Author Topic: Sorel Boots  (Read 4401 times)

Offline Buck762

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too!
Sorel Boots
« on: Dec 25, 2008, 07:30 PM »
I saw the Sorel Intrepid Explorer boot at BassPro a week ago. They look like nice boots rated to -100 F.  Does anybody own these?? Kinda expensive and I wanna hear feedback before I make the plunge.  I own a pair of Rocky boots but I fell through the ice a few times last year and they just don't seem to be the same... :-\

Offline Buck762

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Sorel Boots
« Reply #1 on: Dec 25, 2008, 09:18 PM »
Nobody owns 'em? ???

Offline jiggin_ADK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2008, 08:48 AM »
I own a pair of sorel chieftain's that are rated to -100.  I love 'em, cold feet are never an issue.
Good things come to those who bait

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 26, 2008, 08:50 AM »

Offline deeman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 26, 2008, 09:14 AM »
Fell through the ice a couple times?   Geesh!!   

Your a brave dude!!

I have some older Sorels and like them but there not rated to -100.  They make a good boot.

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 26, 2008, 09:40 AM »
You don't want to be using those boots when its -100 F. Trust me :D That is COLD

Offline Buck762

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 26, 2008, 12:06 PM »
Fell through the ice a couple times?   Geesh!!   

Your a brave dude!!

I have some older Sorels and like them but there not rated to -100.  They make a good boot.
Ha, ya last year alone I fell through three times. never above the head

Offline Buck762

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 26, 2008, 12:11 PM »
This is what I found on them http://www.buzzillions.com/dz_1574958_men_sorel_intrepid_explorer_winter_boots_reviews

Thanks alot man, I'm gonna do some price hunting but I think thal I'll buy 'em

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Dec 26, 2008, 12:45 PM »
Ha, ya last year alone I fell through three times. never above the head
Better spend your money on a Mustang Survival suit instead....or pontoons ;D

Hey...pontoon boots...now there's an idea!
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline mach1cj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 26, 2008, 02:55 PM »
what size you wear? i have a pair of sorel superiors, size 11, like new, if your interested. ;D

Offline Buck762

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 26, 2008, 03:05 PM »
what size you wear? i have a pair of sorel superiors, size 11, like new, if your interested. ;D

I wear a 12. gives me enough room for my toes to wiggle a bit even if i'm wearing thick socks. I tried the sorels on at bass pro so if I order on the internet I'll get the best size

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 26, 2008, 03:12 PM »
i have a pair of sorel glaciers that are 24 years old. ;)2
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 26, 2008, 03:17 PM »
they are the best, not only do they keep your feet warm, they are pre-water proofed.
i love 'em

Offline mluther

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 26, 2008, 03:18 PM »
I live by my Sorel's. THey are my go to ice boots and i have never had any problem with them, they are wonderful. Even bought my wife a purple pair so she can feel fashionable when she ventures out on the ice!

Offline Flash_King

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 26, 2008, 03:28 PM »
Have had Sorel's for over 20 years.Some gave me a pair of Mickey Mouse boots 4 years ago used twice I WANT MY SOREL'S  Wife finally made me throw away my 12year sorel's and slip on the (NEW) pair she bought for me 2 years ago
GOOD LUCK - GOOD FISHING

Offline Hardwaterhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 26, 2008, 04:31 PM »
 Sorels are great boots. I just bought my fourth pair since I was a kid. I bought the Caribous they our made in Vietnam but the quality seems to still be there.

Bob

Offline viciouscircle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • sure its thick enough to hold our weight, after u
« Reply #16 on: Dec 26, 2008, 05:51 PM »
I have a pair of sorels, not sure which ones....but i picked 'em up for $99 reduced from around $140.....ive never had cold feet, and i'll be out in -30 celcius

AWESOME PRODUCT!
   "SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND!"

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • He who has the gold makes the rules!!!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 26, 2008, 06:12 PM »
Sorels are the boot of choice in the oilfields, construction camps, & logging camps of northern Alberta where temperatures regularly reach -35C to -40C & beyond.  Best foot warmers made(this from 40 years experience in the north).  While Sorel is now owned by Columbia, they still put out a decent product.

Offline Augie

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Teach a man to fish and he'll drink all day.
« Reply #18 on: Dec 27, 2008, 10:57 AM »
My Sorel story.  Took up ice fishing a few years ago and all I had was a pair of not very well insulated, not waterproof boots.  My fishing buddy was at his in-laws for Xmas two years ago in Highmore, SD.  On his way back he called me and said he bought me a pair of boots for ice fishing, actually he bought a pair for himself as well, said he didn't give me the option to back out because I'm a tight wad and it would be stupid to pass on this and I owed him $50.  What he got me was a pair of Sorel Chieftains.  I realize now it was a great deal and my feet have never been cold or wet since.

Offline icefishman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 28, 2008, 10:20 AM »
Lacrosse 1200mg Burly in my opinion is the only way to go! I can fish in ankle deep slush all day and keep dry and warm. Just use regular socks though, too heavy of a sock and your foot will sweat,and  you'll have cold feet
Catching Any?

Offline Buck762

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 28, 2008, 11:17 PM »
What I like about the sorels is that they have a removable liner. I looked at the store and the size 8 was really bulky, the size 12 is gonna be HUGE. I hate big boots though because its tough for me to drive my jeep because it's manual.  If it keeps me warm though it's a must

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • He who has the gold makes the rules!!!
« Reply #21 on: Dec 29, 2008, 06:55 AM »
Buck, wear a pair of normal shoes while you drive, and put on your sorels when you get to your spot.  It keeps your feet from sweating in the vehicle, and an overall warmer experience.

Offline Spin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 29, 2008, 04:16 PM »
   I've owned 4 pr of Sorel's including one steel toed pair that I worked in every day. Very good boots that expanded my time in the Outdoors in winter for around 40 yrs. For the last 3 years however I've been wearing
LaCrosse Ice Kings and I think I'd have to give them the edge in the warmth department. That said baby they are not cheap and they are Very heavy. As long as you're riding, sitting, or not hiking cross country for me they are tops.

Spin

Offline icefisher-45

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 29, 2008, 04:19 PM »
I got another pair of Sorels for me, and my son his first pair. Never had a issue with my feet getting cold. :icefish:
Take a kid ice fishing

Offline Buck762

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 29, 2008, 10:08 PM »
Buck, wear a pair of normal shoes while you drive, and put on your sorels when you get to your spot.  It keeps your feet from sweating in the vehicle, and an overall warmer experience.

Thats what I do now, my Rocky brand boots are a HUGE pain to put on though, especially when you get to the lake before the sun comes up and you can barely see what your doing

Offline Xpressman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 30, 2008, 08:54 AM »
I've got a pair of Sorel Arrowhon's that I've had for 15+ years and they are great. They are rated to -100.  I just bought a pair of light duty(-45) Sorel's for running around in last year, they are great as well. 

Also I believe Sorel is now owned by Columbia.

Offline Madpuppy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • CAGA HOKUWA
« Reply #26 on: Dec 31, 2008, 08:14 AM »
I own a pair of -100 Sorels and the're awesome. Never had cold feet, only thing is if it starts to warm up and temp gets above 20 the're a little to warm. I would agree with the fact that you should'nt wear them while driving to the ice, you'll burn up!
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

Offline Spin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 31, 2008, 09:20 AM »
     Yesterday I was thinking back and I seemed to remember that at least one year you couldn't find Sorel's and there was a rumor that the company had gone out of business. Does anybody have the skinny or remember this?

Spin

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.