Author Topic: The Marmish Verticle Fishing System is A JOKE.  (Read 19970 times)

Offline Walks on Water

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: The Marmish Verticle Fishing System
« Reply #30 on: Jan 05, 2009, 05:55 PM »
I've seen the Marmish rods in the store, but never used one.  My understanding is that beyond their small size, the main attraction is the sensitivity.  If this is so, I'm wondering is there any real sensitivity difference between a Marmish and a spring bobber?  I've used those for finicky perch and they show the tiniest little bump(as shown by watching on the AquaV screen).  Also, the spring bobber can be used on any rod.  I'm not trying to be difficult, but am I missing something?

WoW

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #31 on: Jan 05, 2009, 06:03 PM »
Its not just the sensitivity guys its also that important thing called presentation. Try vibrating a lure on your spring bobber.....its just not the same. I'm glad everyone doesn't like them because if everyone had one I would have a harder time winning so many fishing derbies ;)

Offline ChillerThriller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 05, 2009, 07:44 PM »
Just because you dont like it doesnt mean its a piece of crap. Stubbourn uninformed people can say all they want and rant and rave on the internet, and no one can stop them. One person doesnt like them out of about ten or so who replied to this thread. Use your rod if you want, if it makes you happy great that is awesome but personal preference doesnt make it crap. I dont like Molson Canadian beer, lots people do, just because i dont like it doesnt mean its garbage. If you dont want to learn how to use the marmish thats great, its just not crap.

Offline Hardwater Problem

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Jan 05, 2009, 08:08 PM »
Just because you dont like it doesnt mean its a piece of crap. Stubbourn uninformed people can say all they want and rant and rave on the internet, and no one can stop them. One person doesnt like them out of about ten or so who replied to this thread. Use your rod if you want, if it makes you happy great that is awesome but personal preference doesnt make it crap. I dont like Molson Canadian beer, lots people do, just because i dont like it doesnt mean its garbage. If you dont want to learn how to use the marmish thats great, its just not crap.
I went to the French River to my in-laws cabin this summer for fishing and failed to cash in my life savings to properly supply myself with beer.  I would have drank zima's up there if somebody had any!!!  Isn't not liking Molson in Canada a cardinal sin???  Sorry I got off topic.  I tend to agree with you, I hope I didn't upset anybody that religiously uses a Pak Shak.  I think that Big Monkey just want's to liven up a thread...  No Worries...  we still get to fish, no matter what darn pole you use!!!
IF YOU CAN'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, GO GET IN FRONT OF THEM!!!     

Offline ArcticWilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 05, 2009, 09:48 PM »
For the guys that do use this system and have luck with it... do you use their lures or others, what do you find works best for you, and if you are using their lures do you bait them and with what, they seem pretty small!

Offline ChillerThriller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 05, 2009, 10:38 PM »
I use their lures, Custom Jigs and Spins lures, fiskas and a bunch of others, whatever is working. The mid size and large size of marmish lures is what i use most but if the fish get finicky i use the smallest size. Tip with 1-3 maggots and your laughing.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #36 on: Jan 06, 2009, 06:32 AM »
For the guys that do use this system and have luck with it... do you use their lures or others

I use marmish lures with the rod for the most part...the lures are weighted to work with the different tips and they are decent shapes...but they dont hold up well with pliers.

Offline D-Baller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Jan 06, 2009, 08:51 PM »
Im ganna wager a guess that Monkey was out fishing with someone that had a marmish. Its OK to watch your buddy pull in fish while you get the skunk. Were here for you brother.

Offline big Monkey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Jan 06, 2009, 09:09 PM »
Marmish has not created anything here, people have been pulling fish up by hand for generations, the Simplicity that you say Marmish offers has been around as long as ice fishing has been around, using a notched stick, spool with bare fingers, or spring bobbers on light tackle rods, will catch you just as much fish if not more than a Marmish, it all depends on the Variables of the day, its not always the technology its the fisherman/technique. I know people who went from sticks to regular rods and reels and basically make the same argument as you obsessed Marmish fans, they prefer the simplicity and easy handling of something simpler and feel more comfortable that they can pull out more fish, and i've seen many people fishing with sticks, that out fish people using rods and reels, and i've seen it the other way around. My argument is for  $2.00 worth of plastic materials Marmish is making a killing of a profit when charging $25.00, if u want something simple and small that fits in your pocket for pulling and hand fighting fish you can probably make your own for a lot less than Marmish charges for a Reused Technology that’s been around for years.  

Offline happy perch fisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 06, 2009, 09:28 PM »
Marmish has not created anything here, people have been pulling fish up by hand for generations, the Simplicity that you say Marmish offers has been around as long as ice fishing has been around, using a notched stick, spool with bare fingers, or spring bobbers on light tackle rods, will catch you just as much fish if not more than a Marmish, it all depends on the Variables of the day, its not always the technology its the fisherman/technique. I know people who went from sticks to regular rods and reels and basically make the same argument as you obsessed Marmish fans, they prefer the simplicity and easy handling of something simpler and feel more comfortable that they can pull out more fish, and i've seen many people fishing with sticks, that out fish people using rods and reels, and i've seen it the other way around. My argument is for  $2.00 worth of plastic materials Marmish is making a killing of a profit when charging $25.00, if u want something simple and small that fits in your pocket for pulling and hand fighting fish you can probably make your own for a lot less than Marmish charges for a Reused Technology that’s been around for years.  
LOL monkey it probaby costs around 5 dollars to make. Then the company that sells it and transportation probably add another 10 to that. So they probably make less then 10. I dealt u could make anything close to it without spending aleast 4-5 hours. Also if u study the marmish system there is a easy way to palm drag it with it. Lol monkey your 25 dollar ice fishing combos are ussually junk anyhow. Considering a decent reel with drag cost around 40 bucks alone. I did'nt use marmish at all i did'nt like it but i know they do work and they do have a palm drag system.

Offline ArcticWilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Jan 06, 2009, 10:11 PM »
Well guys you forced my hand, I hate taking sides so I figured why not buy the darn thing and see for myself, either it will be GREAT, or a rip off, or good some times, not good others and go with all the rest of my ice fishing stuff...lol

I could not find one in town, fishing hole said they had six on order but didn't know when they were showing up, so i ordered them direct from Marmish with some lures.... all good so far, paid $12 dollars shipping and their located in Edmonton same as me, so that's sorta a rip... so that should make you all happy so far shipping was a rip off so big monkey was right about the expense thing, just have to wait and see if it catches anything too see about the rest of ya! Will keep you posted!

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Jan 06, 2009, 11:54 PM »
The only problem I have about hand over hand with the line in a shanty would be tangle and getting a knot. ???
Gator Nation

Offline Logan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The "Ling King"
« Reply #42 on: Jan 07, 2009, 10:50 AM »
Marmish fisherman know why its a great finesse fishing system and that its downsizing abilities, presentation and ability to pick up on even the lightest of bites is second to none. Your right Monkeyman it does seem to have a steep price when you look at what you get in size and what its made up of BUT why would you argue its results when fished properly? $25 for something thats going to give me the edge catching fish on those days when the fish aren't aggressive and are hard to catch, Ill take two please. My fingers are callused to all hell from working and Ill bet the Marmish can show me things my over worked fingers cant when its -25 out.

Your argument about not getting what you pay for does not hold much if any merit in my eyes, by that mentality you shouldn't buy a Rapala for $7 you should buy a tub of minnows for $3, you get more. You shouldn't spend $11 for Fireline you should spend $3 for 500yrdsvof house brand mono you get more and they are the same thing.

Unless you try the product all you can and will ever do is speculate on its worth.
My wife told me that if I go ice fishing again she'll leave me. God, I'm going to miss her! :D

Offline ryanlookingforperch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Jan 07, 2009, 05:41 PM »
I find it never matters what I am using to fish for perch....I stick to my Grandpa's #1 Rule:

"NO, No, Ryan....Just let the line hang over your finger...you'll feel the little buggers".

if the "tug" back, is huge...then I pick up the rod...and let the drag do the work.

I have a Marmish VFS.  It is alright, for what it is intended to do IMO.  I am ALWAYS trying to use my fingers, so it or any other type of rods "indication" isn't that important.  Then again I have never tip up'd for perch either...and I saw that the other day...

to each his own, huh?

Good PERCHIN' all!
“The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope”

Offline big Monkey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Jan 07, 2009, 11:22 PM »
LOL monkey it probaby costs around 5 dollars to make. Then the company that sells it and transportation probably add ...

Yeah i didn't say it costs 2 dollars for Marmish to make there Verticle Fishing system, i said its got $2.00 worth of plastic in it, please read next timebefore you start typing stuff. Manufacturing costs and Materials equals 5 dollars okay so 2 dollars and some of materials and 2 dollars in some for labour about, good estimate huh i used your theory. What ever makes u happy, they still make a killing of a profit on it compared to a high quality Rod and Reel. When comes down to purchasing High Quality rods and reels you just got to do a little bit of home work some rods and reels for $25 are junk, I've seen some junky looking rods at Walmart , I seen a rapala rod and reel that was pretty much falling apart, those guys make lures but they sure cant make Rods and Reels. But for the most part Rod and Reels for the $25 range are a deceint buy, a better buy than a Marmish, if you know where to shop places like Fishing Hole and what to look for in a rod and reel You can still buy a deceint rod and reel for $25, or just buy a rod and attach that $40 dollar reel you use in the summer for casting, it will work well my son it will work well. :)

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Jan 07, 2009, 11:44 PM »
LOL monkey it probaby costs around 5 dollars to make. Then the company that sells it and transportation probably add ...

Yeah i didn't say it costs 2 dollars for Marmish to make there Verticle Fishing system, i said its got $2.00 worth of plastic in it, please read next timebefore you start typing stuff. Manufacturing costs and Materials equals 5 dollars okay so 2 dollars and some of materials and 2 dollars in some for labour about, good estimate huh i used your theory. What ever makes u happy, they still make a killing of a profit on it compared to a high quality Rod and Reel. When comes down to purchasing High Quality rods and reels you just got to do a little bit of home work some rods and reels for $25 are junk, I've seen some junky looking rods at Walmart , I seen a rapala rod and reel that was pretty much falling apart, those guys make lures but they sure cant make Rods and Reels. But for the most part Rod and Reels for the $25 range are a deceint buy, a better buy than a Marmish, if you know where to shop places like Fishing Hole and what to look for in a rod and reel You can still buy a deceint rod and reel for $25, or just buy a rod and attach that $40 dollar reel you use in the summer for casting, it will work well my son it will work well. :)
Jeez big monkey...  I think somebody needs a hug!!!

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Jan 08, 2009, 08:27 AM »
I wasn't going to get involved, but here goes with a quick business lesson.
-There may be only $2 (or $5) worth of plastic involved in the rods, the cost comes from the overhead of operating a business. You've got at least 3 different molded plastic parts in the rod, each requiring a separate mold. Each mold can run from $10,000 to probably close to $50,000, as it's a big chunk of alloy steel, intricately machined and hand polished. Now you have to either contract someone to mold the parts in large runs ( more parts = cheaper price per piece) or buy the molding machine yourself which can run for more than $100,000 for an industrial grade one. Now you've got a whole lot of money invested in a bunch of plastic parts that you have to assemble into rods and try and sell, just to get your money back. Not to mention advertising costs (sponsoring a site like this can't be cheap!) and the fact that these guys need to make some profit to pay the bills, investors, and invest in development for future products, not to mention make some money themselves, after all, they are businessmen and have to eat like the rest of us! Now suddenly the $2 rod is worth a lot more. Given that it's priced right in line with any of a dozen other designs available in any sporting goods store, I think that's quite a feat. This thread does have a bright side, it re-brought this rod to my attention and I actually took a much closer look at it, and have decided to buy 2 for me and the girlfriend. I'll let you know how they work when I get them!
A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Offline burbotman14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Jan 08, 2009, 07:16 PM »
That is the only thing i use for trout and whitefishing. If you have a small lure with little weight it can detect bottom. It can also detect a tiny bite or even when the fish hits it. A good little rod to have if you need space and are packing light. Not to mention I caught my biggest burbot on it, 9.5 pounds. I have also caught many pike on it.

I don't live to fish, I fish to live.

Offline element

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • What do you do with the ice once you catch it?
« Reply #48 on: Jan 08, 2009, 07:24 PM »
That is the only thing i use for trout and whitefishing. If you have a small lure with little weight it can detect bottom. It can also detect a tiny bite or even when the fish hits it. A good little rod to have if you need space and are packing light. Not to mention I caught my biggest burbot on it, 9.5 pounds. I have also caught many pike on it.

What pound test do you have on it? I always carry my marmish a 6" hand auger and a couple hooks in the truck in case I come across a good looking place to fish. But I am always affraid that the 2lb test I have on won't cut it for some of the bigger fish, like pike, walley, or burbot. I would feel much better with maybe something in the 6-12lb test.

Offline kingfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • hastings hero.....liberated 2000
« Reply #49 on: Jan 08, 2009, 07:32 PM »
its all about finesse . you might get more break offs  but you will catch way more fish.

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Jan 08, 2009, 08:20 PM »
I've caught a few 4-5lb pike on 8lb test on my old jigging rod, and most of the time the drag would freeze solid, as well as plenty of trout and even some perch. It seems to be a good compromise of strength without being too thick.
A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Offline Ed_r

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Jan 08, 2009, 09:04 PM »
Hmm Ok Spend $20.00 on a Marmish. Yes I'm sure it did only cost $5.00 to make... Can I make it for $5.00? Nope. Wouldn't want to try. Yes It's very simple, No bearing, no bushings to wear out.

On the other hand you can buy a descent ice rod for what $15.00 Gander mountain rods are about that I call them descent-Good rods. A Jippo ice real $15.00. To get the same sensitivity  and good spring bobber $4.00. The ice rod you wont have issues with, the spring bobber will be ok unless you close the car door on it. Now the Jippo rear with its aluminum can frame, plastic bearings and bushings.

For a hardcore ice fisherman who gets out religiously ( I don't) Will probably get a season or 2 out of the real before it starts getting sloppy, or binds. So you already spent $35.00 on a conventional set up, and possibly have to keep spending another $15.00 every year or 2. I know no big deal, I wouldn't cry over it, nor will I stop using a conventional set up.

For the hardcore and a Mamrish, there are no moving parts. Its small enough to be carried with you at all times. Nothing to wear out. The sensitivity and the ability to give your bait the unique presentation only a Marmish or similar rod can give you. The spring bobber is exceptional on the Marmish. Would I purposely fish for Pike with it, ehhh I dunno. But I also wouldn't purposely fish for pike on my conventional UL set up either.

People really miss the point on what the beauty of this set up is. When the bite is really slammin, it really doesn't matter, cuz the fish will bite regardless. But when your not getting hit on conventional set ups, just think of this. EVEN with your slightest of a jiggle from the reel seat, that may only be moved 1/8th of an inch, by the time it gets to the end of the rod it turns into an inch or 1.5". May not sound like much, but natural insect prey doesn't jiggle that fast,they flutter in place. If you jiggle a Marmish rod 1/8th of an inch at the end of the tiny rod tip, you may get 1/4 -1/2" of movement on the jig, giving the bait a swimming in place motion. This makes a neutral or negative fish come take the bait, more often then something moving more aggressively.

So does Marmish make money off their product? Sure. Aren't they allowed to? I don't see them listed as a charitable organization. Most companies out there are started to MAKE MONEY!!! you know buy low sell high. So is that being a fraud. No.

Is Marmish the only way to go to get the same response? Can you get the same response with a conventional rod and reel?

Just go out buy a reel seat, for you hard core quality guys go buy a St.Criox rod blank. Cut off 2/3rds of the rod and attach the spring bobber. Now you'll have a reel on a 8-10" rod. Would have been easier just to buy the Mamrish.

I just bought my first one this year. My buddies giggled at me. short rod jokes flying everywhere. But who caught the fish? I did. Everyone else said they would see the fish come up and leave, when the fish were actually either not convinced to take it, or hitting so light they couldn't feel it. Where i could. I was sold, and no one cracks jokes anymore when I break it out. Now they know I'm not fooling around.lol.

Offline donkey john

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Jan 08, 2009, 09:17 PM »
If you think it's too expensive don't buy it. Lots of other replys provided some good reasons to have one. I'm hard core, I hit hardwater every weekend. I have more gear than any reasonably sane person should have and I have a couple of Marmish rods. Work good. Too bad you don't want one, they work alright on lots of species.

Offline burbotman14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Jan 08, 2009, 10:52 PM »
I have 6lb test on it. It is thin enough. We caught upwards of 40 whitefish and almost all were caught on the marmish.

I don't live to fish, I fish to live.

Offline big Monkey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Jan 09, 2009, 09:05 PM »
Yes I am glad you finally get it, The Marmish is Simply not worth it compared to the quality,
and materials you get in a Rod and Reel for the same price range. Please dont hug Marmish
the Thieves dont need a hug.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #55 on: Jan 09, 2009, 09:34 PM »
Big Monkey...  you're killin me!!!  I've never met someone who was so pi$$ed off about a pole that they never have used!!!  I have a mickey mouse (LITERALLY A MICKEY MOUSE BRAND) kids pole at home that was literally a piece of garbage.  I was irritated with my purchase, but oh well the kid I was took fishing had a ball and since the reel was junk, he just crappie poled the little bluegills all day.  If somebody else wanted to get a Disney pole, I would certainly advise against it, but that's on them, and I certainly wouldn't spend "days" on a website making sure I was upsetting anybody who successfully used a Disney pole!!!.  I don't understand why you get so much pleasure from bagging on the Marmish.  How are the Marmish guys thieves...  Do you drive???  unless it's a car that you built from scraps of lumber and old lawnmower wheels, and is gravity driven, you were ripped off!!!   You lose like 15% value the second you drive it off the lot...  where does it go????  And now we get to bail out the motor industry.  Take your anger to the General Motors website :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline donkey john

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Jan 09, 2009, 10:05 PM »
He's a troll boys. Trolling for ice fisherman and from the looks of it is way over his limit! ::)  Let's just stop feeding him.

Poor little guy probably lives in his parents basement, eatin' cheez whiz an watching Star Trek. ;D If you are a real ice fisherman monkey why don't you just go fishn'. 

For the rest of us (me included) let's quit feeding the troll.

I'm going fishing. See you's at Gull.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #57 on: Jan 09, 2009, 10:19 PM »
He's a troll boys. Trolling for ice fisherman and from the looks of it is way over his limit! ::)  Let's just stop feeding him.

Poor little guy probably lives in his parents basement, eatin' cheez whiz an watching Star Trek. ;D If you are a real ice fisherman monkey why don't you just go fishn'. 

For the rest of us (me included) let's quit feeding the troll.

I'm going fishing. See you's at Gull.
I was hoping my comment wouldn't irritate any of the fine employees of the General Motor Corp., it's not their fault, but I'm calling you out on the cheese whiz!!!!  I happen to love that stuff!!!  And... original Star Trek was good stuff!!!  Either big Monkey fishes alone, not by choice, or he is a brilliant marketing whiz working for Marmish!!!!  He has been responsible for so many of those things being sold that Marmish should just send him one. I'm done now!!!

Offline 2BIG4U

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #58 on: Jan 10, 2009, 04:24 PM »
I just got back in from a morning fishing. My 7 year old and me were fishing in 6' of water, watching the burbot play with our jig/smelts. caught a couple and my son asked if he could try the Marmish. I set him up with a 1/4 oz jig and a gulp shad, dropped it and the Burbot took off. 30 seconds later he says "Dad this isn't a burbot" I look down his hole and there is the snout of a pike nosing his bait. He jigged a few times and the fish inhaled his lure. He played it like I had told him and he got it up to the hole but I had to lead it up. Nose to tail measured 29". These "toy" rods sure made me a proud papa this morning.

Cheers

Dan.
Take a kid fishing.

Offline ryanlookingforperch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Jan 10, 2009, 05:10 PM »
can not wait til my lil guy is old enough to get out with me.

sounds like a groovy day!!!!

. o 0(man, look at the growth in this thread?>)

. o 0(wonder if i would get as many posts, If I asked for someone to take me for whites...and actually teach me something.

good luck all!!
“The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope”

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.