Author Topic: making noise on the ice  (Read 1620 times)

nuke1neil

making noise on the ice
« on: Feb 08, 2004, 01:49 PM »
I see different comments about being quiet on the ice.I've never noticed an effect.So many times fish will turn on and off at a moments notice when everything is quiet.I feel this happens and people blame it on noise.I could see it with walleyes,they seem to be spookier.I've drilled many holes and started catching right away.think about trolling during open water in shallow spots.that seems to work.I guess my point is if I'm out with my young kids having a good time and somebody asks us to quiet down,they will probably be asked nicely to go pound ice.

fishguts.

Re: making noise on the ice
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2004, 01:56 PM »
i have seen it in perch were we would have a big school rite under the shanty and on of us make a noise and wamm there gone. but they did come back after a few mins

pa ice man

« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2004, 03:30 PM »
Some man got pised at me driling holes with a power auger i was at the spot first catching fish you know how it is told them just watch driled 3 more holes got fish right away thay wear pised thay dint catch anty thing all day i got 50 plus fish  i think some times it helps

Offline olds-Pa

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2004, 04:09 PM »
I generally try to keep it quiet while i'm fishing for walleye at night in shallow water.. That's just my preference. Far be it from me to tell anyone else to be quiet. When they fire up their power augers or do anything else to make noise, i like to believe that they might be spooking the fish my way. On the same token i've had flags go up while i'm crunching my way along the ice. Who knows ? Maybe noise is good sometimes. There have been times when the ice sounded like thunder when it was forming more, and the fish did not seem to be bothered.
 Remember when you are fishing on a public lake, you are dealing with the public who have many different views than you.,,,,,,,olds         

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Cant feel what fingers? You still got fingers?
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2004, 04:39 PM »
I've drilled holes for bass, looked in the hole right after drillin and spoted bass with the vex.  Droped a pimple  in front of him and up it comes. Worked with crapie as well when the bite is on. Drill and snatch, no problem. Now trout, thats another thing all together...... 8)
I wish I was in heaven sittin down..........on a 5 gallon pail!

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2004, 07:12 AM »
Could be true but last week when the fish wern't on the fishfinder screen I took my skimmer hit the ice a few times and in seconds fish were seen. Just a coincidence? Who knows, but it worked everytime.
Cold Feet

Offline Penguin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice fishermen walk on water!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2004, 07:24 AM »
I haven't noticed anything with perch, but I've watched bluegills in shallow water disappear when someone walks by wearing cleats. It happened several times one day, I'd be looking down the hole, working them closer, and suddenly gone. Crappies at night will spook easily, too, if they're not in an aggressive mood.

Offline 2 dogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2004, 08:17 AM »
I am now a firm believer in slow on the ice. Setting on flowage in 20 foot of water and moron in bright red dodge full size 4wd pickup pulling a shany hits the ice and is booking by us doing at least 50. We see the ice rise in front of this guy like some sort of wave and water shoots up a good 6 inches out of our holes. Did I mention he had a full load of firewood in the box and a couple of guys in the cab. This was all on 8 inches of ice that we walked out on. His was the only vehicle on the ice. You could actually see the ice move in front and behind this guy as he roared over it. They stopped 100 yards away and set the shanty and mostly drank all day. How come he did not go in is beyond me. When they left did so again at about 50mph but this time about 35 feet from shore broke through in about 8 feet of water. They got out but PU not so lucky. The wrecker guy said ice gave because of wave hitting the shore ahead of them with a load of energy from their speed.  The point is though that we had a half dozen flags within a few minutes of his tidal wave. Did the activity set off some sort of a feeding cycle by the fish or was it just a coincidence? :-\

Good thing about prisons- they reduce the potential number of fisherman on the ice!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.