The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: what size auger???  (Read 6279 times)

Offline W_Morrison

• IceShanty Rookie
what size auger???
« on: Dec 08, 2008, 07:19 PM »
I got an eskimo z51 powerhead and I need an auger.  Trying to decide between the 8,9,or 10 inch.  What do you guys think?

Offline jaklakmak

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I LIVE OUTDOORS!
Re: what size auger???
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2008, 07:25 PM »
Depends on the species your catching. I use a 10" but thats only because of some of the larger lakers we catch. If its panfish then 8" should be plenty and of course cheaper!

Offline W_Morrison

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2008, 07:27 PM »
Mostly panfish, but might hed up north once in a while for some pike and walleye

Offline the harvester

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2008, 08:49 PM »
8 inch is fine

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2008, 08:58 PM »
flashers and kids both fit in 10" holes. 

Offline MrMarty51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2008, 09:02 PM »
Get one of each then everybody will be HAPPY. ;D

"Every hour spent fishing is NOT taken from ones life"Quote from Grant Boyson

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2008, 09:15 PM »
8 is nearly perfect, it gives you a little more room then a 6inch and you wont taks as much flak from the 10inch haters on this site,, ;D

But seriously, 8 should do you well, I have pulled everything from laker, pike and walleye thru one, no complaints

Offline fin-n-feather

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Shanty rocks!!!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2008, 02:16 AM »
I would have to say an 8".  I fish mainly gills and walleye and northern in the afternoons and evenings.  8" a general good size.

Offline princecraft

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 09, 2008, 05:05 AM »
6 inch would be enough.
Fisherman's Prayer
   I pray that I may live to fish
          Until my dying day.
And when it comes to my last cast,
       I then most humbly pray:
When in the Lord's great landing net
           And peacefully asleep,
      That in His mercy I be Judged
              BIG ENOUGH TO KEEP.

Offline Jiggin in Michigan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hello...Is anyone down there?
« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2008, 05:52 AM »
8 inch is good for me...I can't wait to catch a fish that wont fit through an 8 inch hole. :o

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #10 on: Dec 09, 2008, 06:56 AM »
Depends on the ice and the target.  Ice 6" or less - hand auger to the size for the target (for total weight of equipment considerations and least amount of human energy output).  Ice over 6" power auger, 10" - only bc they don't make a 12" model.  ;D

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 09, 2008, 08:38 AM »
8" is a good all around hole size.

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 09, 2008, 01:58 PM »
8" has worked well for me so far, I do loose some fish at the bottom of the hole when the ice gets really thick though. When I upgraded to a gas auger, I went to a 10" to give a bigger field of view when trying to sight-fish in 36"+ of ice.
A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Offline phesant

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 09, 2008, 03:03 PM »
8 works great for me

Offline rubline

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 09, 2008, 03:23 PM »
  Would you buy a car with  200 hp or 300hp?  My vote is bigger is better get the 10".

Offline landry

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Oct 05, 2011, 09:14 PM »
I am going to order a nils hand auger:)
I currently have 6 inch auger.
Should I get the 6" again - it is easier to cut with I know.
How big of a fish (crappie, walleye, pike) can I get through a 6" ice hole?
Thanks
Landry

Offline Nozzlejocky

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wisconsin...where God goes to relax!
« Reply #16 on: Oct 05, 2011, 09:53 PM »
Having fished through nearly every size hole available, I can honestly say that a 6" auger will cover 99.9% of my fishing.  I have 5" and 6" hand augers and an 8" power auger.  My power auger has a chipper style blade and I've pondered getting a Lazer (shaving) style blade for it.  If I do, I'll likely go with the 6".  Most of my fishing is for panfish, though I am known to set tip ups out for pike.  Still, I'm confident that a 6" will suffice in most cases.  I certainly don't think anything bigger than an 8" is warranted for any but a few anglers after the largest of prey.

Offline Mr. S.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Oct 05, 2011, 09:54 PM »
Personally, if you are going to catch panfish, then a 6" is plenty...........I used a 4 inch for the longest time and never had a problem. If you are looking for walleye and pike, I would go 8"

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Oct 05, 2011, 10:01 PM »
Not many fish will not fit through a 6" hole.   The only problem with a smaller hole is that as time goes by, the hole gets even smaller.. you need to chip it back open or drill another hole. 
That wouldn't be a problem if you are in a heated shanty jigging or doing a lot of moving around.  But If you set out tip ups and spend any time on the ice, it will start to refreeze.
If you choose to get a larger hand auger, you will be less likely to move as much once you have set up.  As you mentioned, it is harder to drill an 8" hole then a 6". 
I'd suggest sticking with the 6" Unless of course you are targeting Large pike and Musky....Other wise a 6" is plenty large enough...

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #19 on: Oct 06, 2011, 04:27 AM »

I have a 7" lazer hand auger & works just fine for me. A lot of the time I fish w/my sons both have power augers 8" & 10" & as good sons go they drill holes for the old man. I only request them to barrow or have them drill holes for me is when the ice is over 16" & I'm going to set tip-ups out. Of course there are the days I"m stubborn & hand drill all my holes just to prove that I can still do it. Helps to keep'em sharpe, that reminds I need to get mine sharppened. :tipup:

Offline ImAJigginFool

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I see 'em!!
« Reply #20 on: Oct 06, 2011, 05:28 AM »
My uncle and I were using an 8" jiffy for year, but it was sold last year for the much lighter 6" with a Tanaka power head.

The WORST day of fishing is ALWAYS better than the BEST day in the office.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Oct 06, 2011, 06:45 AM »
I used a 7" Mora for a few years and it worked good. I went out and bought the Z51 Eskimo Last year with the 10" Auger. The second trip I took my wife on she stuck her foot in one of the holes walking backwards to take my picture and got her leg wet all the way to the knee. 10" is over kill for me and the wife is still mad that I drill so many holes. THey are too large and if I can find a smaller auger for it I will go with 8 or even 6"   
<===Lefty===

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #22 on: Oct 06, 2011, 07:27 AM »
when you are looking at hand augers, I say 6 is all you need.. once you go power I would jump up to 8 or 10

Offline jimyoumook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Oct 06, 2011, 07:40 AM »
six incher if pan fish is what your after jump to an 8 if your after bigger fish

Offline petrgill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Oct 06, 2011, 07:54 AM »
Have a 10in Jiffy.  Not a real big jigger, if I was I think I'd want the smaller size.

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Oct 06, 2011, 08:42 AM »
i own the 8 inch nils hand auger, it will drill 2 holes thru 14 inches black ice in under a minute. when you get to 20 inches ice it does bog down a bit using that handauger but the bigger size is good for the whatifs. i dont think i would go smaller

Offline MoreTroutPls

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Oct 06, 2011, 08:45 AM »
Since you have already decided to spend the cash on a Nils, go for the 8".  It drills holes just as easily as a 6" Mora.  I have the 8" Nils; my son has a good 6" Mora and he borrows my Nils if I am not using it.  The 8" gives you more space to avoid getting tangled in a depth finder transducer cable, shrinks less when the holes skim over, and makes it easier to line up and pull a larger fish through the hole.

I have used 6", 7', and 8" Moras, a 6" Lazer as well as an 8" spoon auger.  With the Mora's, I used to drill a couple holes to get warm.  With the Nils, that doesn't work.  I now have to light my heater to get warm.   The 8" Nils is my choice.
Everyone has to believe in something.  I believe I'll go fishing.
Member of the G.O.D.S

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Oct 06, 2011, 08:50 AM »
go for the 12"!  bigger the better!  >:D :whistle:
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

rickl1968

« Reply #28 on: Oct 06, 2011, 09:12 AM »
I have a 10" and the wife says I hit the bottom with it.  >:D :whistle:

But if shes happy with the 6", you might want to move up to the 8", things can only get better from there.  ;D

Dosen't freeze up as quick
Easy to put your depth/finder in the same hole
Better for hole watching
etc....

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Oct 06, 2011, 10:09 AM »
Since you have already decided to spend the cash on a Nils, go for the 8".  It drills holes just as easily as a 6" Mora.  I have the 8" Nils; my son has a good 6" Mora and he borrows my Nils if I am not using it.  The 8" gives you more space to avoid getting tangled in a depth finder transducer cable, shrinks less when the holes skim over, and makes it easier to line up and pull a larger fish through the hole.

I have used 6", 7', and 8" Moras, a 6" Lazer as well as an 8" spoon auger.  With the Mora's, I used to drill a couple holes to get warm.  With the Nils, that doesn't work.  I now have to light my heater to get warm.   The 8" Nils is my choice.
x2  You will be much happier with the 8"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.