The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Jiffy Tuneup?  (Read 17468 times)

surflizard

Re: Jiffy Tuneup?
« Reply #30 on: Oct 23, 2011, 04:16 PM »
I can't speak for the new jiffy's, my Legend lightning was bought new in 96. it will fire on the 3rd pull no matter the temp, it has run in -40 below temps ! I maintain it religiously with a new NGK plug every year and Startron enzyme fuel treatment and it has never let me or anyone that's ever used it down ! Duck Doctor got a chance to run it last winter and he was surprised, it idled the whole 3/4 of a mile walk to check the ice on the first trip of the Year and yes it will stay running laid down on its side on the ice ! Maintenance pays huge rewards when you do it regularly ! Just my .02

Offline 3rd_Geer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Oct 23, 2011, 04:20 PM »
I wanted to bump this as it is good info for all of us this time of year. Thanks again for the write up.

My only question is should I do this now or wait until cold weather? How cold is cold enough. And my last question is how many pulls should it take to fire it up. Always takes me like 20 with my Legent XT and it's only 1 year old.

Is it the new style Jiffy or the old Tecumseh engine? I have the new style and mine never wanted to start when it was cold or hot. I found on their website the procedure for breaking it in, which is basically running 3/4 throttle for about 15 mins. After doing that mine now starts on first or second pull every time. I have seen alot of people having starting problems with the new engines and this seems to fix it almost every time.

Offline Togue-hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "TEAM LAKE ASSASSINS" - New England
« Reply #32 on: Oct 25, 2011, 12:52 PM »
THANKS FOR THE GOOD INFO!

My JIFFY has idle issues. its about 3-5 years old with low time.......3hp i think...

BUT I GET GOING ON A HOLE...CRANKING though it, then all of a sudden. i machine starts to skip and sounds like it griding gears inside the link from motor to shaft......im curious if im really F'n something up inside....

i think someone before me has the same issue.....any clues would help?
"Put your Shantie Panties on sweetheart, we're going fishing"

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #33 on: Oct 25, 2011, 01:34 PM »
I picked up an older Jiffy 30 over the summer. It fires up and idles fine right now in the warmer weather. Is there any reason to believe i would have issues when the cold weather hits?
Or is this one of those, wait and see what happens type deal?
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Oct 25, 2011, 03:12 PM »
No reason to believe it won't fire in the cold, but it could require some carb adjustments (which are really easy).  If it won't fire, mess with the carb, only two jet screws and an idle screw. 

Offline lives2fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Oct 25, 2011, 05:08 PM »
THANKS FOR THE GOOD INFO!

My JIFFY has idle issues. its about 3-5 years old with low time.......3hp i think...

BUT I GET GOING ON A HOLE...CRANKING though it, then all of a sudden. i machine starts to skip and sounds like it griding gears inside the link from motor to shaft......im curious if im really F'n something up inside....

i think someone before me has the same issue.....any clues would help?

Check and see what type of clutch you have on it. I have a jiify stx stealth and every once in a while in thick and heavy ice, My auger will do that too. when I talked to a couple people, they said that its like a fail safe. The clutch will release for a moment ensuring that you dont spin with it or end up on your but...
No, I mean I REALLY REALLY LOVE TO FISH!!!

Offline fisherman_chuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Oct 25, 2011, 05:59 PM »
I have an old jiffy 8 inch with a old Tecumseh engine on it. What model would that be and were could i get parts?

Offline Powow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Oct 25, 2011, 09:50 PM »
I went to the  propane model and wont go back.  Very impressed

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Oct 25, 2011, 11:39 PM »
I have an old jiffy 8 inch with a old Tecumseh engine on it. What model would that be and were could i get parts?

does it have a big number 30 on it??  does it say 3hp on the top? 

www.partstree.com is where you can get parts for the tecumseh motor.....they went out of business but since the motor was in production for so long there are still parts available for now....

Offline fisherman_chuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Oct 26, 2011, 08:52 AM »
Not sure but think it has a three on top its been painted. Was there one that was not a 3 or 30?

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Oct 26, 2011, 06:08 PM »
Does it more or less look like this??  (not my photo, googled it)

I'm not an expert on the models and such and when which ones were and weren't available....I believe that two 3hp ones were available at the same time but not positive.  If it looks like the one above, model 30, it's been around forever, and it works great. 

Offline fisherman_chuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Oct 26, 2011, 09:24 PM »
yeah but mine has the u shaped handels not the fully looped like the one you showed in the picture.

Offline Relheok

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Swamp Yankee
« Reply #42 on: Oct 27, 2011, 07:54 AM »
Is it the new style Jiffy or the old Tecumseh engine? I have the new style and mine never wanted to start when it was cold or hot. I found on their website the procedure for breaking it in, which is basically running 3/4 throttle for about 15 mins. After doing that mine now starts on first or second pull every time. I have seen alot of people having starting problems with the new engines and this seems to fix it almost every time.

Brand new last year, I drilled maybe 60 holes with it. I am going to get her adjusted in the upcoming weeks and will try that break in. Do you have a link from Jiffy that says that?

Offline Relheok

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Swamp Yankee
« Reply #43 on: Oct 27, 2011, 07:56 AM »
yeah but mine has the u shaped handels not the fully looped like the one you showed in the picture.

That's the Tecumseh 3HP motor then. I think they've been unchanged for years

Offline fisherman_chuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Oct 27, 2011, 08:04 AM »
Thanks!!!! Gonna get her tuned up and running right instead of fighting with it this year! its old but when it runs good its is awesome!!!! I am sure as old as me if not older.

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
« Reply #45 on: Oct 27, 2011, 05:35 PM »
I'm pretty sure that you can go to the jiffy web site and enter the model number
and they can tell you the year etc. on it.  It sounds like you may have an older one armed
bandit.  Post a picture.

"I will never stop targeting trophies, every skunk is one skunk closer to a giant "  RC

"We're going to sit around the shanty mama...."  Johnathan Edwards

"If you are going out there to figure it all out by yourself, well, ice has a
 learning curve second only to fire. I wish you the best of luck."    Looneyducer

Offline Togue-hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "TEAM LAKE ASSASSINS" - New England
« Reply #46 on: Nov 01, 2011, 11:36 AM »
Check and see what type of clutch you have on it. I have a jiify stx stealth and every once in a while in thick and heavy ice, My auger will do that too. when I talked to a couple people, they said that its like a fail safe. The clutch will release for a moment ensuring that you dont spin with it or end up on your but...

YEAH I THINK YOU ARE RIGHT ON, with the model, its a stealth. black and yellow....pretty new..

i always feel like the things gonna burn out a gear....thanks for the heads up...
"Put your Shantie Panties on sweetheart, we're going fishing"

Offline ceejr

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #47 on: Nov 02, 2011, 06:16 PM »
Here are my carb settings on my model 30 . It runs great at these settings.
Screw towards motor (Low Speed) 7/8 turns out from seated
Other screw (High Speed) 1 turn out from seated

Factory was Low side 1 turn out
                    High side 5/8 turn out

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Nov 03, 2011, 10:59 AM »

YEAH I THINK YOU ARE RIGHT ON, with the model, its a stealth. black and yellow....pretty new..

i always feel like the things gonna burn out a gear....thanks for the heads up...

I bought a Pro stealth ( 8")... the first year they came out.. the last of the Tecumseh engines  2 HP... becuase I wanted a lighter model than my model 30 10"( and I have enough spare parts to fix any of the common problems)... it did the same thing you discribe.. stop under heavy load.. chatter and sound like the clutch is coming appart... to me it wasn't right... after thinking about it.. I figured out the engine was reving too high and the govener was mis adjsuted ( there were several other issues with this unit i had to address on my own as well).. after  actualy backing off( only a tiny amount)  the set screw to allow more govener control... the issue went away and the drill cut normally.. actualy FASTER... no more chattering monkey..
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline jchunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Dec 20, 2011, 05:11 PM »
My Auger is has the same carb set-up. Jiffy told me mine is from 1985. Yours must be from 86. I also am curious about this carb and the best setting. Also if anyone could post what carb kit it needs would be helpful.

Offline Tendril77

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Jan 02, 2014, 01:31 PM »
I have the same one as you guys (with the one screw). Wondering about the "second screw" area and adjustments also. Any news?
Ice fishing = #1, getting out of the house, #2 Having a beer or two with good conversation, #3 Catching fish, & #4 Getting out of the house, Did I mention #5? It is getting out of the house.

Offline Dags Bait Maine

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Jan 08, 2014, 07:39 AM »
It seems like I post this every year!

(Image removed from quote.)

Left screw is low speed
Right screw is high speed

Lose the red caps if you have not done so already.

1. Gently close the jets.

Right from Jiffy

2. Open Low speed 1 1/8 turns
3. Open High speed 1 1/2 turns

Mine ran best at 3/4 turn and 1 1/4 turn

4. Adjust the low speed until the engine idles smoothly.

5. Let cool off. while cooling, adjust High speed jet

6. Once cold fire it up and open it right up from an idle.

7. Keep adjusting High speed until you get a smooth transition.

shut off and allow to cool.

Repeat #7 until you get a smooth transition

hope this helps,

Ben

(should not take more than 10 minutes tops)

X2 very good post, although I  start at your ending adjustments. Also I place the Powerhead in a 5 gallon bucket, something about that spinning blade between my legs gets me nervous while I  try to tune, finish it off on the Ice for perfection ~ Marcel
Marcel & Dylan Larose
559 minot ave (207) 783-0388

Offline jchunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Jan 08, 2014, 09:22 AM »
I have the same one as you guys (with the one screw). Wondering about the "second screw" area and adjustments also. Any news?

I have my one screw set at about 1 1/8 turned back from the seat position currently at about 10 and 4 o'clock. As far as the second  screw adjustment, on this model carb it dosen't exist. It's just sealed off. It appears Jiffy used this carb for a couple years.

Maybe Marcel at Dag's bait could give us guys who have this model carb some more information about them?

Offline Tendril77

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Jan 09, 2014, 07:11 AM »
Took my "one screw" and turned it all the way in, then 5/8 out. It runs pretty good full bore, but still sucks on idle. Better than nothing.
Ice fishing = #1, getting out of the house, #2 Having a beer or two with good conversation, #3 Catching fish, & #4 Getting out of the house, Did I mention #5? It is getting out of the house.

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #54 on: Jan 09, 2014, 08:22 AM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carb-Kit-for-Tecumseh-Jiffy-Ice-Auger-Model-30-31-/380390275948

Here is one rebuild kit for the Model 30 carb.  If you disassemble the carb and  parts don't resemble this its a different carb.  But for those who want to fool around a bit and try something try this.    The brass Jet you see remove needle from it and any rubber neoprene gasket diaphragm etc.  Just spray gumout and shoot through the jet to clean.  A cutting torch tip cleaner also can be run through the holes or even a needle or small wire. Chances are its gunked up from the 2 stroke oil and basically is leaning out the adjustments which wont fix itself it must be cleaned.  BUT BEWARE Gumout will swell and destroy the neoprene so be sure to remove it before cleaning.  Reassemble the carb and try it. I can bet it will run great.

Offline wallyboss

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Feb 17, 2014, 07:04 PM »
I have my Jiffy running good with these instructions. But compared to a few that I have heard around me they seem to hit a higher gear?? Their sound changes and they turn a lot faster than mine ever does.     Also as soon as I tilt it to put it down it stalls, is this normal?.  It's a 3 hp.
When Hell freezes over !!!!  I'll be there icefishing!!!

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #56 on: Feb 19, 2014, 09:05 PM »
I tune my auger every year by running sea foam through it.    ;)

I have been doing this for over a decade, auger still runs very good for its age.

I have used sea foam on bad running tractors, snow blowers, gennies, weed whackers and a few cars. Stuff works extremely well in my experience.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline hoppy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Feb 23, 2014, 08:04 AM »
seafoam is good but only so good. Sure it can clear up a carb issue but in my experience there is no substitute for really cleaning it and that would include taking it apart. every part! After that is done and the machine is running fine without any additives then I will introduce the seafoam to keep it clean. Seafoam is good but people have this misconception that is will fix your badly running engine if you dump some in the tank. You may get lucky.
The little 2 strokes are really easy to maintain. Anybody with 1/2 a brain and a screw driver and the internet should be able to repair/clean/adjust one.
Not everybody needs one but an ultrasonic cleaner does wonders for carbs with the right cleaner.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.