Author Topic: How many use your normal fishfinder for hardwater?  (Read 74340 times)

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
How many use your normal fishfinder for hardwater?
« on: Dec 30, 2008, 10:33 PM »
I have the Vexilar FL18 and love it.  Just curious how many people just use their regular fishfinder for the hardwater season?  I have a unit that is rigged with the blue "Genz box" that I always used prior to my Vexilar purchase.  The only problem I had was getting the darned transducer to sit level.  If you use your fishfinder how did you rig your transducer? 
That taxidermy man back home gonna have a heart attack when he see what I bring'em!!

Offline Lone Fisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: How many use your normal fishfinder for hardwater?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2008, 11:05 PM »
one of my buddies took a couple 2x4s and did something like this..

===============   <--2x4
         -----||-----  <--hole
                ||
     2x4-->  ||
                ||
                ||
             [===]   <-- Transducer

Offline jkw

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont Forget The Beer!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2008, 11:11 PM »
i use my fishin buddy 2 portable depth finder on the ice to check depth before i drill more holes and it picks up fish most of the time on the radar....it also shows structure....
TEAM ALASKA          :bow: Pray For Ice! :icefish:

Its better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!

Offline ih772

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2008, 11:11 PM »
I use my M68c on hard and soft water.

You can mount a skimmer xducer to one end of a 16" dowel rod, and a piece of foam as a float on the other end to keep it level in the hole.

Offline highsparks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2008, 11:51 PM »
    I just got done mounting my Lms-520c on my wheeler for the gps map.   I have been thinkin of locating a puck style transducer to use the flasher mode for on the run fishing.   
Its better to be thought an idiot , than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.......

Offline iluvcrappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The real sports in life Bowhunting and Icefishing
« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2008, 04:09 AM »
I used to have mine setup for the ice until I went out a got a Lowrance Flasher

Offline MuskyHunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Time to play the game!"
« Reply #6 on: Dec 31, 2008, 05:49 AM »
For many yrs. I used my Eagle fish ID 2 from my boat on the ice. Now I use a Humminbird portable LCR. Both worked just fine, never had any trouble with the cold. Never had any problem watching the smallest of teardrop jigs either...I simply made a cross out of 1x1's to mount the transducer...worked great! ( I still want a Marcum though)  ;D
Eddie D.      NYRC member 

Offline Madpuppy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • CAGA HOKUWA
« Reply #7 on: Dec 31, 2008, 07:42 AM »
I use the Eagle set up like Muskyhunter does his and it works fine.
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

Offline Keeper Reaper

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rapture of the Deep
« Reply #8 on: Dec 31, 2008, 10:13 AM »
5 gallon.... 5 gallon... 5 gallon Fish Finda !

Just finished this setup this week, we will see how it works in the next week as ice sets in in SE MA. This is my 5 gallon fish finder...

I have had my Eagle Cuda 168 (probably the most common finder used today due to affordablility) rigged to my Auto Jumper portable abttery power pack in my 16 ft. skiff for the last 5 years. I had it wired to a toggle swith on a plastic battery case, which inside held the Auto Jumper battery pack. as I was putting the boat away for the season I thought to myself, why this battery box is no bigger than a 5 gallon bucket.

If you have transom mount fish finder, a 5 gallon bucket with cover, and a little lack of shame. You can do what I did.

Image 1 - Finished unit.

Image 2 -Transducer mount -  Attach the transducer to 3/4" piece of wood about two feet long, mount on the reverse side. That way when the transducer sits in the hole, it is completely tucked away under the ice. This I like, don't have to remove it from the hole when fighting and landing a fish. Just use flush mount screws (counter sunk) with cap nuts on the back side, eliminates sharp or exposed edges that can lead to a cut off. Attach to sides of board with palstic electrical wiring staples (heavy guage).

Image 3 - Mount finder unit bracket to top of 5 gallon bucket with 4 short bolts and cap nuts. One small hole required ot be drilled in cover for the plug to attach to the back of your finder unit. Lock on / snap off lids work best, so you don't have to try to unscrew lid with wires. Go begging at your local bakery for bicket with cover.

Image 4 - Transducer board - drill holes every two inches down the middle to allow you to adjust the transducer depth to ice thickness in 2 inch intervals. I attached another 10 inch length of board to my bucket, this board has 3 1 1/2 inch long narrow bolts (size doesn't matter) held in place with adhesive, and one wing nut on center screw to hold transducer board in place when moving. The other two bolts just help hold the transducer board upright and straight. Mark depths at 2 inch intervals with center bolt on transducer board. Makes setting up at the hole a breeze.

Image 5 - Power Supply - The power wires from the finder unit are directly connected to a "12 volt cigarette lighter adapter plug"! Ya, that's right, don't laugh it has worked just fine for over 5 years on a boat. I thought that a adding the toggle switch to my 5 gallon bucket was a little overboard (excuse the pun), even for one of my buckets. The adapter plugs into the adapter inlet on the Auto Jumper Power Pack. You never have to unplug it, as the power pack has on/off switch settings. At the end of the day, you just plug the power pack in to recharge overnight. Never had the Auto Jumper run out of charge on my boat, even though I have it shared with a "double cigarette lighter adapter plug" with my bow lights for 12 hours or so night fishing.

Image 6 - Travel Position - flip the transducer board upside down and place on the three bolts and secure center bolt with wing nut. Now ready to carry or put on your sled. Weighs roughly about 7 -8 lbs.

Image 7 - Ya baby, it works. That's the temp in basement today.

It did not cost me anything, and it would have been sitting on my boat just collecting snow for the winter. Eagle Cuda 168 has fish alarm setting which should be helpful when I walk away from the hole.

Wa Da Ya Dink ?

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #9 on: Dec 31, 2008, 10:31 AM »
looks good to me gota be better then just sittin on your boat!! :tipup:
If i'm not fish'n then i'd rather be turkey hunt'n [img width=100 height=80]

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 31, 2008, 11:43 AM »
I think its great!  A lot of thought an ingenuity went into that.  Very nice.  I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun with it too! 

I think you said it best...."and it would have been sitting on my boat just collecting snow for the winter."
That taxidermy man back home gonna have a heart attack when he see what I bring'em!!

Offline Boston Tangler

• NoReportPost
  • IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 01, 2009, 10:32 AM »
Nice work keeper reaper. I have an old hummingbird 300TX that never made it on the boat some years back, it's been collecting dust. If I can shake off this 'brown bottle flu' I'm going to build one of those 5 gallon fish finda's. 
You might want get a patent on this thing. Thanks for the detailed post.

Question- Is there a fuse in the cigarette adapter or did you put an inline fuse on the cord? My unit installation instructions calls for a 1 amp fuse. Thanks.
Beer...the cause and cure of most of life's problems...

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 01, 2009, 11:48 AM »
Looks good !!  I'm going to have to try that !!

Offline nypike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ALL THROUGH THE ICE!!!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 01, 2009, 11:49 AM »
5 gallon.... 5 gallon... 5 gallon Fish Finda !

Just finished this setup this week, we will see how it works in the next week as ice sets in in SE MA. This is my 5 gallon fish finder...
(Image removed from quote.)
I have had my Eagle Cuda 168 (probably the most common finder used today due to affordablility) rigged to my Auto Jumper portable abttery power pack in my 16 ft. skiff for the last 5 years. I had it wired to a toggle swith on a plastic battery case, which inside held the Auto Jumper battery pack. as I was putting the boat away for the season I thought to myself, why this battery box is no bigger than a 5 gallon bucket.

If you have transom mount fish finder, a 5 gallon bucket with cover, and a little lack of shame. You can do what I did.

Image 1 - Finished unit.

Image 2 -Transducer mount -  Attach the transducer to 3/4" piece of wood about two feet long, mount on the reverse side. That way when the transducer sits in the hole, it is completely tucked away under the ice. This I like, don't have to remove it from the hole when fighting and landing a fish. Just use flush mount screws (counter sunk) with cap nuts on the back side, eliminates sharp or exposed edges that can lead to a cut off. Attach to sides of board with palstic electrical wiring staples (heavy guage).

Image 3 - Mount finder unit bracket to top of 5 gallon bucket with 4 short bolts and cap nuts. One small hole required ot be drilled in cover for the plug to attach to the back of your finder unit. Lock on / snap off lids work best, so you don't have to try to unscrew lid with wires. Go begging at your local bakery for bicket with cover.

Image 4 - Transducer board - drill holes every two inches down the middle to allow you to adjust the transducer depth to ice thickness in 2 inch intervals. I attached another 10 inch length of board to my bucket, this board has 3 1 1/2 inch long narrow bolts (size doesn't matter) held in place with adhesive, and one wing nut on center screw to hold transducer board in place when moving. The other two bolts just help hold the transducer board upright and straight. Mark depths at 2 inch intervals with center bolt on transducer board. Makes setting up at the hole a breeze.

Image 5 - Power Supply - The power wires from the finder unit are directly connected to a "12 volt cigarette lighter adapter plug"! Ya, that's right, don't laugh it has worked just fine for over 5 years on a boat. I thought that a adding the toggle switch to my 5 gallon bucket was a little overboard (excuse the pun), even for one of my buckets. The adapter plugs into the adapter inlet on the Auto Jumper Power Pack. You never have to unplug it, as the power pack has on/off switch settings. At the end of the day, you just plug the power pack in to recharge overnight. Never had the Auto Jumper run out of charge on my boat, even though I have it shared with a "double cigarette lighter adapter plug" with my bow lights for 12 hours or so night fishing.

Image 6 - Travel Position - flip the transducer board upside down and place on the three bolts and secure center bolt with wing nut. Now ready to carry or put on your sled. Weighs roughly about 7 -8 lbs.

Image 7 - Ya baby, it works. That's the temp in basement today.

It did not cost me anything, and it would have been sitting on my boat just collecting snow for the winter. Eagle Cuda 168 has fish alarm setting which should be helpful when I walk away from the hole.

Wa Da Ya Dink ?
thats awesome I am making one of those tonight
If you consider it a sport to gather your food by drilling through 36 inches of ice and sitting there all day hoping that the food will swim by, you might live in northern New York

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/camofish/IceShantyStuff/walleye22013_zpsbe2b0c13.png

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 01, 2009, 12:06 PM »
So am I understanding this right?  The jumper box is your 12volt source for running your fishfinder for the day?  You don't need to purchase a seperate small 12 volt battery then for your fishfinder??

You can still purchase these at an auto store I assume?  I don't own one, so I don't know much about them.  Thanks.

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 01, 2009, 01:51 PM »
The best part of using these types of fish finders is they will shoot through the ice. You have to pour water on the the ice first.  No hole.

Offline boomdoggie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 02, 2009, 05:41 AM »
I also use a Eagle Cuda useing a lawntractor battery in a homemade plywood box . The Cuda is mounted on top of the box. I have a boom that swings up and down that the transducer is mounted on , Works slick

Offline Madpuppy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • CAGA HOKUWA
« Reply #17 on: Jan 02, 2009, 05:47 AM »
I like the lawntractor battery idea, how long does your charge last you?

Offline bigpapamike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 02, 2009, 07:19 AM »
I use my fish eagle ultra monnted on a homemade wodden box.The transducer is mounted on a adjustablr with a refrigerator puck style level to keep it level. then I power up with 12 volt batteries from my dewalt screw gun using alligator clips works great lasts a long time,easy to recharge, and very light weight.

Offline ih772

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 04, 2009, 12:18 PM »
Use the sealed gel cell batteries to power your electronics. Don't use lawn tractor or motorcycle batteries for two reasons. One, they WILL leak acid and corrode your gear. Two, they are designed to deliver a high amount of current in a short amount of time, not a small amout of current over a long period of time like we do when using fishing electronics. They won't last as many charge, discharge cycles as a sealed gel cell will. You'll end up paying for two lead acid batteries before you'll need to replace one sealed gel cell. Use the right tool for the job.

Offline Keeper Reaper

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rapture of the Deep
« Reply #20 on: Jan 04, 2009, 12:37 PM »
Nice work keeper reaper. I have an old hummingbird 300TX that never made it on the boat some years back, it's been collecting dust. If I can shake off this 'brown bottle flu' I'm going to build one of those 5 gallon fish finda's. 
You might want get a patent on this thing. Thanks for the detailed post.

Question- Is there a fuse in the cigarette adapter or did you put an inline fuse on the cord? My unit installation instructions calls for a 1 amp fuse. Thanks.

Sorry about the delayed reply, I have been out looking for ice in our area or trying to trap some bait. There is an inline fuse in the auto jumper pack itself, I did not wire in a separate one... we will see. Same exact method it ran on my boat for 5 years without a problem.

KR

Offline Keeper Reaper

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rapture of the Deep
« Reply #21 on: Jan 04, 2009, 12:42 PM »
So am I understanding this right?  The jumper box is your 12volt source for running your fishfinder for the day?  You don't need to purchase a seperate small 12 volt battery then for your fishfinder??

You can still purchase these at an auto store I assume?  I don't own one, so I don't know much about them.  Thanks.

Sorry about the delayed reply, I have been out looking for ice in our area or trying to trap some bait. This Auto Jumper (being the 12 volt source) takes the place of your battery (no battery needed). A good deal, probably find one for about $30 at your local Walmart or parts store. I forgot exacltly how much this one cost as it was gift. And - If your snow sled dies because you left the lights or whatever on, you can jump it with the Auto Jumper. Handy tool to have around.

KR

Offline Keeper Reaper

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rapture of the Deep
« Reply #22 on: Jan 04, 2009, 12:51 PM »
The best part of using these types of fish finders is they will shoot through the ice. You have to pour water on the the ice first.  No hole.

I've heard this before, but never tried it. Does the transducer haev to be submerged in water to get a reading ?

Offline fishville

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 04, 2009, 10:22 PM »
Thats pure genuis Reaper. Wish I had thought of it I've been playing with a portable Cuda128 for the last few years but could never get the transducer right. i tried the floatng it with a foam and mast but i seemed to always be in the way. I had the transducer hanging off the workbench this fall and noticed that it seems to hang level on its own. So I'm gonna try hanging it like an ice-ducer.

Sometimes it feels like I live in a Pat McManus story!

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 05, 2009, 03:58 AM »
I've heard this before, but never tried it. Does the transducer haev to be submerged in water to get a reading ?

Just a thin layer of water on the ice is all it needs.

Offline Boston Tangler

• NoReportPost
  • IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 05, 2009, 06:50 AM »
Sorry about the delayed reply, I have been out looking for ice in our area or trying to trap some bait. There is an inline fuse in the auto jumper pack itself, I did not wire in a separate one... we will see. Same exact method it ran on my boat for 5 years without a problem.

KR
Keeper,
     I used an in line 1A fuse to be safe and it bench tested fine.(there's a 15A fuse in the cig adapter) I made 2 pig tails for power. 1 to connect to the battery charger unit with the cig adapter(my battery charger/jumper doesn't quite fit into a a bucket) and 1 to connect to some 12V screw gun rechargeable batteries I have from a broken drill. I bench tested it with both power supplies for several hours on simulation mode. Today I'll put the transducer in some water and test it in working mode to see how the rechargeable batteries hold up.
Beer...the cause and cure of most of life's problems...

Offline Bellybuster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 05, 2009, 07:29 AM »
I've been using my Humminbid 220 for several seasons. I use the batteries from emergency lighting that you would see in a stairwell etc. They get replaced every year in any gov't building. Just ask around. They are real nice because not only are they gel cells they are usually only about 3"X3" and give 12v. Totally rechargable with any 12v charger and weigh less than a pound AND FREE!!!!
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
--Stephen Wright

Offline Madpuppy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • CAGA HOKUWA
« Reply #27 on: Jan 05, 2009, 08:13 AM »
Thanks for the tip Bellybuster, I'm going to look into that.

Offline channelcatben

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 05, 2009, 08:55 AM »

This is my finder in operation. I'll take some more pics tonight to better illustrate it. It's a Cuda 168 (surprised to see so many here...) mounted on a piece of plywood, surrounded by corrogated plastic (from a lawn sign), and stuck into a cutaway cat litter bucket. I put a lid of plexiglass over the display, so that I can throw a heat pack or two in there to keep the screen scrolling along at normal speed when it gets real cold.

Off to the left, you can see my transducer mount. It's a skimmer ducer, mounted onto a 10" long piece of 3/4" PVC, and hanging from a "T" connector. The mount pulls apart and stows for travel inside the bucket.

On the back of the unit, there are 3 PVC rod storage holders. I have some spots for mounting rod holders all around the bucket. There's room for a small tackle box in the bucket, and some other small gear. I have a vex battery running the whole thing.

I still have some things I want to do with it, but it's fully functional as is. It really needs some stickers plastered all over it... and more duct tape! I got the finder, used, for $20. I paid $20 for the battery. The rest of the thing was built with found materials, so I figure I have about $40 in this project, along with about an hour or two of work, and a few hours of chin scratchin'.
\"If everybody\'s thinking alike, then somebody\'s not thinking.\" - G.S. Patton

Offline Madpuppy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • CAGA HOKUWA
« Reply #29 on: Jan 05, 2009, 08:58 AM »
I like the setup Ben, the stickers would make it complete :laugh:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.