The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Still having trouble with keeping bait  (Read 1942 times)

Offline shybeaver

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Still having trouble with keeping bait
« Reply #30 on: Jan 08, 2009, 07:52 PM »
I would start with a water conditioner, regardless of the water source. 

I think you have something contaminating your water.

Good Luck

Offline BrownTroutBoy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Jan 08, 2009, 07:54 PM »
Is their chemicals that can kill them used to make what you keep them in?... Dont bleach it ater the season... woops

Offline Icebound

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 08, 2009, 08:06 PM »
#1 Never use soap or any solvents to clean your bait tank, the residue is hard to get rid of.
#2 If you think your well water is a problem use pond water. It has nutrients that feed them and keep them happy.
#3 Keep them cold! Lowers their metabolism and keeps them alive longer. A few ice cubes once in a while adds o2 and gives them a chill.
Works for me...........

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #33 on: Jan 08, 2009, 08:20 PM »
My tank has never had any soaps or bleach in it. It's stored in a cold area and I have two air pumps going now. I think it must be the water and the species of minnow.
Steve

Offline Icebound

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 08, 2009, 08:26 PM »
My tank has never had any soaps or bleach in it. It's stored in a cold area and I have two air pumps going now. I think it must be the water and the species of minnow.

May be the water. Try pond water if you have a couple 5gal buckets to get it in..........

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #35 on: Jan 08, 2009, 08:43 PM »
i still say to try a water treatment product. you can find it at any large tackle store. i've been using this stuff for years, and it's not expensive. i've used it all over new york state, and we have every kind of water you could imagine.
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline robbfishing

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Jan 08, 2009, 09:21 PM »
PET STORE ;D ;)

Offline boooshka

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 10, 2009, 09:40 PM »
I am having the same problem. I am trying to keep them in my 5gl bait bucket because the girlfriend took over my bait tank for pet fish. I can't keep bait alive a week. I have tryed well water, pond water, air, no air , and still having problems. Maybe its something wrong with the bucket. Never had any problems with the Tank!

Offline Phoenix

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Jan 11, 2009, 05:01 AM »
I keep mine in the brook behind the house, they told me they like it there ;D

Offline NateDawg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Jan 14, 2009, 09:24 AM »
I would substitute your well water with pond water.  If you're using a regular aerator and adding atmospheric air than you can't put too much in, however do use an air stone because the smaller bubbles will dissolve into the water easier than larger bubbles.  When you use a bubbler you are also adding nitrogen which aids in removing Ammonium which is a byproduct of keeping fish.  Straight O2 has no nitrogen and therefore you will have an Ammonium buildup which will kill off your bait.  Temp is also important because at lower water temps there is a greater ability to hold dissolved oxygen.  If you do use municipal water make sure you treat it with a chemical that treats both chlorine and chloramine as some towns are switching to the latter. 

Offline troutlover

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team Maine
« Reply #41 on: Jan 14, 2009, 09:41 AM »
try keeping it in a small round bait bucket with insulation in a cold area and keep the top off so its open to the air and use a bubble box or stones but dont keep it in all the time it works for me

Offline barkspud

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Real fisherman take children fishing
« Reply #42 on: Jan 14, 2009, 11:01 AM »
did you by them or trap them? if bought them maybe something wrong with them. sometimes a long hard ride to and from pond will stress them hard thus slow die off. if emeralds go through a rapid temp change they get stressed too.
DUDE THAT'S A NICE FISH CAN I USE IT FOR BAIT?     

Fish stories limited too 40'' or 40 minutes wich ever comes first.

Offline mayhem2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Jan 14, 2009, 11:20 AM »
i keep mine in a frabill bucket on the outside porch with a air stone. i check the freezing when i walk the dogs.
i used to keep it in a 30 gal inside ( with well water) but they wouldn't acclimate back to the lake. i think because i couldn't cool them fast enough. now they never get warm no more problems any ?  8)
a bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work!

Offline Old Crow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Jan 14, 2009, 11:58 AM »
I use well water and an aerator and shiners do fine.  I have some smelt that last and some that die.  I think sometimes it depends on how hardy the smelt are when you buy them.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.