The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: unattended bait traps  (Read 832 times)

Offline chief613

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • ....but why does it always happen to me!?
unattended bait traps
« on: Jan 09, 2009, 07:11 PM »
i have noticed in the last few weeks i have seen my bait i have been getting out of my traps go from large 3-5"+ bait to 1-2" . there are 6 traps that haven't been attended for close to a month. I looked down through the clear early ice and the traps look to be about 2' square and 8-10" deep. could these affect a small ponds (3-4 acre) population. similar thing happened last year other than it was the amount of bait declined

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
Re: unattended bait traps
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2009, 07:17 PM »
I think they have to have a name tag and tended once every 7 days if that a trap. Could it be a storage container so that someone doesn't lose them in his basement with well water?
Steve

Offline chief613

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • ....but why does it always happen to me!?
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2009, 07:23 PM »
I think they have to have a name tag and tended once every 7 days if that a trap. Could it be a storage container so that someone doesn't lose them in his basement with well water?
same rules apply to holding

Marking and checking baitfish traps. All baitfish traps and baitfish holding boxes must be marked with the name and address of the person who is taking or holding the baitfish, and must be checked at least once in every 7 calendar days by the person who set them.

Offline Phoenix

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2009, 03:58 AM »
If the traps aren't tagged and haven't been checked in a month you should talk to your local warden about it.

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2009, 03:53 PM »
same rules apply to holding

Marking and checking baitfish traps. All baitfish traps and baitfish holding boxes must be marked with the name and address of the person who is taking or holding the baitfish, and must be checked at least once in every 7 calendar days by the person who set them.
I was told you also have to have your phone number as well on the tag, we cover all the bases on our bait traps.

Offline boooshka

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2009, 09:19 PM »
I just put my name and phone number on mine. haven't had no problems.

Offline buddah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2009, 10:05 PM »
I don't believe the neglected traps(if that's what they are) are affecting the pond.If the bait can find a way in,it can find a way out over time.My traps always have more bait in them after 24 hours compared to 48 or 72.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.