Author Topic: fishing sled  (Read 45926 times)

twistedlimb

fishing sled
« on: Feb 10, 2004, 11:53 AM »
Anyone have ideas on how to make a home made fishing sled and gear hauler? something not too heavy. thanks

Hermey

Re: fishing sled
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2004, 12:10 PM »
You may be better off buying a $20 Jet Sled Jr., a $40 Jet Sled, or something comparable.  These lightweight plastics pull very easily, and they are nearly indestructible under normal use.

For the time and money you'll put into making one, it may not be worth your trouble.  These sleds are very lightweight compared to some of the "homemade" models I've seen on the ice, which are often made from HEAVY plywood.

However, a homemade sled can be better customized, and I guess it does have its rewards, so long as its not too heavy.

Offline Sasquatch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2004, 12:26 PM »
I have a jet sled and am very happy with it.  If your problem is that it is too small, you cam always buy a large storage bin and bungee it in.  Making one would probably cost more and would deffinately weigh more.  If your set on homemade, use old skis as skids.  I made a homemade sleigh for my atv and old skis work great as the skids.

Offline Lottie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pa. Goat Boy member
« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2004, 01:26 PM »
I built 1 and have $200 + into it most expensive part was the wooden toboggan  to screw the box on.   used a toboggan instead of skis due to snow depth at times. Works great because it has a split top to sit on and get into the box. I also have the box notched out so that the gas auger is sitting on the front of the toboggan and the auger part sets inside with equipment, 10 tipups, bait, ect.  however it was expensive but a sence of acomplishment. I have alot of small stuff on hooks inside the box so that its easy acess. One of my friends said it looks like a store in there.       If you decide to build one I can give you more details.

nuke1neil

« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2004, 01:44 PM »
If you fish much in s.e.pa you have to be careful with a homemade sled.Quite often the snow melts but the ice is still good.Usually the homemade jobs are quite heavy and you will have a heart attack pulling them across grass,gravel,etc.If you have to go up any kind of hill it's worse than dragging a deer.If your'e where the snow stays all season or you can drive right up to the ice you will be ok with the homemade.I just bought a jet sled type and love it.I can't carry as much as with my old homemade one,but I definitely can carry everything I need.I think it cost less than 30.00.

Offline Lottie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pa. Goat Boy member
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2004, 02:24 PM »
just trying to protect the names of the innocent.  LOL
 PS  grouse my son and I nailed them yesterday at west Colong.

Offline rob3197

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2004, 08:31 PM »
hermy is right the jet sled or jetsled jr  are the way to go the wife bought one for me for christmas cant beat it works very well can fit all my gear pulls easily

hope this helps
remember there is no crying in icefishing

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2004, 10:17 PM »
I have a Jet Sled jr., coupled with a plastic storage unit (70's) It was probably designed to hold boots and sundries, so it has a black lid (foam padded) to sit on. The top flips open to hold tip-ups, food ,Fl-18, etc. On the back, I mounted some PVC tubes to hold my jigging rods. Very light, comfortable, and best of all free. (not the sled!) It was part of the clutter in the garage that came from the my late in-laws. Of course, now I often take too much gear out; probably the only person on this board who does that.

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 11, 2004, 12:01 AM »
You can take those cheap plastic sleds that you can buy from the hardware store and bolt a plastic box of your choice (I like the ones with the hinged lids to keep your stuff dry when it snows).  I mounted the box to the middle of the sled, leaving space in front and in back to put stuff.  I attached PVC rod tubes to the inside of the lid in the box.  Also, I attached brackets on the outside of the lid of the box on top to hold my auger, and the brackets fold down out of the way.  I attached a Berkely rod holder to the front of the box.  I have room for all my gear, flasher, and a bucket.  Attaching bungie cords permanently helps too.  I call it my 4x4 on ice, LOL.  It's not too heavy and pulls through anything.  I'll post a pic later, my brother borrowed my sled so I can't take a good pic of it. 

I bought a fish trap this year for use in inclement weather, but for nice days, the sled is the way to go.

Half the fun is making your own contraption.  This subject fascinates me... All the ways that people get their stuff out on the ice, it's very interesting.  I've seen some really useful ideas, very original stuff...
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline CAMOTIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 11, 2004, 12:22 PM »
I have a buddy who made a sled for me, from Erie-it's made out of light weight pipe, angle, weighs about 7# and pulls my Clam 2000 and the other 50# of stuff I usually haul out, on any ice/snow condition with no problem. I told him he needs to market the sled and come up with a cost. Let me know if there is any interest and I'll give him a call to start mass producing the sled. I've used short skis mounted on a frame in the past-does not work bad, except for deep snow or slush conditions-his sled goes anywhere!

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 11, 2004, 04:10 PM »
You can see my contraption on the following related thread that I started on the General Chit Chat page (this thread inspired that one, interesting topic I think :))

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=9894
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline ravenwolf

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 12, 2005, 12:48 PM »
Try attaching a plastic cooler to an old flexible flyer sled. You probally have both laying around and it floats.

Bugeyed

« Reply #12 on: Feb 16, 2005, 08:18 PM »
Walmart sells  what is called the Smart Bin in there auto dept.Built in tackle box in the seat.Set up to attach a  couple of old skis.Holds  three 5gal buckets poles fish finders etc.Very comfortable and durable.Cost $39.95.

fishtale51

« Reply #13 on: Feb 20, 2005, 06:32 PM »
in past years I carried everything in 5 gallon plastic pail in one hand and the auger in the other hand.  recently purchased a larger model jet sled. makes life easier.  i have an older model coleman cooler attached on back of sled with a bungee cord.  The cooler holds everything i need and then some plus doubles as a seat on back of sled.

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 20, 2005, 06:44 PM »
I like the Jet Sled...

Offline R.V. ICEMAN

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • VEX, is sure an expensive depth finder..
« Reply #15 on: Mar 14, 2005, 03:48 PM »
for a good sled, just find some old boards laying around at your house or a buddy's
house and make a box to your size, make one years ago, works as a seat for 2, is light enough to pick up my self, and it holds all my fishing stuff.  find a old pair of ski's, via yard sale or friend, and make it to your liking.  i had to make mine thin enough to fit under my truck bed cover, however make the width and lenght to your desire, very cheap,
The more fish we release, is more fish we all can catch.  b/c we all like to catch.   Catch, Photo, Release!!  Such an easy concept, but so hard for others to understand!!!!!

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 01, 2005, 08:40 PM »
i made a sled out of old tent poles and sheet metal. worked great but not real durable.

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 02, 2005, 08:19 AM »
My first ice sled consisted of 2 of the most warped 2x2's I could find, a chunk of old panelling, a cooler, and 2 bungy cords.  Used it for a whole season (still have it in the shed), then in the spring when they were on clearance, I bought a jet sled.  I build a nice little 2x2 frame in it, so that the auger sits up high and doesn't take up the whole sled. 

Offline big big rdg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike Hunter
« Reply #18 on: Nov 02, 2005, 09:45 PM »
I have a jet sled and love it to death. Very easy to pull, lightweight, and keeps everything neat and organized. I recomend the Jet Sled or a similar product.

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #19 on: Nov 08, 2005, 08:13 PM »
I've got the jet sled. Took a piece of thin plywood and made a lid with a piano hinge and hobie bracket. put a set of hanging rod holders under the lid to protect the rods. Tackle and small stuff go in, auger and stove go on top.Throwable life cushion makes a good seat.

Offline iceman_4432

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 02, 2005, 02:01 PM »
My vote would be to get a Jet Sled.  I have made many a custom sled in my day .... mostly because i like tinkering ..... but they are heavy !  And when you have to pull them distances, you will be thankful for the light weight jet sled.

bigdave1018

« Reply #21 on: Dec 09, 2005, 04:56 AM »
i just bought the 4 1/2 ft by 2 ft jet sled but need some inexpensive ideas for the bottom to keep it from wearing out. i have skis and looked into putting flashing on it but its too pricey. had 1 idea to use flat metal shelfing supports cut to size. i dont want to make too many holes in the sled either, possibly use the two predrilled holes for the pull rope and then 2 more on the upper back of it. any thoughts on this, i would be thankful. big dave out.

Offline bigpapamike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 27, 2009, 08:02 AM »
I found a truck bed toolbox made out of plastic in the garbage.[the kind that spans the width of a pickup truck bed]. cut one end off and plugged the hole that made with a piece of plywood on a piano hinge. I use a ice cube shanty and it fits in there with my shovel aqua view and almost everything else I bring with me. Only thing on top is llawn chair and auger. I used snow skis mounted on rails to pick it up out of the snow and a handle off a lawnmower to pull by hand or with quad. I am very happy with it. Its indestructable and pretty light. I cut off the end so it would fit on the tailgate when the quad is in the bed of the truck.

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #23 on: Aug 18, 2009, 11:21 AM »
Here's what I did. My homemade sled for my suitcase shanty. I got tired of it being a snow plow instead of it riding on top of the snow. Now it is like pulling 5lbs behind me when I have probably 85lbs of gear on it. It puts together in 30 seconds and takes apart in 15 seconds. It glides so easy over the snow! Now I,m not afraid of walking a long distance to a hot spot if I have to. It can be built for $15-$20 depending how cheap you get your skis for and what other stuff you have on hand. My skis only cost me $5 at our local thrift store. This also comes apart really easy so you can fit in your car like I have to, NO TOOLS REQUIRED! I thought I should share this for anyone on a budget or for one to get into your car Like I have to. Smitty

[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline jascpa099

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • You don't win friends with salad.
« Reply #24 on: Sep 30, 2009, 06:51 AM »
Here's what I did. My homemade sled for my suitcase shanty. I got tired of it being a snow plow instead of it riding on top of the snow. Now it is like pulling 5lbs behind me when I have probably 85lbs of gear on it. It puts together in 30 seconds and takes apart in 15 seconds. It glides so easy over the snow! Now I,m not afraid of walking a long distance to a hot spot if I have to. It can be built for $15-$20 depending how cheap you get your skis for and what other stuff you have on hand. My skis only cost me $5 at our local thrift store. This also comes apart really easy so you can fit in your car like I have to, NO TOOLS REQUIRED! I thought I should share this for anyone on a budget or for one to get into your car Like I have to. Smitty

(Image removed from quote.)
That is a GREAT idea for that style of shanty! 
God is great; beer is good, and people are crazy!

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Oct 07, 2009, 06:15 AM »
1 time buy   get an otter   more expensive  but more durable!   a 1 time buy   I started with the small   fits about anywhere  and now have 2 magnums    I haul tooo much   
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline bullheadlodge

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Oct 27, 2009, 02:55 PM »
I'll second it on the otter sleds. Have had mine for 7 years now, and haven't had any issues at all with it wearing out. Plus the smallest size is compact enough to fit on the back seat of my Jeep.

Offline Double-L

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Oct 27, 2009, 03:32 PM »

NICE set-up Smitty. :thumbsup:   Well done......Lou
"CATCH & RELEASE" --- For another day!

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Nov 01, 2009, 05:46 PM »
My vote would be to get a Jet Sled.  I have made many a custom sled in my day .... mostly because i like tinkering ..... but they are heavy !  And when you have to pull them distances, you will be thankful for the light weight jet sled.

make some runners using light weight angle iron. bolt them to the bottom. keeps it from wearing out and also makes them track straight on the ice when there is no snow. cheap, easy, effective and cheap/easy to replace.

I think they also sell some runners/skids for them too.

J-

ETA: Opps qouted the wrong post! >:( but you all get the idea

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #29 on: Nov 02, 2009, 06:31 AM »
If the jet sled is big enough you can stand it on end, and use it for a wind break. The box you carry your stuff in can be used as a seat.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.