Author Topic: Hand Held Depth Finders  (Read 1918 times)

Offline Ice Dog 67

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DCB = Delta Bravo
Hand Held Depth Finders
« on: Feb 09, 2004, 02:20 PM »
I've been having bad experiences with the last two models of hand held depth finders that I've purchased and used. 

1.  The new Polar Vision Model - I was only able to get 3-5 readings on the TWO different units of this model before it would no longer read depths.  This happened with brand new batteries as well as older batteries so that wasn't the issue.

2.  Marcum LX-i - The battery cover leaks like a sieve!!!!   Again both units that I tried were good for 7-10 readings before filling with water and rendering the unit useless!!!

My question, has anybody tried the Norcross Hawkeye and or the Vexilar handheld model?  If so what type of results have you gotten?  Also, just like everybody else I'm looking for the best prices that I can find.  Found the Norcross for $59.99 but I'm not sure if it's brand new or reconditioned.  Gotta go.  Flag!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!      :'(

Offline Colorado_Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • :-)Reader Beware(-:
Re: Hand Held Depth Finders
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2004, 03:22 PM »
There is a thread on hand held units on the Equipment forum:

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=8445

Take a look there and maybe repeat the question.

"Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job." ~Paul Schullery

Offline kerosenecounty17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • kc17 - NE WI
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2004, 03:59 PM »
Ice Dog - are you actually putting the unit in the water?  I don't know anything about them, and have never seen one, much less used one, but as far as I understand it you're just supposed to set the unit on top of the ice and read right through.  I don't think they're meant to be waterproof.

kero
"An ounce of biology is worth a pound of tackle."

-Gord Pyzer

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2004, 04:37 PM »
I've had my Polar Vision (old model) for about three seasons with no problems. I only submerge the puck in water - not the unit. Besides not reading thru mottled ice (all units have problems with that) the only thing I've had to do has been to replace the batteries. They are not sealed units - they state "waterproof". Usually when it says waterproof it means from splashes or accidental dunkings. Strike Master (Polar Vision) sells an arm to keep the units over the hole but if you look at the picture the unit is above water and just the puck is in the water. I would contact the manufacturer and see what they have to say - maybe they will replace it !
Those who are brave are free ..

Offline Hardguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2004, 08:44 PM »
I also have a Polar vision (3 years old) that has been great! I only put the puck in the water and it does have some problems reading through ice. They tell you to put some water on the ice before taking your measurement.
Good Luck!

Offline DanthefishinMan

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Oh yeah, baby.
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2004, 06:16 AM »
I use the Norcross Hawkeye and have had no problems.  I bought it for $60 and it is new new, not reconditioned.  The Polar Vision unit is engineered by Marcum, so if you don't like the Marcum product don't get the Polar Vision.
Dan

MYKE11

« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2004, 03:42 AM »
I have used the vexilar hand held , does not read threw the ice. But i've only tried a couple of times threw the ice.
 So far its been great

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2004, 11:24 AM »
A buddy of mine has a polar vision, he always carries a bottle of salt water with him. He makes a small puddle on the ice places the unit in the puddle and gets a good reading.
There is nothing in the world I'd rather do than ice fish!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.