Author Topic: Okuma Stinson SI-10 (2010 Review)  (Read 7880 times)

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Okuma Stinson SI-10 (2010 Review)
« on: Dec 08, 2008, 10:24 PM »
Anyone ever use this reel? 6 BB & 5.8 oz -- looks promising

Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline bigbucky1

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Okuma Stinson SI-10
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2008, 03:43 PM »
I have not used that one but I have 2 travertine reels by Okuma and really like them.  They have been good winter and summer fishing.  I would suspect that this reel is just as good if not better then mine.
<br />

Offline kramdawg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2008, 09:29 PM »
Townie- I just got 2 of these and 1 okuma diablo (red) for this ice season.  I got a chance to use them Yesterday and they performed awsome ;D. They are the smoothiest reel I have owned. The drag is awsome and it is so smooth when you reel.  For the money you can't go wrong.  Last year I bought a tica and thought that was smooth until this year.  I will be buying some more of these okuma's for my ultra lite openwater rods.
Kramdawg

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2010, 04:44 PM »
Just found one on Ebay for $18  ;D $35+ is common price for this rare little reel.

A review coming when it arrives...

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2010, 04:49 PM »
I got one last season and it works very well but I think that the other's that I have, penn captiva 500's have a little better drag. You'll like it though.

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Okuma Stinson SI-10 (Review)
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2010, 08:06 PM »
Received the Stinson SI-10 today; initial impressions:

Appears to be another well-made Okuma product; lightest micro reel w/ 7 BB I've found (under 6 oz.) Graphite body & components top grade. Wide hub spool (only 1  :-\) is heavy gauge similar to the Tica Cetus series. Drag is smooth w/ micro click adjustments

Some cool details-- Rotor is thinner & roller bearing arm is beefier than other micro reels

Bail hinges are streamlined

Good-sized soft rubber paddle grip & lightweight cut-out handle

Maybe the best feature was the slick anti-reverse switch integrated into reel neck  :)

This reel holds it own w/ any of the better icin' reels out there IMO.  For $18 on EBAY-- it's was a steal!

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
Re: Okuma Stinson SI-10 (2010 Review)
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2010, 08:24 PM »
I own one of these, I don't use it on the ice, but it us a really nice reel. Smooth and takes abuse well

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2010, 08:34 PM »
I own one of these, I don't use it on the ice

Why not? It's lighter than a Cetus...  ???

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2010, 09:04 PM »
Why not? It's lighter than a Cetus

sorry I should have speciefied, i have the 20 not the 10. wich is larger then the ticas I use. Not to mention they run over $50 in my area to buy new

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I drill holes - lots of holes
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2010, 10:54 AM »
I'm convinced that the guys that spout off about how great the Tica reels are have never held an Okuma.  In my opinion, the Okumas are a much nicer reel!  I have several on my openwater rods, and one size 10 Hardstone on an ice rod - I want to outfit all my rods with Okumas...

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2010, 11:10 AM »
I have a Cetus SB 500; my only complaints are w/ the chunky rotor & less than micro-click adjustments on the drag. Pricey too.

The Stinson is better suited for a light ice rod IMO

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #11 on: Jan 14, 2010, 02:06 PM »
I'm convinced that the guys that spout off about how great the Tica reels are have never held an Okuma

I hate to break it to ya, but your wrong, as mentioned, I own and love the above Okuma reel, but i still prefer my Tica. Have you ever fished with a Tica?

It us cheaper for ne to buy a tica then the above reel and they have yet to let me down

Offline jeffd7766

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2010, 02:49 PM »
i too own both and hands down to the tica. The stinson is really nice and very smooth, but when it gets really cold it stiffens right up and is kinda annoying to deal with. My favorite or the ticas is the SS 500 i also have the se 500 but it seems the drag is a bit smoother on the SS

Offline JayBones

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 17, 2010, 02:47 PM »
I've fished with the stinson 2 ice seasons already and the reel handles flawless drag is smooth as it gets(i use 2# on this reel so drag is very important). I would recomend this reel to anybody.

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 17, 2010, 08:21 PM »
The stinson is really nice and very smooth, but when it gets really cold it stiffens right up and is kinda annoying to deal with.

I too have noticed this but likely it's a lubrication issue (need low temp grease). Found this w/ other reels too.

Offline kramdawg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 18, 2010, 10:02 PM »

My dad just got this pike today on Castle Rock, which is in Wisconsin.  38 inchs and 22 pounds.  The drag on this reel is the only reason we got the fish up the hole.  I can't say enough about these reels.  My dad has two of them and I have 3.
Kramdawg

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 18, 2010, 11:12 PM »
Excellent jig gator!  :thumbsup: Proof of the Stinson's great drag  ;D

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #17 on: Jan 25, 2010, 06:47 AM »
I'm convinced that the guys that spout off about how great the Tica reels are have never held an Okuma.  In my opinion, the Okumas are a much nicer reel!  I have several on my openwater rods, and one size 10 Hardstone on an ice rod - I want to outfit all my rods with Okumas...

I had purchased an Okuma (not the Stinson .. it was their high end model for $100) several years back and, at the time, it didn't compare to the Tica. I had actually contacted Okuma about the excessive play in the handle and percieved shaft wobble .. they said it must have been a lemon. They sent me out a new one and it was exactly the same. I called again and explained that the Tica was 1/3 the price and had just as nice of a drag and less all around play. I also explained upon opening the reel and checking with their schematic washers appeared to be missing.
Last I heard they were going to check with manufacturing as this was not acceptable. I had done a write up on this back then.

Those who are brave are free ..

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 25, 2010, 01:32 PM »
I paid $18 for this reel  ;D Cheaper than a Cetus

How can you detect rotor wobble on a 5.8 oz. reel  ???

I own both & prefer the Stinson-- a more than capable ice reel

I see another Vex vs. LCD trend here; lotta diverse opinions.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #19 on: Feb 07, 2010, 10:29 AM »
Detecting rotor wobble has very little to do with overall reel weight.  Most reels will have a balanced rotor and you won't feel rotor wobble while cranking the handle.  The problem is that some reels simply do not have the tight fit tolerance with the shaft nut screwed down snugged.  A loose shaft nut will make for a wobbly rotor.  Just check the rotor fit tolerance by flexing it on the shaft.  If there's significant movement, then it will become very wobbly after a short period of use.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.