Author Topic: The Marmish Verticle Fishing System is A JOKE.  (Read 19971 times)

Offline Buck762

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too!
Re: The Marmish Verticle Fishing System is A JOKE.
« Reply #90 on: Jan 29, 2009, 09:38 PM »
I have never used the Marmish rods, I feel that my regular jiggin stick with spining reel is the mort efficient and effective.  Realize though that Marmish is a site sponsor!!

Offline Hardwater Problem

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #91 on: Jan 29, 2009, 11:52 PM »
Mr. Big Monkey....  I just got one, and used it and I stated in an earlier post that when I got it I would give an honest and fair review of it.  Again... I own and use one so my opinion means at least 100% more than yours.  It is really frustrating to me and others that there is no reasonable explanation for the amount of joy you are receiving by bashing a product that you not only have never used but for whatever reason refuse to even try!!!  At least give us a reason.  Help us to understand.  You don't owe us an explanation, but continuing to negatively preach about this product with no baseline experience with one really is a discredit to your character.  I'd like to think that we are all here to make friends and share good information.  Anyhow...  I agree with beergut.  The hinge on the reel of this product is one major design flaw.  You really do have to be careful so as not to flex it too much, it "APPEARS" to be flimsy.  The hinge was never opened and was already gray showing stress.  On the plus side, I was amazed at the amount of thought that went into the actual design of the rest of the pole.  It is simple and compact yet has some cool features that beat the old spool and stick type outfits I have used in the past.  The spring bobber is absolutely one of the best on the market.  I was pulling at least two or three fish to my buddy's one fish on a regular basis.  You have to hand bomb the line after hookup, so obviously best suited for shallow water applications.  Not to say you couldn't fish in deeper water with it, but it presents a challenge.  I love it for jigging for trout and panfish and am very happy with the purchase.  There you go...  unbiased opinion from a user.
IF YOU CAN'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, GO GET IN FRONT OF THEM!!!     

Offline doggbiter

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • They call me Fish
« Reply #92 on: Jan 30, 2009, 12:09 AM »
  Sounds like a P.O.S   to me ???

Why would you even want to try something like this?????????

Just cut a willow-limb and tie a string to it.....much more sophisticated 8)
5 YEAR ICE ADDICT
Busch-Light.......CANS
Blue-toppin.........and lip-rippin
DON'T GET NO BETTER!!

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #93 on: Jan 30, 2009, 05:14 AM »
Ok Marmish We know you read this, give us some light on this hinge deal. Also how about something for deeper water fishing. This is what I would like in the shanty.
Gator Nation

Offline GT66PONY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #94 on: Jan 30, 2013, 06:13 PM »
                      He must be a Democrat
     If a Republican doesn't like guns, he doesn't buy on...e.
If a Democrat doesn't like guns, he wants all guns outlawed.

Offline misterice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #95 on: Jan 30, 2013, 08:33 PM »
I laugh at marmish rods and the people that used them for years,By the way money marmish style rods have been around for just about as long
as sticks... :icefish: That was until I was fishing at a little pond and could not get a bite another fisherman was fishing about 50 ft away with a marmish rod ....lolol right.... after he limited out and left.....WHAT!  I tried his hole still nothing, I started talking to a few people about marmish style rods and found out that it is not only the rod but the way you use it. You can send vibrations down the line to the jig that you just cant do with other rods.
So you guessed it I bought one now i'm no expert but i have had some luck with it,I still use my regular rods but if the fish don't want to cooperate then i dig it out and some times it saves the day.............far from a joke

Offline swampy45

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • going for the record books
« Reply #96 on: Jan 30, 2013, 09:13 PM »
Funny this topic popped up today... Just picked up another marmish rod...
coffee- do stupid things faster, with more energy.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #97 on: Jan 30, 2013, 09:19 PM »
I guess this necropost is gonna grow legs... I used a Marmish on Sat night fishing crappies.

It was a TOUGH bite to say the least.

Final tally, me 13 fish.... Guy next to me with a really high end rod, 4.... We were in 50 feet of water too, it was still worth it. I love them.

Offline gooner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • stay warm, safe and tight lines
« Reply #98 on: Jan 30, 2013, 09:58 PM »
I own one I haven't really used it much yet but I have out fished everyone around me when I use it. Before I got my marmish I wasn't to sure about them. But I am a marmish guy now. 
Tight lines and big fish

Offline imgonnamissher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #99 on: Jan 31, 2013, 12:25 AM »
Bought a Marmish rod this year too. just haven't had a chance to try it out yet. Might head out to Burnstick Friday or Chain Lakes. Haven't decided yet. Does anyone put a maggot on the end of the Marmish fishing lure? or do you fish it bare? :tipup: :icefish:
When Hell Freezes over........I'll Ice Fish there too!    <><   <*}}}><     <><   <>< <><

Offline gooner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #100 on: Jan 31, 2013, 07:14 AM »
I have always used it bare
Tight lines and big fish

Offline crazy_chef

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #101 on: Jan 31, 2013, 07:42 PM »
I have had success bare and tipped with a maggot,  but I prefer to tip with the maggot.  it looks good on there, with the action the spring bobber adds it looks like a little tail twitching and it drives the perch nuts. 
Gone fishin', be back at dark-thirty!

Offline iceman0000

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #102 on: Feb 01, 2013, 02:21 AM »
Have used Marmish for the past 3 Years , works very well for me on Whites and other FISh in shallower waters

Offline Jim_MI

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #103 on: Nov 25, 2014, 09:09 PM »
In reading through this old post, it reminded me of a marketing guy who once told me that when you go to the hardware store to buy a drill, it is not really a drill that you want, but a hole.  Marmish & St. Croix are just different drills in that regard.  If Marmish catches more fish for whatever reason, then it is "better".  My experience with shallow perch, crappie and gills certainly supports that.  My only complaint with the Marmish is that I would love to be able to use it  50-60 ft down where the whitefish are found around here. Hard to do with no good way to keep all that hand-retrieved line from tangling when fishing inside a one-man flipover on a windy day. 

Offline swampy45

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • going for the record books
« Reply #104 on: Nov 25, 2014, 11:31 PM »
marmish is the god send for whites.
coffee- do stupid things faster, with more energy.

Offline gooner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #105 on: Nov 26, 2014, 01:19 PM »
marmish is the god send for whites.

I agree
Tight lines and big fish

Offline Shotgun

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #106 on: Nov 26, 2014, 03:05 PM »

Buy a quality ice rod and you will feel the same ultra lite bites that the Marmish rod detects.

Then put on a decent reel with a; drag and that 20 plus pounder is not going to be a problem

Offline oldcountry

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #107 on: Nov 27, 2014, 09:59 PM »

Buy a quality ice rod and you will feel the same ultra lite bites that the Marmish rod detects.

Then put on a decent reel with a; drag and that 20 plus pounder is not going to be a problem
I respectfully disagree. Why would you use a 20lbs setup for whitefish? Some guys could play a whole round with a putter and you can hammer with a wrench. A versatile tool is often good to get you by, but a specialty tool gets the job done.
Guys who target whites don't anticipate 20 pound fish when using #16 wire worms etc...anyways.
Not trying to be a jerk or negative in anyway.

Offline Shotgun

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #108 on: Nov 28, 2014, 11:06 AM »
6lb braided line and you are set for that large fish that may just decide it wants a taste of your offering.

You wind up hand balming the thing in with that set up so why bother. Just use a line with your wireworm  save yourself a few bucks.

Also do not want to sound negative but I think the subject heading hits the nail on the head.

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fun n Games Til Someone loses a Walleye
« Reply #109 on: Dec 01, 2014, 01:00 PM »
You could do what I do and attach a marmish bite indicator to one or two of your ice rods. I do prefer reeling em up to hand lining.
I just set the rod across my lap and tickle up a bite. reel em up and get the hook back in the water ASAP. I have attached st croix indicators to a few rods as well but The marmish bite indicators have a larger range of adjustability from tiny micro jigs to decent size perch and walleye spoons. I never did like hand lining so I won't use a tipup either. I will use a jawjacker or home made slammer for my deadstick. Like one of my buddies always says using a tipup for fishing is like using a snare to hunt moose.  J/K to each his own have fun out there.

Old fishermen never die, they just smell that way.

Offline John AB

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #110 on: Dec 01, 2014, 11:35 PM »
I thought they were a joke too until I tried one; now I never leave home without it lol. They do have limitations & you can't toss them around like you can a hearty little graphite rod but they are great little tools. Fishing side-by-side with people using traditional rods (while perch fishing anyway), I can easily detect twice as many light takes with the Marmish. I know you can attach a strike indicator or even a Marmish tip to a rod but the difference seems to be the overall length of the device you are using; even with a Marmish tip a traditional rod is too long to keep it from jiggling or quivering whereas the Marmish rod is short enough to keep almost dead still.

This is important because I have fished several times for perch in Southern Alberta when even the jumbos were biting soooo light, the only way you could tell they were taking was the indicator tip would slowly go from slightly hanging, to sitting straight out neutral with no weight on the line indicating a perch had sucked in the jig & was just sitting there. I have never been able to detect that with a hand line or held a 18"-26" rod still enough ,indicator or not,  to notice when it happens consistantly.

Marmish rods will never replace jigging rods, nor should they, but they are a heck of a great tool to have in the arsenal!
I fish therefore I am...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.