Author Topic: Kokanee Salmon  (Read 14131 times)

raleigh

Kokanee Salmon
« on: Feb 09, 2004, 06:14 PM »
What is a good bait to catch Kokanee Salmon through the ice and, What kinda jig set up do you use.

Offline Sasquatch

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Kokanee Salmon
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2004, 02:08 PM »
I'll be interested in seeing the replies.  I learned recently that a lake that I fish is stocked with kokanee so I did a little research.  From what I can tell they are hard to catch. Here's a link to an article that I found helpful (helpful by convincing me not to target them).  http://www.activeangler.com/articles/freshwater/articles/salmon/luhr_jensen/kokanee.asp.  Good luck.

Offline hardwaterJames

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2004, 04:56 PM »
Great article trouser trout, thanks for putting it up 

:) ;D http://www.activeangler.com/articles/freshwater/articles/salmon/luhr_jensen/kokanee.asp

Offline Powder River

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2004, 07:23 PM »
Really they are not that hard to catch.  It probably has more to do with stocking density in the lake your fishing.  Actually here (Wyoming) we run into alot most days.    We actually don't fish much for them, but have had excellent luck using white tube jigs (1" crappie version).  Also the smallest swedish pimple works well.  Here are a few neat things to know. The kokanee salmon is actually a smaller landlocked version of the Sockeye salmon (they share the same scientific name Oncorhynchus nerka)  They are much smaller 14"-20" and 1-3 pounds being common.  However, they may reach up to 26" and 6 pounds.  It should also be pointed out that like most salmon after they spawn they die.  Out here there is no successful reproduction in lakes (spawn toward end of November and early December).  Although they try (caught 60 fish in 2 hours under the ice, in four feet of water!)  This lack of natural reproduction could lead you to believe that they are hard to catch (depending on your states stocking plans).  So thats something to consider.  Also since winter gives way to uniform water tempratures across a lake basin these fish are able to roam areas that they were unable to during warmer monthes.  So you will have to search more.  The diet of Kokanee mostly consists of aquatic invertebrates, like "Daphnia zooplankton".  This small prey preference can make the bite tough. (On saturday I watch a kokanee hit the knot were my flourocarbon leader attached to the main line for 10 mins.)  So I hope this info may have helped.  Like I stated before numbers of fish in your lake probably will determine your success. 

Powder River

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2004, 10:23 PM »
King salmon, and silver salmon are also stocked in alaska at least, and probably in other states.  Some people also refer to these as kokanee, although they are not techniacally kokanee.(me and my dad had a big argument on this one)lol.  Anyway I haven't fished for true kokanee, but i have for kings and silvers...very aggressive and will hit about anything smaller than them.

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2004, 04:52 PM »
I have fished them in both Washington st. and Colorado.  Found them both hard and easy to catch at times.  PowderRiver is right on the money with what he posted!!! ;)  Sounds like he knows his Kokes!   8)
Jake, these landlocked sockeyes look stunning in thier spawning colors once they migrate upstream, (just like our reds, but 1/4th the size.) 
I would follow PowderRivers directions on catching these fish, but here is some additional ammo if needed.  I have found that Kokes are easier to catch if you micro-size your gear.  Small lines, smaller baits, and sensitive rods like noodle rods are good insurance.  I had used olive beadhead fly patterns tipped with a single maggot.  2# test, a couple fly split shot, and the smallest Thill slip bobber due to the depth at which the fish were generally found, (5-45 ft. of water.)  I have also used a single red gamagatsu egg hook baited with two maggots or one egg.   
I must admit that Kokes were a lot easier to catch while trolling in soft water!  I have some killer rigs for these guys, but this is a hardwater forum and I won't go there.
One more thing.  "IF" it's legal to chum your favorite lake DO IT!!!  Some Kokes like chum and can be kept around your hole for a fair amount of time. 

Recipe for Koke chum:
3 cups of crushed oats
2 lbs. of salmon eggs (half of them crushed)
as many crushed egg shells as you can get
2 oz. bait scent of various tastes (I like sand shrimp flavor and or baitfish flavor)
1 can fishermen's blend cat food
Try to avoid the use of corn due to it's digestability, oats are o.k. and digest well, (cleans them out and helps the ol' salmon colon flowing.)
Chumming is not for everyone, but it can produce numbers in lakes that are lower in population density.  Since Kokes are more of a zooplankton feeders, they can be a bigger challenge to catch than rainbows.  Then again, they can be caught by the dozens.  ;D Good luck! -Barleydog
TEAM ALASKA

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2004, 04:55 PM »
The kokanee in some of the lakes in up-state NY act stupid from spring until early summer...
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

raleigh

« Reply #7 on: Feb 16, 2004, 05:19 PM »
Thanks guys, I am going to Blue Mesa tomarrow and i will let you know how i did. Oh and where do i get my hands on 2 pounds of Salmon eggs ? I read the chum recipe and are egg shels biodegratible ?

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 17, 2004, 11:42 PM »
DOn't know!  Salmon eggs are easy to come by in most western states.  If you can't get them.  Pro-cure makes premade and cured vacuum sealed packs you can buy.  You can substitute other bait like ground minnows, suckers, chubs, etc.... in place of salmon eggs.  I imagine egg shells are biodegradible.  They breakdown after time in the compost pile. 
TEAM ALASKA

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.