The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Jiffy Tuneup?  (Read 17467 times)

Offline IceLunker

• IceShanty Rookie
Jiffy Tuneup?
« on: Dec 08, 2008, 07:55 PM »
Hello;

Seems the Tecumseh list of places i can get my Jiffy Tuned up at is not really up to date.
I've been calling around and keep getting, "No we don't tune Ice augers"...  Maybe I can convince
them its a really big weed whacker.

Does anyone know of a good place to tune up a Jiffy around the intersections of Rt495 and Rt2?

Thanks;

-g
"A bad day of fishing, is better than a good day at work"

Offline Pike Bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • May the PIKE be with you!
Re: Jiffy Tuneup?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2008, 08:06 PM »
I brought mine to two places last year...a place in Groton and a place in Nashua.

Both of them were clueless with what needed to be done.

I got frustrated and called Jiffy. They ended up sending me a new auger because the new Jiffy Legend I had was running poorly.

Offline BigG3206

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2008, 09:52 PM »
Ice:  I brought mine to Ed's in Tyngsboro a couple of years ago.  Not sure he still does augers but worth checking him out.

A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work!!

Offline FallRiverIceMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2008, 10:30 PM »
brought an older one that wasnt even running to a local( fall river) small engine/lawnmower/snowblower mechanic...tecumseh engines are really popular with lawn equipment...he changed all the fuel lines, pull cord,throttle spring,sparkplug and soaked/tuned the carb perfectly...fence companies use similar augers to drill holes so its a common set up, charged me about 50 bucks...look up small engine, lawn repair in your area, shouldnt be a mystery at all...

***unoman donated the jiffy and its greatly appreciated...karl, hope to be able to meet up again this winter and show you the beast...

Offline newbraintree

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get a Set!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2008, 02:41 AM »
How old is your Auger?  If the powerhead is the AV520, you can also bring it to a Boat repair shop or marina as this engine was also used as an outboard trolling motor.

What is wrong with it now?  They are very simple to work on.
, , ,

Offline lenz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 'Ice Only' Fisherman
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2008, 07:13 AM »
what's wrong with it? they are simple to work on. only an idle screw and mixture screw. i take care of mine last 15+ years. i'm close by, work in the westford tech park...

burp
lenz
Member of G.O.D.S

One pill makes you larger
And one pill makes you small
And the ones that mother gives you
Don't do anything at all

Offline unoman

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2008, 04:34 PM »
Hey FallRiver...good to see ya back...glad the beast worked out for ya....

K

Offline IceLunker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2008, 08:00 PM »

Hello All;

Thanks for the replies, been away for a bit and lately w/out power.

I have used Ed's in Tyngsboro for Lawn mower a few times.

The Auger is about 4 years old, low hrs on it.  When i bought it, it never seemed to idle right.
Always very rough, almost stalls, even after drilling several holes.  Had to keep a finger on the
gas a bit to keep it from stalling.

This year, having a hard time getting it started and keeping it running...  From what I've heard,
people on the shanty have said, adjusting the idle is key.  I'm hoping thats it.  Any pointers on
adjusting the Idle and Mix?

Thanks;

-g

Offline nalegtx

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • HARDCORE!!!...
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2008, 10:01 PM »
small engines are a breeze to work on. plug, wire, carb cleaner plug gap tool, and knowledge of air/fuel mix screws high and low speed. real easy stuff
" Can't get there from here...no......"

Offline newbraintree

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get a Set!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 17, 2008, 02:28 AM »
Hello All;

Thanks for the replies, been away for a bit and lately w/out power.

I have used Ed's in Tyngsboro for Lawn mower a few times.

The Auger is about 4 years old, low hrs on it.  When i bought it, it never seemed to idle right.
Always very rough, almost stalls, even after drilling several holes.  Had to keep a finger on the
gas a bit to keep it from stalling.

This year, having a hard time getting it started and keeping it running...  From what I've heard,
people on the shanty have said, adjusting the idle is key.  I'm hoping thats it.  Any pointers on
adjusting the Idle and Mix?

Thanks;

-g

Have you replaced the gas lines and spark plug?  Also, take the carb off and soak it in Gumout
, , ,

Offline thefinlessbrown2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • fulfilling dreams in good company
« Reply #10 on: Dec 20, 2008, 09:17 AM »
jiffy augers don't usually idle ..not without modification anyways ..used them all my life never seen one come that idled .. unless your holding it straight up n down gravity feed carburation .    thats why i switched to switched to strike master

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 20, 2008, 09:24 AM »
It seems like I post this every year!

Left screw is low speed
Right screw is high speed

Lose the red caps if you have not done so already.

1. Gently close the jets.

Right from Jiffy

2. Open Low speed 1 1/8 turns
3. Open High speed 1 1/2 turns

Mine ran best at 3/4 turn and 1 1/4 turn

4. Adjust the low speed until the engine idles smoothly.

5. Let cool off. while cooling, adjust High speed jet

6. Once cold fire it up and open it right up from an idle.

7. Keep adjusting High speed until you get a smooth transition.

shut off and allow to cool.

Repeat #7 until you get a smooth transition

hope this helps,

Ben

(should not take more than 10 minutes tops)

Offline IceLunker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 20, 2008, 05:05 PM »

I did it!

I replaced the spark plug, replaced the gas lines. Got some fresh gas, mixed 24:1.
Set both screws and then backed them off to 1-1/2 and 3/4. Cranked it up and
ended up with low speed between 1-1/2 -> 1-1/4 ish.  high speed didnt seem to need
to be adjusted.  Once it was warmed up for a few mins, it went from idle to full speed,
no stall, real smooth. 

As for idling...  Before this, it would never just sit and idle.  You had to give it some
gas and go.  Now I start it up, and it goes.

Thanks for the support, bring on the big ice.

-g

Offline newbraintree

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get a Set!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 20, 2008, 05:11 PM »
I did it!

I replaced the spark plug, replaced the gas lines. Got some fresh gas, mixed 24:1.
Set both screws and then backed them off to 1-1/2 and 3/4. Cranked it up and
ended up with low speed between 1-1/2 -> 1-1/4 ish.  high speed didnt seem to need
to be adjusted.  Once it was warmed up for a few mins, it went from idle to full speed,
no stall, real smooth. 

As for idling...  Before this, it would never just sit and idle.  You had to give it some
gas and go.  Now I start it up, and it goes.

Thanks for the support, bring on the big ice.

-g

Nice job lunker!!!  Now put up the "Ice Auger Repair Shop" sign
, , ,

Offline BigG3206

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 20, 2008, 09:50 PM »
I've got a question for you guys that are better with small motors than I.  I fired up my Jiffy yesterday and after two or three pulls, the recoil seemed to get stuck as I was pulling.  The d@*n handle hit my thumb so hard I thought I broke it.  This happened to me last year a couple of times.  Any idea what may be causing this?

Thanks

G

Offline newbraintree

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get a Set!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 21, 2008, 07:52 AM »
I've got a question for you guys that are better with small motors than I.  I fired up my Jiffy yesterday and after two or three pulls, the recoil seemed to get stuck as I was pulling.  The d@*n handle hit my thumb so hard I thought I broke it.  This happened to me last year a couple of times.  Any idea what may be causing this?

Thanks

G

That happens to me maybe three or four times a year also.  I believe that it is just compression in the engine and there is no way to avoid it.  Larger Chainsaws will have a compression release valve on them, but the Tecumsah boys did not offer that feature on these death drills.  The 3hp Jiffy has a 5.16 cubic inch displacement, which is about 50 - 55 cc's (its early so I am not ready to do math conversions) so I would compare the size of this engine to a midsize chainsaw.
, , ,

Offline BigG3206

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 21, 2008, 09:05 PM »
I'm starting to think twice sometimes when pulling the cord.  Hurts like hell when it snaps back unexpectedly :%$#!:

Offline Grampy45

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 23, 2008, 07:57 PM »
Hi

I am a new memeber and I just wanted to say thanks for this info. I picked up a used Jiffy Model 30 that the idle was set too high. The auger was going like a bat out of hell with no throttle applied at all. I dont know a lot about small engines but I knew I could make the adjustment. I didnt realize that the red thing were just caps. I turned as much as I could with not effect. Once I saw your post it was a piece of cake! Thanks!!!

Offline nalegtx

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • HARDCORE!!!...
« Reply #18 on: Jan 03, 2009, 08:33 PM »
tunning is easy just make sure you guys don't get over zealous and start cranking those screws then your in for a heap of trouble and gotta start from factory settings
" Can't get there from here...no......"

Offline jrg615

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 04, 2009, 05:51 PM »
I wanted to thank duck doctor for his post...  Your instructions saved the day for me.  My Jiffy wouldn't have run long enough on opening day to cut my 5 holes had I not seen this, not to mention a few for other as well.  Thanks again man.
jrg

Offline PIKEKILLER1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 04, 2009, 06:18 PM »
i got the new jiffy legend 3hp and i takes a couple minutes to warm up or it has no power and the clutch slips if itc cold is that normal when its warmed up its mint

Offline mppatriots

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 04, 2009, 06:32 PM »
I've had my jiffy for about 7 years and i hate to admit it but i've never done anything more than a sparkplug replacement.  Heck there have been years where i didn't drain the fuel out of it.  It runs great.  I've started it up this year and other than a loose fuel hose, really not much of a problem.

Offline rpone_99

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 05, 2009, 08:54 AM »
I have an old Jiffy thats over 25 years old. Still runs like new and starts first or second pull. In the time I've had it I've rebuilt the carb twice (real easy with a kit), a new plug once in a while and blades when needed. I've never had to adjust the carb screws at all.

Offline newbraintree

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get a Set!
« Reply #23 on: Jan 05, 2009, 09:05 AM »
i got the new jiffy legend 3hp and i takes a couple minutes to warm up or it has no power and the clutch slips if itc cold is that normal when its warmed up its mint

bring it out next weekend and I'll take a look
, , ,

Offline PIKEKILLER1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 05, 2009, 10:48 AM »
bring it out next weekend and I'll take a look
will do

Offline Snowfun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag!!!
« Reply #25 on: Jan 05, 2009, 06:40 PM »
What about this. I bought a used Jiffy from a friend. It's a one owner auger and starts on the first or second pull. runs great but the auger doesn't stop turning after punching through the ice so it pulls a ton or water up onto the ice/boots, etc.
Feeding birds, one pike at a time...

Offline Relheok

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Swamp Yankee
« Reply #26 on: Oct 22, 2011, 08:57 AM »
I wanted to bump this as it is good info for all of us this time of year. Thanks again for the write up.

My only question is should I do this now or wait until cold weather? How cold is cold enough. And my last question is how many pulls should it take to fire it up. Always takes me like 20 with my Legent XT and it's only 1 year old.

Offline BogMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Oct 23, 2011, 10:34 AM »
We still use the gas stablizer and leave some gas in it all season. Not a lot as we don't drill 100's of holes so we constantly adding a bit of fresh gas every few trips out. But as for pulls usually within 5 it's starting.

Offline lenz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 'Ice Only' Fisherman
« Reply #28 on: Oct 23, 2011, 02:10 PM »
20 pulls?? something is not right. my 30 yr old eskimo is about 4-5 pulls.

burp
Member of G.O.D.S

One pill makes you larger
And one pill makes you small
And the ones that mother gives you
Don't do anything at all

Offline BJ

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLAAAAGGGGG!!!
« Reply #29 on: Oct 23, 2011, 03:49 PM »
Have my Jiffy for about 15 years and runs great. Had a problem with it stalling as I went hole to hole. Adjusted the low and high screws and it runs like a champ.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.