Author Topic: best way to tie more than one jig on line?  (Read 1743 times)

nuke1neil

best way to tie more than one jig on line?
« on: Feb 04, 2004, 08:07 PM »
thought i may as well tap into the wealth of knowledge i have here at my fingertips.I've never fished much with more than one jig on my line,but it seems like a great idea.how far apart and what kind of knot is good for keeping good action and not twisting or tangling too much.THANKS.

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
Re: best way to tie more than one jig on line?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2004, 07:56 AM »
If I do tie in a "teaser" above the jig I usually position it about six to eight inches above the lure and use a dropper knot. It's easy to tie once you practice it, even with cold hands, here's a link to show you how.
http://www.marinews.com/fishing/Knots%20&%20Rigging/fk_droploop.htm

If I'm using a small fly above a jig I slide the fly onto the line first and then tie the dropper, that way it floats and won't snag the jig. Always put the heavier lure on the bottom and make your dropper loop shorter than the distance between the two lures. If you want to tie a double overhand knot with the loop it'll keep your teaser in place, but it does weaken the line.
Good Luck.
FTD

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2004, 09:08 PM »
For panfish and trout, I often fish a small tear drop 10-12'' above a sparse maribou jig. Like a no. 10 or smaller tear drop tied with a palomar knot leaving enough extra to tie on the bottom jig or lure. Ideally the top jig will stay at 90 degrees to your line when jigging. There are a lot of variations, don't be afraid to experiment. The above set-up is deadly fished under a spring bobber.

1_Pappy

« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2004, 01:37 AM »

Tie two #10 or #12 gold hooks on the same line... put a minnow on each and watch the tug off war start.  It'll drive perch and crappies nuts. 8)

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2004, 05:29 AM »
Here's another source for knot's
http://www.netknots.com/

FTD is right on, the dropper knot is the way to go. It provides a bit leader standing off the main line. The fish can inhale the bait
deeper than if the jig were tied tight to the main line using something like a polomar knot.

With little practice the loop can be easily adjusted for length and tied in the dark with cold hands.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

nuke1neil

« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2004, 07:27 PM »
thanks for the good tips guys,i knew i'd get some good info.   

flaggggg

« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2004, 07:55 PM »
lf you have the time l usually pretie a bunch of leaders at home and put them in small snack size ziplocks.While l use a polomar knot on the bottom my upper jigs l tie on with a blood knot.They're a little tricky at first but really easy with just a couple of tries and the added action and freefall is worth it.Just my 2 cents......... :'(

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.