The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Messalonskee  (Read 891 times)

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
Messalonskee
« on: Jan 08, 2009, 07:56 PM »
Is there a public landing on the southern end of the lake? I was thinking about trying to catch a pike during the day while I waited to go smelting that night, might as well make a day of it.
Steve

Offline Fishalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Messalonskee
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2009, 08:36 PM »
Is there a public landing on the southern end of the lake? I was thinking about trying to catch a pike during the day while I waited to go smelting that night, might as well make a day of it.
The landing at the southern end is also on the inlet and the water is moving, I'd stay away from there this time of year. Go to the Sidney landing on the east side. Easy parking and safe ice,You never know where the pike will be this time of year. What day where you thinking of going?
Let the little one\\\\\\\'s grow

Offline jp

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2009, 08:48 PM »
I fished the outlet end on the first and had no luck at all. the south end does have some parking but not sure if it's plowed.  I see a truck on the ice at the sidney landing on sunday and shacks all over the place.

Offline keepah seekah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2009, 08:51 PM »

fire off a PM to MikeG. i believe he lives on the lake and would be more then willing to help you out
i am a big supporter of PETA...."People Eating Tasty Animals"

"the green hornet strikes again gustafson!!!!"

Offline jiggah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2009, 08:53 PM »
we fished messalonskee fri-sat-sun last week on the west shoreline had about 8" ice. many shacks by the sidney boat launch- very easy access!!!jig
It's not the size that matters! Wait, yeah it is!!!!!!

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2009, 07:16 AM »
Thanks, I stayed at Mike G's camp last March. I was thinking of going the 17th.
Steve

Offline Mike G

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2009, 07:49 AM »
Hi Pegasus,
How have you been?
I would agree with Dennis.  I'd stay away from walking on the lake near the Route 27 boat launch by Hammond Lumber.  It's moving water over there and unless you know where you are, you can go from 10 inches of ice to freezing your @%&$! in a matter of a few steps.  If your really want to fish the lake, go to the Sidney launch - 6.6. miles on Route 23 from the intersection of Route 27.  The road is called Hosta Lane.  The ice is safe there and you'll be much better off.  What day are you going?  I'll be bouncing around the lake all weekend. 
Mike

Offline jigmaster22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2009, 05:58 PM »
how much ice is there on mesalonskee can i get my 4 wheeler on it? im coming up in 2 weeks..

Offline Fishalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2009, 06:01 PM »
 Some have trucks out there.
Let the little one\\\\\\\'s grow

Offline jigmaster22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2009, 06:14 PM »
yeah bad question, there were quads out this weekend down here so im sure your safe up there.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.