The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Jiffy 3 hp tecumseh tuning  (Read 44308 times)

Offline Hammer

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Jiffy 3 hp tecumseh tuning
« Reply #30 on: Apr 03, 2012, 07:00 PM »
http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=187623&size=1
here is a picture of my carb, notice that the low speed is plugged of why is it like this anyone have any info?

Offline Hammer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Apr 03, 2012, 07:07 PM »

trying to figure out this picture uploading.

Offline Hammer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Apr 03, 2012, 07:10 PM »
looks like my carb body is slightly different from yours, i wonder were i can find one like the one you got in your picture with high and low screws. 

I am trying to get things figured out so i am not looking for parts when the snow starts to fly.

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #33 on: Apr 03, 2012, 08:59 PM »
ok this is what you do take a 1/8" drill bit and drill very carefully the until you get through the plug, then hand thread a screw into that hole and get it snug then work back and forth to POP the plug out.  you may need to bottom this screw out and it should pop the cap off as you tighten it, use a hand screw driver.  your low speed screw is under that cap...

Offline Hammer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Apr 03, 2012, 09:27 PM »
right on, that is what i wanted to hear, i have been debating weather or not to pull the plug out.  thanks for your help, i think i will play around with it tomorrow  hopefully i have good. luck.

thanks again

Offline Hammer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Apr 04, 2012, 03:06 PM »
thanks for you help mainedukblaster.  pulled out plug like you said and there was my low speed screw.  the low speed screw was pretty much closed right off.  the old motor starts good now and it idle's which it would never do before. 

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #36 on: Apr 05, 2012, 05:19 PM »
thanks for you help mainedukblaster.  pulled out plug like you said and there was my low speed screw.  the low speed screw was pretty much closed right off.  the old motor starts good now and it idle's which it would never do before.

no prob man..  I had to do some tuning on my jiffy when i switched to AMSOIL sabre 100:1 2cycle mix.  I run mine at 80:1  works great, no smoke... which is a plus

Offline mikeypmcg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Jan 29, 2013, 12:26 PM »
bumping this again for 2013 for anyone attepmting to tune their 3hp jiffy.

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
« Reply #38 on: Jan 31, 2013, 11:04 PM »
thanks for the bump   i was given a jiffy 30 last year but never had enough ice to play with it. i will be bringing it out for the first time saturday. i am going with my friend and his son, he got it on ebay for me. ill play with it tomorrow. it runs good but i need to let it warm for a few minutes or i when i hold full throatle it bogs out. i hope i can get it straight tomorrow to show my friend what he got me is good...
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Feb 02, 2013, 10:30 AM »
thanks for the bump   i was given a jiffy 30 last year but never had enough ice to play with it. i will be bringing it out for the first time saturday. i am going with my friend and his son, he got it on ebay for me. ill play with it tomorrow. it runs good but i need to let it warm for a few minutes or i when i hold full throatle it bogs out. i hope i can get it straight tomorrow to show my friend what he got me is good...

best to tune it on the ice as the settings are temp dependent.  All motors need a decent warmup time before they run really well but if it is really taking a long time put a new spark plug in it.  Also, don't start messing with the settings until you've warmed it up a bit.  Bring a long skinny flathead screwdriver out on the ice with you to help with the adjustments!

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #40 on: Feb 02, 2013, 11:58 AM »
best to tune it on the ice as the settings are temp dependent.  All motors need a decent warmup time before they run really well but if it is really taking a long time put a new spark plug in it.  Also, don't start messing with the settings until you've warmed it up a bit.  Bring a long skinny flathead screwdriver out on the ice with you to help with the adjustments!

I second this, the way I tuned mine was I kept the blade guard on and found a big snow bank and climbed up, started the auger had it burrow into the snowbank ( with guard on to provide some resistance when setting the high speed screw..  this provided some great looks from the neighbor but My Jiffy RIPPED when I was drilling thick ice.. and it transitioned into the high torque "cutting gear" you can hear on those Jiffys very nicely

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Feb 02, 2013, 01:48 PM »
screwdrivers in my box... thanks for the advice.  whats the plug#???

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Feb 03, 2013, 11:56 AM »
whats the plug#???

Champion RJ-17LM or equivalent 0.030 gap

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Feb 04, 2013, 09:09 PM »
thanks.   this auger is MY first and was a gift that i didnt get to use last year so it has been sitting for a long time.

had it on the ice sunday and got to be thankful for the info i got on here! it wouldnt run for c*** but i got out the screwdrive and reset it and got it running pretty good. now i just need to change the butterknife to a blade and see how it runs, lol

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Feb 06, 2013, 04:33 PM »
I second this, the way I tuned mine was I kept the blade guard on and found a big snow bank and climbed up, started the auger had it burrow into the snowbank ( with guard on to provide some resistance when setting the high speed screw..  this provided some great looks from the neighbor but My Jiffy RIPPED when I was drilling thick ice.. and it transitioned into the high torque "cutting gear" you can hear on those Jiffys very nicely
I love when the gov opens up and it hits high gear! I bet yours hits it before halfway through the hole by setting it like you do.  ;)
Fishin red lines

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #45 on: Feb 06, 2013, 05:51 PM »
I love when the gov opens up and it hits high gear! I bet yours hits it before halfway through the hole by setting it like you do.  ;)
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Feb 06, 2013, 09:36 PM »
Its like pushing nos when that kicks in no better sound on the ice imo! ;D
Fishin red lines

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.