Author Topic: how long you been tipupin?  (Read 1512 times)

fishguts.

how long you been tipupin?
« on: Feb 06, 2004, 07:44 PM »
me i started arounf 1967 with my dad. used to be hard running tipups alls we had was a spud, gottta find a good fresh crack in the ice to start your hole then it went a little easyer.but it was still a lot of work with a foot or two of ice. then my dad got one of them s :)pon augers we thought that was great till we got a sprial one. then finnaly a gas auger. any body ever used to run tipups with a spud?

Offline Out4Trout

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Waiting for the Annual trip up North
Re: how long you been tipupin?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2004, 08:23 PM »
Fished with my brothers when we were kids in the 60's. Cut holes with a hatchet untill we finally got a chisel. Been fishing ever since but seem to have less and less time each year. :'(

Offline toph2o

• IceShanty Rookie
  • when in doubt, jerk
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2004, 08:31 PM »
my first spud was a chisle welded into a 3/4 inch pipe that had a tee screwed to it for a handle and a rope thought it. cutting a hole was work and you did not move much                     tophh2o

Offline BASSandICE65

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Pats!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2004, 08:45 PM »
When I was a youngster me and my friends used a chisel or spud to chip chip chip chip away the hole until we could set the trap. We then moved on to the next potential hole took a long time then. I was around 13 at the time and we were poor, don't remember if gas or hand augers were available. Wouldn't have mattered couldn't of afforded one anyway. Still I do ice fishing to this day, I am only 38 but seems so long ago man how we all and the times change. :-\

Anyday fishing is better than your best day working!!!!!!!!!

Offline Lottie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pa. Goat Boy member
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2004, 10:24 PM »
Started ice fishing in 1961 in the "good old days". Used a spud that my dad had made at the Chevy dealership he worked at welded blade on to rolled steal bar. To me it weighed a ton. We lost 2 thru the ice before they welded a loop on to tie a rope onto. I still have that spud and the tipups we used. My son and I still use them every time we go out. I guess that's why I didn't cut the ice into swiss cheese like I do now jigging, but it's alot noiser on the ice.     

Offline mike692

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2004, 10:49 PM »
Started ice fishing in the late 70s. I can still remember some of the big bass we caught. Used a 6 inch cup type auger for a long time. Finally got a more modern auger (8" Mora) about 8 years ago. If it wasn't for ice fishing I would go completely insane in the winter. ;D

Offline edfalc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2004, 11:55 PM »
this is my first year ice fishing as i just moved from texas to northern wisconsin
when the wife asked me when im going to stop this sillyness..i told her "as soon as it melts"
Shut up and FISH

I Fish for Those who Can't

Offline swalleyi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2004, 05:33 AM »
Hey edfalc how do the fish taste in wisconsin compared to texas.
Repeat after me:   I'm a man, i can change, if i have to, i guess.

Offline edfalc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2004, 07:02 AM »
never had time to fish before i moved up here as i was always out on tour with one  band or another....spent the last 15 years chasing the rock-n-roll dream as a professional roadie......now that im retired , i plan to spend the next 30 years , or more , chasing flags........
Shut up and FISH

I Fish for Those who Can't

Offline swalleyi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 2004, 08:27 AM »
Sounds like you've got the life,probably have a few story's to tell.
Repeat after me:   I'm a man, i can change, if i have to, i guess.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.