Author Topic: Kingston, Ontario, Back Lakes  (Read 227436 times)

Offline Tylercurt

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Kingston, Ontario, Back Lakes
« Reply #870 on: Jan 25, 2015, 01:26 AM »
Went for Crappy the other night there , caught perch, pike, walleye and sunfish, no crappy....lol Oh well still nice to get out to a new location..
Tim

Offline Jackster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #871 on: Jan 28, 2015, 07:53 AM »
Morning Guys, I am going to purchase a 2 man flip up ice shelter and I would appreciate some opinions on what make and model you would recommend. Thanks.

Offline Cadeuses

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #872 on: Jan 28, 2015, 09:26 AM »
Hi Jackster, welcome to the IceShanty Ontario Board. 

If I may make a suggestion, in order to get more reply's to your question about which 2 man flip up ice shelter to purchase, start a new post as this one is for Kingston, Ontario, Back Lakes.

I would recommend a Clam Nanook or a Fabrill Predator or Guardian.  Otter has some 2 man flips as well but they are spendy.

Cheers and good luck.

Cadeuses

Offline Jackster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #873 on: Jan 28, 2015, 10:53 AM »
Thanks Cadeuses, I appreciate the advice.

Offline KtownIce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #874 on: Feb 02, 2015, 10:51 AM »
Made it out to Second Depot this past weekend during the cold snap on Saturday.  We set up in 15 to 30 FOW with set lines and active jig lines.  Lines were set with live minnows, dead bait tipped on the jigging lines and set anywhere from a foot of bottom to mid range.  Fish appeared to be coming in around 20 FOW during the morning and seemed to retreat to the weedy bays in the afternoon. We managed some crappie, rock bass and pike.  Not a bad run for an uber cold day.

Offline deft-traveler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #875 on: Feb 08, 2015, 11:43 AM »
Lots of snow on Dog Lake. Was on the ice for 4 hours yesterday without much luck. Did land a few crappie which were great but overall very slow. Had one heavy strike that totaled my lure - not sure what it was, just knew that I lost the gold dropper chain with single octopus hook and glow epoxy bead that was attached to the main nomad spoon.  ???

Offline newfisher9

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #876 on: Feb 09, 2015, 10:44 AM »
Just wanna say thanks to everyone whos contributed to this thread, lots of valuable info

Will be at verona on friday and syndenham on sunday

Good luck

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #877 on: Feb 15, 2015, 05:10 AM »
This cold weather and snow is playing havoc with the fishing. Snowfall in the greater Kingston area is making it a little harder to slog out to the favourite spots on the ice - not impossible but a little more effort than usual. Anyway, once out on the lakes fish are hanging pretty tight to the bottom. But on days when it is very cold for several days in a row, fish are moving to areas with some structure. This little guide below has been helpful for me more times than you can imagine. Thought I would share it with all my Brothers and Sisters of the Angle.

Tight lines to all!

Don

aka leviathan_slayer
Don a.k.a. Leviathan_slayer

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #878 on: Feb 15, 2015, 08:56 AM »
To all those who enjoy angling in the lakes around the greater Kingston area feel free to check out the webpage I am creating for the area. Please send me any comments or suggestions you have to enhance / improve it.

Ciao for now.

http://kingstonareafishing.simdif.com/index.html

Don

aka leviathan_slayer

Offline sig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #879 on: Feb 15, 2015, 09:56 AM »
Great work, a well needed site, It`s on my fav list now,  looking forward to updates.

Thanks sig(ron) sends VVV
[img width=218 height=80]http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt331/431-s

Offline JVD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #880 on: Feb 20, 2015, 06:28 PM »
I put it in my favorites as well Good Job!

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #881 on: Mar 13, 2015, 08:16 PM »
Well hopefully we can squeeze in a few more days of ice fishing before the ice starts to disappear.  Looking to get out on the ice this Sunday.

Tight lines to all!

Don

aka leviathan_slayer

Offline spyderco

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #882 on: Mar 31, 2015, 07:26 AM »
Hello out there!  Great thread I've picked up some good info with this being my first serious hardwater season this winter.  I'm wondering if anyone has an update on ice conditions for Verona area lakes - and predictions for Easter weekend?  Supposed to get up to 14 degrees Thurs/Fri.  Are you going to get out one last time or will this warm weather shut it down for good?  I was hoping for one last kick at the can before open water and spring crappies:)

Offline Rob.lowery

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #883 on: Oct 14, 2015, 06:33 PM »
Hello,

Decided to make a account instead of just lurking. im in Trenton Ontario and frequent BOQ, Trent river system and Rice lake. Looking to get some info on 2nd Depot. every year we try and head on out for ling. we have tried early ice and late ice and have not seemed to get into many. our most was 7 between 3 guys ovr 10 hours. we normally go off the beach in about 28-35fow just because we don't know it well. we tried around the corner of the beach on the west side the once in 25ft of water and what seemed to be a rock bottom and caught 3 off tipups behind us in 30ish ft. we know there is a highspot just further around the corner that people hit pike off and behind us in a big 40-45ft flat.

curious if anyone could be nice enough to lend a hand is directing us to where we need to be. and hopefully for early ice because in late feb-early march we find it always has a ton of water on the ice. this is going to be our first year with a flasher but in the past with old fish finders we have marked a ton of fish in the 45ft water suspended about 20ftbut never tried catching them because we just learned that crappy are in the lake and figured it would be them. we have also tried ice fishing 3rd as we were told more ling were in it but didn't get any and just had to settle for walleyes @). any help would be appreciated and after reading this forum it appears I need to frequent more lakes around the area and buy me charts.

figured with -1 in he forcast for Saturday its time to start dusting off the gear

thanks Rob

Offline Archer Ontario

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #884 on: Nov 22, 2015, 10:43 AM »
Hello I'm from Kingston , I grew up in Godfrey ,
I grew up fishing the depots
I've always found out afternoons are much better ,
Splake I've fished Upper Rock and Draper
Speckles paddies lake ,
Sydenham lake fish eel bay for pike and crappies
Walleye Wolfe lake , BOQ, depots,
As for Verona Rock,Howse,Silver great populations of pike perch crappies with the occasional walleye ,
Want numbers of walleye but there's a slot size Centennial Lake off 41 lots of fish but slot size is bigger than  19 3/4 inch
Stoco lake in tweed is another great place to fish crappies pike walleye worth the trip

Love ice fishing great times

Offline Mustard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #885 on: Nov 29, 2015, 08:40 AM »
Hey I live around dog lake north of Kingston. I'm looking for a good spot for crappie or other pan fish during hard water season. I want to take my 3 year old out this year and have him excited to go. So any good spots around dog, Loughborough, Sydenham etc. thanks.

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #886 on: Nov 29, 2015, 09:45 AM »
To all those who enjoy angling in the lakes around the greater Kingston area feel free to check out the webpage I am creating for the area. Please send me any comments or suggestions you have to enhance / improve it.

Ciao for now.

http://kingstonareafishing.simdif.com/index.html

Don

aka leviathan_slayer
thanks brother, bookmarked.

Offline Archer Ontario

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #887 on: Dec 03, 2015, 07:32 PM »
Crappie perch pike on Collins Lake Dog lake buck Lake

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #888 on: Jan 14, 2016, 06:18 PM »
Well my piscatorial colleagues, it is time to check out the leviathans lying below the frozen layer of H2O. Ice conditions vary around the region so caution must be exercised before wandering out in pursuit of the first fish of the new year.  I will be checking out a few lakes this weekend and letting you know what the conditions are like! 

Ciao for now!!

Don
(a.k.a. leviathan_slayer)

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #889 on: Jan 14, 2016, 06:55 PM »

The delay in the setting of the ice can only lead to bigger catches!! Hahahah!!

Don

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #890 on: Jan 14, 2016, 07:45 PM »

Here is my latest version of the 3D map for Verona Lake using my latest software and the data from my fishfinder!

Ciao for now!

Don

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #891 on: Jan 14, 2016, 08:07 PM »

Make sure to be safe out there on the ice!

Ciao for now

Don

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #892 on: Jan 14, 2016, 08:10 PM »

Just another one focused on your safety!

Ciao for now!

Don

Offline farmerk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #893 on: Jan 15, 2016, 01:21 PM »
Hello everyone,
Just did a tour of several local lakes in hopes of finding fish-able water. Beware that some of the remote roads are snow covered but with slick ice underneath, making them quite challenging and unpredictable to drive on. Can be done in well equipped vehicle but take your time.
Here is my report, spudding every 3-5 feet as I went out. I measured thickness with ruler so there is no approximation here.

2depot is not safe, lake is ice/snow covered except for the open water patch to the left of the launch. Ice is fairly thick right at the shore but it rapidly goes into 1 1/2" and I did not venture further (stopped about 8-10 yards offshore). 3/4depots pretty much similar, slightly more ice on the 4 but thickness varies greatly as I went to the left and right. No more then 3" and quality is not consistent, my foot went through 3 feet to the left of 3" ice - giving me a bit of a start.
13Island is not safe (fist size rock went through so I did not bother with spud), same for 30Island.
Verona looked not bad at the shoreline and I saw no open water (water St.). I ventured about 30 yards offshore punching as I went, theoretically you can fish there but ice is very inconsistent - never hit anything more then 3" and it went to under 2" at the end of my spudding trail (straight out from the launch). As I worked to the right (southerly direction) - it became very thin and spud would go through in one good hit.
Checked out desert, Gould, Cronk and parts of Sydenham and a couple of other smaller places many of which had A LOT OF OPEN WATER! The rain last week raised the headwaters considerably thus reducing whatever solid ice there was in the previous week's cold spell.
You can probably find a small area to fish but there is nowhere that I found  (in 7 hours of driving around and spudding away) which I would consider safe enough for me.
Good luck if you find safe zone (and let me know.........I so wanted to fish today......).

Offline hearn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #894 on: Jan 15, 2016, 03:01 PM »
Thanks for the update! Appreciate it.

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #895 on: Jan 15, 2016, 04:10 PM »
Thanks farmerk for checking out the lakes. Be safe out there!!!

Don

Offline sig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #896 on: Jan 16, 2016, 06:09 AM »
Thanks for your ice report,  with the freezing rain this am looks like an other week to be safe.

Cheers sig (Ron) sends VVV
[img width=218 height=80]http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt331/431-s

Offline Bigbassmon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #897 on: Jan 18, 2016, 01:21 PM »
I fished 1st depot this past weekend. It has 4-5" of black ice. Got loads of bluegill and a couple crappies each day. Also managed a suprised walleye which was just over the slot. Was good to be out.

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #898 on: Jan 19, 2016, 05:55 AM »
Great work bigbassmon! This coming weekend looks like it will be time to hit the Kingston back lakes. The temperatures this week are perfect. Just remember to be safe when venturing out on the lake.

Tip up and tight lines to all!

Don

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #899 on: Jan 19, 2016, 06:11 AM »
Here is the hyperlink to this year's MNR Fishing Regulation Summary.

https://dr6j45jk9xcmk.cloudfront.net/documents/4955/2016-fishing-summary-english-accessible-final.pdf

Tight lines to all!

Don

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.