Author Topic: Arctic Armor or Ice Armor?  (Read 11105 times)

Offline 3beagles

• Team IceShanty Addict
Arctic Armor or Ice Armor?
« on: Dec 27, 2008, 03:10 PM »
I am thinking about getting a new suit this winter.  Can I get some opinions on the Arctic Armor suit as opposed to the Ice Armor?  I am thinking I would like the added benefit of the Artic Armor since it will help to float me should I fall through some time as I do fish alone at times.  Is the Artic Armor as warm as the Ice Armor?  Also, is it worth the extra money to get the "plus" suit?  The beauty of an Ice Armor suit is that I have a $150 gift card from Gander Mountain and they have the blue Ice Armor suits for $250.  I wouldn't have to spend much more, but I kinda like the idea of Arctic Armor floating if needed.  Opinions please!  Thank you.
Mike

Offline Fire~n~Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Arctic Armor or Ice Armor?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27, 2008, 04:21 PM »
I have the Artic Armor.....and I LOVE it! I can't begin to tell you how warm this stuff is. And BTW, it really does keep you afloat! Definately worth the investment!

Offline mnicedude

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2008, 04:44 PM »
Wife got me a set of the Vexilar stuff for Christmas - one word - FANTASTIC.  Freezing drizzle and I'm kneeling in 2 inches of water with slush on top and I stayed dry and warm.  Best present I have ever gotten!

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2008, 04:48 PM »
all the suits are prob equally as good    just the added insurance of it floating was the major selling point for me   so IDI  Arctic armor gear all the way  and very little advertising on it too!  color was another plus!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline bayonne

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 27, 2008, 04:57 PM »
i have the gloves and love them been useing them hunting havent hadice by me yet but so far they are the warmest gloves ive ever had just wish i saw that fish 307 has them $10 less then direct from idi i paid $35 plus $19 shiping which was a rip off for gloves that weigh hardley anything so i would order from the pro shop so the shanty gets the credit  fish 307 showed free shiping on the siut and i beilive that it was cheaper aswell wish i had the money for the suit i like the camo so its good for hunting

Offline mungo544

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 27, 2008, 04:58 PM »
I am thinking about getting a new suit this winter.  Can I get some opinions on the Arctic Armor suit as opposed to the Ice Armor?  I am thinking I would like the added benefit of the Artic Armor since it will help to float me should I fall through some time as I do fish alone at times.  Is the Artic Armor as warm as the Ice Armor?  Also, is it worth the extra money to get the "plus" suit?  The beauty of an Ice Armor suit is that I have a $150 gift card from Gander Mountain and they have the blue Ice Armor suits for $250.  I wouldn't have to spend much more, but I kinda like the idea of Arctic Armor floating if needed.  Opinions please!  Thank you.
Mike

I have a red and black suit my son has the camo, they are everything they are advertised to be. Got them from walleyedan.com in Minnesota,they had a free shipping and free arctic armor glove offer don't know if that is still available. Gloves are crazy warm and water resistant. Camo material is quiet and softer than the red but just as waterproof. I have read that the plus suits are a little restrictive because the liner is kinda like fleece and can cause your clothing to bunch up. The lining on the regular suits are a quilted polyester type fabric. I think the suits are plenty warm enough without an extra layer of fleece, also the fleece may be more difficult to keep clean. Just my opinion.

Offline 3beagles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 27, 2008, 05:06 PM »
Thanks for the input guys.  I guess I will have to take a trip to Fish 307.
Mike

Offline nontypical

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 27, 2008, 05:26 PM »
i have the ice armor and i love it!but i dont think you could really go wrong with either.

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 27, 2008, 05:30 PM »
I've got the arctic armor, and I love it!
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Offline ICEMAINEiac

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 27, 2008, 05:57 PM »
ICE Armor

Offline spearchucker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 27, 2008, 05:59 PM »
Wife bought me the Artctic Armor for Christmas because it floats. It is very warm, very comforatble, and comes in green which I like.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #11 on: Dec 27, 2008, 06:22 PM »
AA. :tipup:
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline db1561

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My weekend home!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 27, 2008, 06:29 PM »
If you get the arctic armor make sure not to get it to small!  Or you may get cold spots in the shoulders and arms..

I had to return mine for an extra large coat..the large was just to snug in the arms and shoulders.  That was after only 3 layers,  polyprops-wool sweater - fleece made it way to tight for me.. 

I am 5-8" 200lbs they recommended a large..I needed a XL  Just a little advice.  You will not be disappointed  with the purchase!

Offline cagetrapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta Love the Vexilar FL 18:
« Reply #13 on: Dec 27, 2008, 06:41 PM »
I have the Ice Armor Blue Suit..Really warm, and the Shoulder Bibs have the Black Knee pads on them..Not sure what they have in them, but when you get on your knees on the ice, your knees and legs become Warm. Nice Feature. Thinking on wearing a CO2 Life Vest, just pull the cord, and I'm Floating. Just my 2 cents worth.

Stan

Offline RealityCheck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 27, 2008, 06:48 PM »
Cheap dutch version of ice armor suit.....cagetrapper???????
Bullet with a name on it.

Offline SUBCATCHER

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • oh i sink so!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 27, 2008, 07:06 PM »
Id love to get it , but its to much $$$.  Just bought new shack. that was my big purchase for season. Oh well maybe next year ;D
If what comes around goes around is true.... Im coming back as a large shiner

Offline icefisher-45

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 27, 2008, 07:07 PM »
I have the arctic armour and love it :icefish:
Take a kid ice fishing

Offline UpstateNYiceguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fear no fish....
« Reply #17 on: Dec 27, 2008, 08:34 PM »
I have the Vexilar Cold Snap bibs and jacket and absolutely love them.  Priced better than the Ice Armour blue suit as well.  As far as floatation, wearing an inflatable PFD is certainly a good idea.  If I think I'm going to need floatation (because of questionable ice), I'm more apt to stay off the ice.

I'm a fairly big guy (240 lb) and tend to get warm easily.  I just don't see how the Artic Armour would be all that breathable with all the floatation material in it.  Seems like that might actually make your chilled sooner because it can't breath.
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while..."

Offline Ice Shark

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 27, 2008, 08:47 PM »
Got the Ice Armor and works great.

Offline spearchucker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 28, 2008, 07:53 AM »
I have the Vexilar Cold Snap bibs and jacket and absolutely love them.  Priced better than the Ice Armour blue suit as well.  As far as floatation, wearing an inflatable PFD is certainly a good idea.  If I think I'm going to need floatation (because of questionable ice), I'm more apt to stay off the ice.

I'm a fairly big guy (240 lb) and tend to get warm easily.  I just don't see how the Artic Armour would be all that breathable with all the floatation material in it.  Seems like that might actually make your chilled sooner because it can't breath.

The insulation itself is bouyant, there is no flotation material. 8)

Offline herbc69

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 06, 2009, 05:22 PM »
arctic armor all the way

Offline ZEKE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 06, 2009, 08:30 PM »
Arctic Armor and it is warm and not bulky
I got the green suit

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 06, 2009, 11:37 PM »
Just ordered the Artic Armor today.  Can't wait to try it out.  I think I'll be happy with it. 

Jeff

Offline Hunter5124

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 09, 2009, 09:32 AM »
I bought the green & black artic armor plus suit. It is warm and comfortably, but the quality is the worst I have every encountered in my 30 years of ice fishing.  The first day I put it on the right boot cuff strap came unattached.  The Third day the other fell off.  Then the cheap plastic zipper broke (for $300.00 plus dollars you would think it could be metal).  Then the crossover on the bib straps came unattached.  And I have now owned the suit for 1 month!!! >:(   And finally don't bother calling or emailing I.D.I. the manufacturer, they won't return your call or email.

Offline Rip N Lips

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Oct 30, 2009, 08:56 AM »
My 1st suit was a Anti-Exposure Flame Resistant Flotation Suit :: MS-195 FR
A buddy brought back 2 suits from his job on a off shore oil platform he worked on.
I wore this suit out after years of use. Only had my under ware and a tee shirt on had to keep it unzipped most of the time.

Then I got a Refrigi wear Suit. This suit will cook ya When you walk out on the ice folks think the DNR is coming. Jeans and a sweat shirt only. Many year left in this suit.

Now I bought a Ice Armor suit,Gloves,Polar wrap will see how it compares to the others. 

When we get to Rip N Lips

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #25 on: Nov 15, 2009, 07:55 AM »
I bought the green & black artic armor plus suit. It is warm and comfortably, but the quality is the worst I have every encountered in my 30 years of ice fishing.  The first day I put it on the right boot cuff strap came unattached.  The Third day the other fell off.  Then the cheap plastic zipper broke (for $300.00 plus dollars you would think it could be metal).  Then the crossover on the bib straps came unattached.  And I have now owned the suit for 1 month!!! >:(   And finally don't bother calling or emailing I.D.I. the manufacturer, they won't return your call or email.

WOW! I just got done telling the wife about the Artic Armor jacket, my current jacket is pretty much worn out and I'm gonna need a new one this year then I read your post. Holy crap man!
I'm very interested in what your thoughts are on the jacket cause all I'm hearing is how great this product is. I'm interested in your satisfaction of their customer support as well. Let's face it, that's the other half of what is important regarding any product you buy.
I've been looking at the Black Plus Artic Armor jacket. My current bibs are fine for now. It sound like its the bibs your having problems with? and not the jacket?

Can you fill me in alittle more with what's going on and your thoughts good and bad about the jacket?

I'd appreciate it.
JIGGIN.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #26 on: Nov 15, 2009, 08:08 AM »
Arctic Armor.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #27 on: Nov 15, 2009, 10:48 PM »
I have the Artic Armor.  I like the peace of mind of floatation.  I'm a natural sinker in water.  The pockets are okay.  The pockets in the bibs, are in the way.  If you put anything bulky, like a glove in them, it kind of gets in your way of movement.  Especially if you need the kneel down.  There's some restriction around the shoulder area.  I kind of wish the legs were a little larger so I can put that over the pac boots.  I don't wear the top if I'm hand pulling my sled. 
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Bullethead

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Still need a Laker replica for the wall.......
« Reply #28 on: Dec 29, 2009, 04:48 PM »
Thanks for the input guys.  I guess I will have to take a trip to Fish 307.
Mike

Fish307 is selling that type of stuff now?  Man, I haven't been in there for a few years.  They had lures.... and lures....
Arctic Faux is too slow to get to the "Free for All" tip up!

Trooper Bri

« Reply #29 on: Dec 29, 2009, 05:40 PM »
I agree that both are probably equal as far as being warm, plus wind and waterproof. I don't care about the flotation part, but do about being comfortable and warm.

I know not everybody has the opportunity, but it's best to actually get to a brick and mortar and try on these suits if possible. I'm not a fan of buying shoes and certain clothes online.
If you have no choice but to order online, make sure and post your dimensions here on IceShanty and get feedback on what those size people feel about what brand/size they picked. It'll probably prevent you from having lose time exchanging the item.

For the record: I've had my Ice Armor for 5 years now and am very happy with it. Very comfortable, and durable. It will endure multiple 35-50mph slides across bare ice and snow with zero damage. My buddy will attest to that. He just loves JetSled drags behind the quad.  ;D Thought for sure he would have ground through some seam stitches by now, but no deal.
It was all my local shop carried at the time, but the suit fit me fine. Wouldn't have bought it if it didn't.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.