (Feldman Engineering) and the prices are not bad. I've ordered extensions and blade protectors from them.

http://www.jiffyonice.com/history.htm
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have Trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today & I Will Trust Tomorrow,
Maybe......

Semper-Fi

Offline Corso

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2009, 10:55 AM »
Hey Boot,  Tecumseh is not in fact all done. The were bought by another company, and they are closing their plant in Tenn. I think. But they still exist and will continue to make engine parts. Go do a google search for their website. They are still up and running as a company. I'm not sure how the parts availability is going to be affected, but from what I've seen, there is a hype going around and its making people scarf up parts quickly and it seems to propagated somewhat by the some ( and I do mean some, not most) small engine shops because its temporarily increasing business.

[/quote

This is a true story...had a conversation with a lifelong tecumseh dealer last night....he told me they lost a big account..but no indication of going under

Offline jmayo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2009, 04:01 PM »

I can tell you for a fact Tecumseh is all done. a month ago I called my distributor to inquire about going to take classes to become and authorized tec. service center. my response from them was as of the 15th of December tec. was shutting the doors no more classes unless someone buys them out. but if that was going to happen you would see nothing until spring. warranty support is supposed to still be available until June but I would be sceptical if that will happen. besides jiffy has used tec. engines for more than 30 years. and now all of a sudden they come out with a new model this year the sd60i and it has a jiffy engine no more tec. i would think with as good of luck as they have had with the tec. engines if they were still going to be available they would still be using them.

John
>--^-(*>
John

a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work

Offline The TK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 2009, 09:11 PM »

I can tell you for a fact Tecumseh is all done. a month ago I called my distributor to inquire about going to take classes to become and authorized tec. service center. my response from them was as of the 15th of December tec. was shutting the doors no more classes unless someone buys them out. but if that was going to happen you would see nothing until spring. warranty support is supposed to still be available until June but I would be sceptical if that will happen. besides jiffy has used tec. engines for more than 30 years. and now all of a sudden they come out with a new model this year the sd60i and it has a jiffy engine no more tec. i would think with as good of luck as they have had with the tec. engines if they were still going to be available they would still be using them.

John

as of a month ago that was the same response i got from my distributor. he didn't exactly say they shut the doors, but it was up in the air. what distributor do you go through? we probably use the same....
i have also heard that tecumseh was bought and will still be manufactured. it's too bad, there are too many tecumseh engines out there that just plain work.

Offline The TK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2009, 09:28 PM »
as of a month ago that was the same response i got from my distributor. he didn't exactly say they shut the doors, but it was up in the air. what distributor do you go through? we probably use the same....
i have also heard that tecumseh was bought and will still be manufactured. it's too bad, there are too many tecumseh engines out there that just plain work.

ironically my distributor dropped in to say hi this morning and we got talking. tecumseh has not been shut down, they are in fact pumping out parts as we speak. the engine division on the other hand, not so much. their future as a company is up in the air, more will be known sometime next month. chances are an equipment manufacturer is going to buy out tecumseh and take it from there. the current engine lineup is not scheduled to meet next years emissions law changes, and tecumseh is not investing in updates at this point due to company status. that will be left up to whoever buys the company, if anyone. so don't worry too much at this point about scarfing up parts for these engines quite yet  ;)

that, and i mean, who really has a problem other than the occasional carb cleaning and spark plug?  :thumbsup:

Offline No Time To_Fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 12, 2009, 10:18 PM »

John
    Hey John. What I heard is similar to what TK posted about. Obviously you are in the business, so I didn't mean to step on any toes.

Offline JimP

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Moosehead Lake 2008
« Reply #14 on: Jan 12, 2009, 11:07 PM »
I wonder if it has anything to do with all the cheap, junk Chinese engines I am seeing cropping up on all the MTD snowblowers and probably next year their mowers? My guy is LaPoints in Lewiston and he didn't have much good to say about the Chinese engines. Said he wasn't going to work on them. The engines are made by Jiangsu.

Has Jiffy gone to a Chinese engine on their new models. I have a 2 year old model 30 that was a leftover, I bought it cause it was the same as ones that were 20 years old. I figured with care it would last the rest of my days.

Offline The TK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 13, 2009, 07:15 AM »
the first run of engines that mtd used, the PZ0 series were not all that great, hodge podge design mostly copying honda. the newer ones have been proving themselves to be alright, pretty durable. they are actually looking to make the move to have them made in the US so they can have the sticker "Made in USA" - not particularly the right reason to move it back to our own turf, but hey, at least they want them made here.

Offline jmayo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 13, 2009, 08:04 AM »
no one is stepping on toes I had just not heard the news about tecumseh parts still being produced It is great to hear. I happen to use the same parts people tk does and have not talked to them in a while. so all the news is good. I am not sure whos engine jiffy is using on there new model as I have not seen one in person. I would just hope that they did some extensive testing to see how well it will hold up before they released it for the public to buy.

John
>--^-(*>
John

a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work

Offline The TK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 13, 2009, 08:59 AM »
no one is stepping on toes I had just not heard the news about tecumseh parts still being produced It is great to hear. I happen to use the same parts people tk does and have not talked to them in a while. so all the news is good. I am not sure whos engine jiffy is using on there new model as I have not seen one in person. I would just hope that they did some extensive testing to see how well it will hold up before they released it for the public to buy.

John

ya by no means is anything posted with ill intentions. just want to post any knowledge available for everyone. i am often firing off emails to my rep. because my business is changing so much right now, and he loves to go off on tangents with every reply. so i end up with more information than i bargained for :) not a bad thing IMO.  i also have not heard any reports on the new engines by jiffy. i can only hope they prove themselves like tecumseh has.

Offline buddah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 13, 2009, 04:48 PM »
Downeast sharpening put the new recoil on today,1 pull later and she is purring like a kitten.He even threw it on the sharpener for me.Should be good for another 17 years.  :thumbsup: ...............and yes,i'm knocking on wood.  ;D

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 13, 2009, 04:58 PM »
Downeast sharpening put the new recoil on today,1 pull later and she is purring like a kitten.He even threw it on the sharpener for me.Should be good for another 17 years.  :thumbsup: ...............and yes,i'm knocking on wood.  ;D
Lookout Crappie he is back in operation.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline buddah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 13, 2009, 05:14 PM »
Lookout Crappie he is back in operation.

They won't have to worry about me for a while,Sebago's just about ready.

Offline OLBLUUU

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big
« Reply #21 on: Jan 13, 2009, 06:18 PM »
They won't have to worry about me for a while,Sebago's just about ready.

WOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOO

S         E        B        A        G         OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOO

Offline smeltslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New Vineyard,Me
« Reply #22 on: Jan 13, 2009, 08:12 PM »
WOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOO

S         E        B        A        G         OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOO
You guys gonna let me come down and fish with ya?  ;D

Offline buddah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 13, 2009, 08:30 PM »

Anytime!.............Start studying the lake on that I-finder,pick out a piece of bottom you like,and we'll hit it.There should be plenty of fishable ice by the weekend after this coming one.

Offline kimball07

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • race,fish,and hunt
« Reply #24 on: Jan 13, 2009, 09:41 PM »
for some reason after the first line i thought would be "he even threw it on....

on the dyno!" but it wasn't still 3hp's?

Offline hardwatergrampa

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 14, 2009, 09:17 AM »
if you promise to use jack traps   :woot: :woot: :woot:
in god we trust

Offline Flatlander2Fisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I got my game face on now! Come'er Fish
« Reply #26 on: Jan 14, 2009, 09:30 AM »
Had an oldtimer donate his Jiffy he bought back in 86' to my ice fishing career (all 3 years of it so far) and it still fires right up like a champ after all these years.  I am pumped about how these last longer than most marriages.  Or maybe that is the reason why marriages don't last?  Come on Sebago!!!!! Gotta get the itch out - - - - ;D
Here fishy fishy fishy

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 14, 2009, 09:58 AM »
if you promise to use jack traps   :woot: :woot: :woot:

Good one gramps. ;D

Offline LoveShack

• IceShanty Rookie
  • My Heritage Laker is in the circle!
« Reply #28 on: Jan 14, 2009, 10:07 AM »
I heard the same thing last week about Tecumseh. It's hard to believe so many things use them!
Are you afraid to catch big fish?<br />I can help!

Offline hardwatergrampa

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 14, 2009, 07:12 PM »
Good one gramps. ;D

i just had to do it  i just had to do it  i just had to do it
in god we trust

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.