Author Topic: Zercom RTS rigging  (Read 40185 times)

Offline IceBob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Zercom RTS rigging
« on: Feb 08, 2004, 08:05 PM »
I did what others suggested and purchased one of the Zercom RTS (refurb.) for $39.  I also purchased a Battery/charger from Cabela's for $24 and a ice fishing flasher/battery holder from Cabela's for $6.00 (Cabela's Bargain Cave). Note:  To get the mounting base off the Zercom there are two tabs on the top side of the base that you squeeze.  The mounting base piece will pop off then.

I took a 16" piece of PVC Conduit( 1"ID/1 5/16OD), A 5 " piece of pipe insulation, and a zip tie and made a "ice-ducer" out of the Zercom Puck type transducer.
Assembly was easy.  Add the pipe insulation to one end of the PVC.  Drill a hole 1/4" up from the other end of the PVC through both sides.  Drill a 7/8" hole through one side of the PVC 1 1/2" up from the other holes.  Feed the transducer connector and wire through the 7/8" hole and out the top of the PVC.  Slide the puck transducer on the bottom of the PVC. (fits just about right).  Put the zip tie through the side hole in the transducer and then through the holes in the PVC pipe and out the other end through the other hole in the transducer..snug up and trim.

Done!!

Here the flasher is showing my Swedish Pimple and ice jig dropper.

I just drop the "ice ducer" in the hole and it levels out.  It floats with about an inch of the pipe insulation above the water line in the hole.

Bob (West Easton, PA) 

Offline duketter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Zercom RTS rigging
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2004, 10:43 AM »
Did you buy that holder at the store or online for $6?  I wonder if there are any left...I can't seem to do a search on them. 

Offline weav11

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I did it all for the brookie, the brookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2004, 08:40 AM »
anyone know where I can get the 12volt and charger? (don't want to wait for a Cabelas shipment!)
Tippy Tundra 1 Weav 0

hoosierdaddy

« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2004, 12:26 PM »
try Gander Mt. they have them. Where do you live? Fetlas in Valparaiso , IN. has them. I'm sure Lunkers in Edwardsville, Mi. has them. Ed Shirleys in the Chicago land area has them.

icepole

« Reply #4 on: Feb 17, 2004, 10:39 PM »
anyone know where I can get the 12volt and charger? (don't want to wait for a Cabelas shipment!)
DEPENDING ON WHERE YOU LIVE ..TRY THE YELLOW PAGES AND FIND A BATTERY COMPANY.  I WENT 2 INTERSTATE BATTERIES AND FOUND ONE FOR $20(12VOLT 4.5MA) BE SURE TO  GET A SEALED LEADCORE BATTERY.  i THEN FOUND AN OLD TRANSFORMER 12DCVOLTS 150MA OUTPUT(PLUG-IN TYPE FOR TOYS ECT). I THEN SPLIT THE WIRES AND ATTACHED SOME ALLIGATOR CLIPS.  THE BATTERY STORE SAID THAT THIS MIGHT TAKE OVERNITE OR A LITTLE LONGER TO CHARGE,BUT THE USEAGE OF THE ZERCOM WOULD TAKE SOME TIME TO DRAIN THE BATTERY.  AND FOR SOMETHING I HAD LAYING AROUND...WHAT THE HEY .... 

bugman-Greg

« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2004, 02:34 AM »
Got one with a charger yesterday at Gander Mt. where I live, only $20.00

Offline duketter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 20, 2004, 07:16 AM »
I am betting that any battery place might carry them.  I think Interstate Batteries(if you have one) has them.  Also, any sporting goods store that carries fishing equipment would have them I believe. 

The Zercom works great, and thanks to IceBob I have a great carrying holder for it! ;D

Offline Riverjet

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 24, 2004, 06:55 PM »
Icebob you don't happen to have cabelas part numbers on those items.

Offline IceBob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 24, 2004, 07:15 PM »
Riverjet,
The battery and charger is IE-016658. Follow the links to fishing then ice fishing.  It's on the bottom of the page.

The sonar holder I found in the clearance room (bargain cave).  I don't see that in the catalog.

Mote1977 just posted a picture of his set-up on the PA General Board.  He used one of the Blue Genz boxes.

Bob
Bob (West Easton, PA) 

Offline Riverjet

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 24, 2004, 07:40 PM »
Found it. Thanks  Keep up the good work on the perch. U the man.

kaptainkosmic

« Reply #10 on: Feb 28, 2004, 11:04 PM »
where did you get the zercom for $40? cat. # if you can remember? on a related subject i have a hummingbird super 30 that got hooked up in reverse polarity, ouch! does anyone know who might still work on it. hummingbird doesn't want to mess with it. thanks!

Offline LoveIce

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 29, 2004, 08:14 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D E-BAY ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
YOU DONT HAVE A FLASHER what are you nuts.

Offline IceBob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 29, 2004, 03:44 PM »
You could try ebay....when I was trying to get mine everyone was bidding too high...

You can buy it from the company that is selling them on ebay for $39 with FREE SHIPPING.

People were bidding into the $40's and then still had to pay $7.95 shipping...

Here's the link
http://store.yahoo.com/excess-tech/finlitspecpu.html

Bob (West Easton, PA) 

Offline LoveIce

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Mar 01, 2004, 09:41 PM »
Icebob what do you have for a flasher

Offline IceBob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #14 on: Mar 09, 2004, 10:35 AM »
Stopped by Cabela's in Hamburg, PA on Sunday, March 7th.  They had 4 of the plastic sonar holders in the Bargain Cave in the 1st aisle past the electronics counter.  They were $5.59 discounted from $19.00.
Bob (West Easton, PA) 

Offline Riverjet

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #15 on: Mar 14, 2004, 05:31 PM »
Icebob may be a stupid question but how do you seperate the bottom plate from the zercom to get to the mounting holes.

Offline IceBob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #16 on: Mar 15, 2004, 08:03 PM »
That's right...I was prying with a screwdriver when I "accidentally" squeezed the tabs and the base popped off.  Sorry...I will go back to my original post and add that..
Bob (West Easton, PA) 

Offline Riverjet

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #17 on: Mar 27, 2004, 07:22 AM »
Thanks guys Finally grabbed the tabs by accident and the base came off. Funny they say nothing about this in the manual.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #18 on: Sep 30, 2004, 05:15 PM »
glad to hear the zerc made it through...maybe when you put it away again you should try the attic ::)

Offline sbfPA_Mike

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 19, 2004, 06:30 PM »
Just a heads up,  these units are for sale on EBAY.  I just bought one for $36 including shipping.
I don't like it here, so I will probably be here for a while.........
 @ www.iceshanty.com  @ www.myfishfinder.com
 @ www.myhuntingforum.com[/si

Offline seaice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Nov 27, 2004, 09:08 PM »
I just received my Zercom RTS today. Got it off Ebay last week. I cant wait to get it set up. I'm picking up a battery & charger from Cabelas and I'm going to use a vex carrier or build a simple carrier.  ;D

For those of you who have an Zercom RTS, are you using it for locating lakers? How does it prefrom in water 30 to 60 feet deep?  Does anyone have addtional pics of there Zercom RTS set ups?

Offline duketter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #21 on: Dec 01, 2004, 01:12 PM »
I got mine at the end of last year and used it a few times in water from 15-30feet deep.  It worked really good.  Well worth the $60 or so I spent on it.  I am just curious on people who have upgraded to a vex how much of a difference it makes?  Anyone?  I can see my bait and what I think are fish on my zercom by lines on the screen.  Also good for checking depth of the water.  But what makes a vex that much better?  Worth it to upgrade? 

You won't be disappointed in your zercom.

Offline Tholl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 12, 2004, 01:30 PM »
Icebob, do you have any more pictures of a closer view of the ducer end, if you could take like 4 pics of like the bottom view a close side view that would be great! It's just that I am looking to buy one and dont want to mount it on an angle! Thanks, e-mail there to [email protected] if you can.
-Tholl

P Gottshall

« Reply #23 on: Dec 13, 2004, 06:34 PM »
Tholl,

A (very) similar idea I documented.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=15327.0

Paul

Offline duketter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #24 on: Dec 16, 2004, 11:09 AM »
NEVERMIND--for some reason your first picture you have didn't show up but now I see it.  I understand what you did and am going to try it out.  Icebob, could you post a closer view of your ice ducer set up with the pvc pipe.  Like how it is at the end where the ducer is connected to the pipe.  Last year I used a different setup but would like to change it to how you have it!

Thanks

Offline jp

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 18, 2004, 10:59 AM »
I got an rts last year. I like it alot. this is what i did to the transducer. it hangs down the hole like an ice ducer.

Offline Tholl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 19, 2004, 06:42 PM »
jp- what did you do to that, it looks awesome, is that home made or is that bought!? Thanks
-Tholl

Offline LoveIce

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #27 on: Dec 19, 2004, 06:48 PM »
JP didnt you give your RTS away to the DIEHARDS  ???

Offline jp

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Dec 19, 2004, 10:13 PM »
loveice- not me. but if it were me i would have gone to get it back by now. the only thing that i gave them was $10. dollars in dues and a handfull of jigs that i made. its not worth the gas money to get that back.

Offline jp

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Dec 19, 2004, 10:17 PM »
Tholl- I have made a new cone for my transducer I made it out of metal to be a little heavier to make it set more level in the water. the extra weight also helps to take the kinks out of the cord. I will post a pic of it as soon as i get a chance.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.